OGXbox.com

My Xbox has FRAG and i dont know why. i think it's the HDD but my PC wont recognize it

Nevarnost

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The BT point aside.

Any one that solders a PCB to board like that is lazy and I have seen other ones fitted like that and re-soldering the chip to board fixes it as it properly has a dry/cold solder joint usually caused by not enough heat..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I don't know what to say, the chip has been there almost since i bought it in 2003, never lost a shot until some days ago. I'm going mad trying to figure out how to boot the console, i don't care about the modchip (its only purpose was reading dvd backups) i could straight up remove it if necessary.

I just want my xbox to boot up and play some Voodoo Vince, Midtown Madness 3 and Toejam & Earl 3 wich are not backwards compatible with any other console.

Dry solder joints can last for years then out of the blue it goes open circuit it may be triggered by temperature changes ( hot and cold) or vibration.

If you disconnect the wire that has the black/gray arrow next to the screw hold that will tell the Xbox to load from the TSOP and not try and load from the mod chip (that would have been my 1st test)

If the stock dash is present o the hard drive and the hard drive is still locked it should boot to the MS dash.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

Dry solder joints can last for years then out of the blue it goes open circuit it may be triggered by temperature changes ( hot and cold) or vibration.

If you disconnect the wire that has the black/gray arrow next to the screw hold that will tell the Xbox to load from the TSOP and not try and load from the mod chip (that would have been my 1st test)

If the stock dash is present o the hard drive and the hard drive is still locked it should boot to the MS dash.

Cheers

SS Dave

Ok, later today i'll try out and give you an update. Thank you very much

Cheers

SS Dave

Note: i didn't have a custom dash as far as i know. The modchip was used SOLELY to read dvd backups. Everything else was (looking) stock

3 minutes ago, Nevarnost said:

Note: i didn't have a custom dash as far as i know. The modchip was used SOLELY to read dvd backups. Everything else was (looking) stock

Disconnect the wire at the arrow pointing to the screw hole and power on the Xbox if you get error message on the screen reassemble the Xbox and test again

qsTbcyP.jpeg.ee219acf0bb79bcd56b14f60470bd54d.jpeg

Cheers

SS Dave

Disconnect the wire at the arrow pointing to the screw hole and power on the Xbox if you get error message on the screen reassemble the Xbox and test again

qsTbcyP.jpeg.ee219acf0bb79bcd56b14f60470bd54d.jpeg

Cheers

SS Dave

This is a thing i've already tried with KaosEngineer and yes, the console FRAGs without video

Have you re-soldered the mod chip since taking the pictures? because even pin 8 looks suspect.

It could be the TSOP chip has failed and that's why the chip was there, Just a guess.

Green/Red Flashing
The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 4/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, Nevarnost said:

Do you see anything wrong? I'm not very experienced with the xbox, it's my only one and it worked perfectly until last week (dont mind melted plastic around the GPU, it's my fault trying to heat up the gpu heatsink to remove it. It's not caused by an overheating problem)

https://imgur.com/gallery/pebbjTl

In picture 4 of the imgur.com album, C7E2 looks bad.  The top vent is split open and dried electrolyte seems to be on the top of the capacitor.

Edit: Sorry, I'd not looked close enough at all of the images you posted to notice this bad cap. There may be others.

Generally, FRAG results from a dead HDD, bad IDE cable connection to the hard drive, DVD drive and/or motherboard or bad LPC / modchip connection.

• Like 1

Electronics can fail for no apparent reason the same as you turn on a light in you house and it fails to turn on but it was working the night before .

Have you tried booting with the DVD and Hard drive unplugged and the D0 wire not connected to ground and can you test the voltage on the red and yellow wires on the hard drive power connector.

It has also been mentioned that one of the capacitors has failed, Have you replaced that?

Cheers

SS Dave