OGXbox.com

Xbox trace repair issues

Lina_Inverse_

After doing the trace repair (I used this video as an example) my Xbox powers on automatically but at least the random shutdown issues appear to be fixed. I can't seem to open the disc drive unless I press both power and the disc drive buttons. I notice the J2 trace seems to be causing it as I removed that one trace wire in troubleshooting. Nothing appears to be shorting. I can provide pictures once I'm done formatting/setting up the HDD I just put in.

I really don't mean to sound condescending... but an opening line like that means I'm probably going to.
I was at ~23.00, where you transferred a blob of solder from the iron tip to the connection. At that point I had to walk away and have a rather large drink (partly because I was facepalming but mostly because my glass was empty). I didn't see the rest of your joints but if that one was indicative of the others, I'd start again and re-solder them properly. You shouldn't be using the iron to transport solder to the joint. The tip should be tinned and only used to heat the joint, then solder added directly to the joint. I'm not saying your connections are bad, as I can't possibly know, but you can't guarantee they're not, if that's how you're soldering them.
Also, how old is that board? You really need to clean your solder points before soldering. There will be oxidation and contaminations that needs to be removed. Clean your solder points, and use flux.

And get some sharper probes for your meter.

Edited by Baggashite

On 3/31/2021 at 6:24 PM, Baggashite said:

Sorry, I just realised that isn't your video (?)... If so, ignore everything I said.

Not mine. I did notice a trace which was corroding in my console that he missed in that video, also undid J2 which looked fine. Now it appears the console I did is working good.

Edited by Lina_Inverse_
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 6:41 AM, Lina_Inverse_ said:

Not mine. I did notice a trace which was corroding in my console that he missed in that video, also undid J2 which looked fine. Now it appears the console I did is working good.

Apologies for that. I wrongly assumed it was your video.