OGXbox.com

Corrosion repair, anyone know the resistor value?

mrunown

So I'm repairing my motherboard after the dvd drive kept ejecting. Unfortunately my mb is a victim of that super capacitor. I removed and cleaned the board however the nearest transistor and resistor to the right corroded off. I managed to solder the transistor back on but I can't find the resistor. Anyone know what the value of that resistor? I tested the traces, so all of that looks good, so I'm guessing that resistor is the trouble maker.

I put it back together, but going off this pic (https://dcdalrymple.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/20190307_191519-1024x576.jpg) it's R7G3. As a short term hack I just removed the dvd belt rubber band so the drive remains shut. I'm not sure if the transistor works either. I know the traces to it are fine as I get a beep from the multi-meter from pad to pad.

2 hours ago, mrunown said:

I put it back together, but going off this pic (https://dcdalrymple.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/20190307_191519-1024x576.jpg) it's R7G3. As a short term hack I just removed the dvd belt rubber band so the drive remains shut. I'm not sure if the transistor works either. I know the traces to it are fine as I get a beep from the multi-meter from pad to pad.

That part and transistor next to it  are to change over to the clock cap and power supply and the Xbox will function normally without them, and will not be the cause of the DVD ejecting.

The DVD drive ejecting is more than likely trace corrosion on the under side of the main board along the 4 traces at the front.

That link is not working for me all I get is

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Can you test with a multi meter set to OHMs

The 2 blue/gray arrows should test a 0 ohm and the black/gray and red/gray should also test as 0 ohm

The blue/gray is the eject from the button.

Also the 2 yellow arrows should have 3.3 volt in standby and power on

PXL_20210304_094736166.jpg.40babe44c440173804b1dd2ed1d68e32.jpg

If the 2 blue/gray don't test a short circuit (0 ohm) then add a link between the arrows.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested those points. Those 2 pairs beep with a continuity tester and I see 3v on the other 2. When I boot up the drive immediately wants to eject on boot. Once booted, this isn't an issue as I've removed the rubber band so it doesn't try to eject again. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, mrunown said:

Just tested those points. Those 2 pairs beep with a continuity tester and I see 3v on the other 2. When I boot up the drive immediately wants to eject on boot. Once booted, this isn't an issue as I've removed the rubber band so it doesn't try to eject again. 

On the picture of the IC with the 2 arrows what voltage do you have on the arrows when the Xbox is off and on ?

Cheers

SS Dave