OGXbox.com

Enhanced cooling... or not!

Baggashite

I was doing HDD swaps on the OG, and noticed the GPU cooler was getting quite hot, so I decided to draw up and print a shroud to keep the chips cool while I worked on the boxes,and came up with this:

shroud1.jpg.3b33e156c70184efd512d9d31cb13266.jpg

shroud2.jpg.d50e6b8fd9e2f4bf874104d85e663482.jpg

It made quite a difference to the temperatures, especially the GPU.

temps.jpg.8ab01f014c7298d6b38b25c203cf96ca.jpg

It was only a temporary measure, to cool the GPU while I had the box apart, and when I tried to fit the drives back in, neither would fit, so I decided to have a go at making a shroud that would fit with the drives installed... Nightmare! Those things are really close to everything. I printed a few designs, to try to get one to fit perfectly, and I finally managed a couple of designs that allowed both drives to fit perfectly, but it meant losing the ramp to the GPU cooler.

This was the first one:

cooling-fail2.jpg.711e230578a6dc11570e2e7e3313a802.jpg

This one meant there was a little bit of cutting involved on the DVD cradle, so I designed another, which I won't post, because neither of them worked worth a shite. The one in the picture dropped the CPU temp by about 1 degree at idle, while the GPU temp stayed the same. The gpu cooling would have been much better if I didn't have to lose the ramp in order to fit the DVD drive, so I'll probably make one for my DVD drive-less box, but what an absolute waste of time! Although the original one did work well 🤬

Edited by Baggashite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Baggashite said:

It made quite a difference to the temperatures, especially the GPU.

The GPU is actuality the mother board temp, the temp senor (U6F1) is in-between the MCPX chip and the clock cap.

But I like the idea and it might be useful for a slim build.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The GPU is actuality the mother board temp, the temp senor (U6F1) is in-between the MCPX chip and the clock cap.

But I like the idea and it might be useful for a slim build.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

For some bizarre reason, I assumed 'GPU temperature' was referring to the GPU temperature... 🤪

What a strange thing to call it.

In that case I have no idea what difference it made to the actual GPU temperature, but the GPU cooler was much cooler.
I think I'm going to have to try this again, with temperature probes attached to the coolers, as I'm starting to question my own sanity now, because it should definitely have made a noticeable difference.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:52 AM, GoTeamScotch said:

That's pretty clever. I usually use plastic cards or some janky solution like that when I have mine all disassembled and powered on. Can I buy one from you?

My printers are flat out printing things at the moment, but I've attached the .stl for the print in the first picture. It should print fine without supports.
I'd use PETG or ABS, but PLA would probably be OK, so long as your box isn't too hot.
I might have a bash at a full redesign. I'm just waiting for some thermistors to arrive, so I can test the actual temps of the sinks, and see how effective the designs are.
Edit to add... This one will not work with the HDD or DVD drive installed.

cooler-shroud-upright.stl

Edited by Baggashite
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

The first one would also work for me but I have a 1.1 and the GPU has a fan, would a shroud be out of the question or just make it taller?  I guess I'll have to remove the fan and test if the shroud lowers the temps.  Got two temp displays coming so I'll be able to install a probe to both the CPU and GPU and get an accurate reading.

Thanks Baggashite, I was looking to install some kind of better heat sink but the shroud idea might be enough.

What's labeled in many replacement dashboards as the GPU temperature is NOT.  The Xbox's GPU has no temperature sensor on it.

The temperature displayed is that of the ambient air temp inside the case near the ADM1032 dual-temp sensor located at location U6F1 on the motherboard near the nVidia MCPX chip.  This chip also connects to the CPU's thermal diode to process the output for monitoring the CPU's temperature.

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What's labeled in many replacement dashboards as the GPU temperature is NOT.  The Xbox's GPU has no temperature sensor on it.

The temperature displayed is that of the ambient air temp inside the case near the ADM1032 dual-temp sensor located at location U6F1 on the motherboard near the nVidia MCPX chip.  This chip also connects to the CPU's thermal diode to process the output for monitoring the CPU's temperature.

That's good to know, I'll be installing individual temperature probes to both the CPU and GPU to make sure of any temp changes from current state and after shroud install.  I'm going to apply some kryonaut to both as well to maximize results.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...