OGXbox.com

Xbox ver 1.4 power supply issue.

teamxbox

I am repairing xbox 1.4 for a friend. His box is having power supply issue. There is not enough volt to run the hard drive. I used external 12v/ 5v source to power the hard drive and the system boots up fine. The dvd disk drive is also working fine as it is connected to the xbox power supply. I took the xbox power supply out and didn't notice any bad caps or bad solder joints. With everything connected and powered up ,except for the power to the hard drive I get the following voltage values.

Orange = 3.3V, Blue = 3.3V, Brown =3.3V, Red = 4.48V, and Yellow = 10.5V.

I tried adjust the pot and that is max i can get for red and yellow wires. Which caps do I need replace for these two voltages ? or is there something else i can check?

Thanks.

Edited by teamxbox
add info

51 minutes ago, teamxbox said:

Orange = 3.3V, Blue = 3.3V, Brown =3.3V, Red = 4.48V, and Yellow = 10.5V.

I think I understand all of these readings, PSU connector wire color going to the motherboard, but what are the readings of the hard drive's Molex connector.  It only has Red, Black and Yellow wires going to it.

If the motherboard's connector only has 10.5V for yellow and 4.48V for Red, I don't see how the DVD drive would be operating as it too has 12Vdc and 5Vdc with operating tolerances of +/- 10% going to it. 

• Like 1

The molex connector has the same readings where the red is 4.48v and the yellow is 10.5V. When the HD is connected to the xbox power supply you hear a slight click, no hard drive spinup. I checked the voltage at the DVD connector and it is 10.5v and 4.48v as that is the same voltage coming off power supply. The Thompson DVD drive works fine as I was able to TSOP the board and update the dashboard. I flash with the OG XBOX DVD tool disc. The xbox was having this issue before I TSOP.

I found a cap kit at console5 for my power supply that I might order.

https://console5.com/store/checkout/cart/configure/id/293349/

image.png.fda9f166b8ce07a04952dc2dbc24e8bd.png

Edited by teamxbox
add info

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

It's not a 220 volt supply running on 110 volt is it?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I looked at the board and it says ~120vac, so no its not a 220vac. 

It's kinda funny when I was trying to adjust the pot, is that the adjustment range is very small like less than 1/8 of turn. Anything more the xbox won't even turn on. It had the tamper factory seal on it and took off to adjust.

9 hours ago, Hari125 said:

The voltage seems mostly fine to me. There are some power loses and it's possible to be broken capacitor/s (even if they arent leaking).

I'll probably order the cap kit since it will still be cheaper than getting used supply. They are running around $30-40 shipped.

If the voltage was 11.5v instead of 10.5v the hard drive would power up.

Edited by teamxbox
added info

I had some caps on hand and changed out the 47uf 25v and 1000uf 16v. I was able to tweak out to 10.92v on yellow and 4.85v on red. The hard drive is able to power up off the Xbox power supply. 😳 That is really on the edge of threshold there

Edited by teamxbox
add info

Sounds like you are getting close and it may come good with all the caps replaced.

It's the 5 volt that I would be more concerned about as long as the 12 volt is close it will work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.