OGXbox.com

My Xbox has FRAG and i dont know why. i think it's the HDD but my PC wont recognize it

Nevarnost

Hello everyone,
Yesterday i was trying to repair my Xbox (wich is a 1.4/1.5, manifactured in 2003), i removed the clock capacitor and everything was fine (i dont care to put the date every time i plug it in) but from point blank it shut down and never came back. when i plug it in it FRAGs and i'm not getting out of this. This is my motherboard : https://imgur.com/a/ZycVKLW
i have a modchip installed (not by me, but by someone in the early 2000s), but not a softmod as my xbox read only backups in DVD as far as i know. i made a post on reddit but i had no luck. i tried connecting my HDD to a PC with an adapter and it get recognized by the Devidce Manager but xboxhdm23usb and xplorer360 doesn't seem to detect it and i cant figure out why. i don't care to lose my data, but i just want my xbox back up and running, any suggestion is welcome, but i don't have a EEPROM reader nor a backup and neither a pc with serial port. help me getting this bad boy back to life

Edited by Nevarnost

1.3/1.4

How ever, you should clean up all the red makred area in the pic with IPA and a toothbrush : https://imgur.com/a/FjraVtz

If you have, clean up the area where the CC was with an fiberglass pen (gently) to remove the rust. Also check the bothom side of the same area and clean them up as well and search for trace rot. Post pictures (bottom and top) of these areas after you have cleaned them.

3 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

1.3/1.4

How ever, you should clean up all the red makred area in the pic with IPA and a toothbrush : https://imgur.com/a/FjraVtz

If you have, clean up the area where the CC was with an fiberglass pen (gently) to remove the rust. Also check the bothom side of the same area and clean them up as well and search for trace rot. Post pictures (bottom and top) of these areas after you have cleaned them.

I tried to clean the mess Up, but nothing changed

If you have a second HDD on hand try out if the xbox would boot into an installer and if so, shut down the xbox without coping files or formating. Or in case it starts and the installer tells you new HDD found, do nothing, just power of the xbox.

If that works your board should be "fine" and it's a hdd problem. If not, i guess it's the board, Trace rot somwhere. The are area arround the CC looks pretty bad.

The 2 problems I see in your pic are

The D0 wire was there and has properly fallen off (Yellow circles) and the solder connection to pin 2 looks like it is not connecting (Black circle) even the solder on pin 11 looks crap

8so4x7c.jpg.a51406f4395346b72f9b9ecd3339ae7d.jpg.

If fitting a 2nd PCB to the main PCB  like that chip was so good then all PCB makers would be doing it that way

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

39 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The 2 problems I see in your pic are

The D0 wire was there and has properly fallen off (Yellow circles) and the solder connection to pin 2 looks like it is not connecting (Black circle) even the solder on pin 11 looks crap

8so4x7c.jpg.a51406f4395346b72f9b9ecd3339ae7d.jpg.

If fitting a 2nd PCB to the main PCB  like that chip was so good then all PCB makers would be doing it that way

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yes, the D0 wire has been replaced, the pin2 is soldered on the mobo and it's a bit unclear in the photo, but it's properly attached. But, The problem is that even without the D0 wire, the console worked fine (without reading DVD backups ) but now it's dead with 50\50 red-green flashing

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

So with the D0 wire disconnected it booted to the stock dash?

Cheers

SS Dave

No, it FRAGS with or without the D0 point grounded.

It's a v1.4 motherboard with Focus video encoder.

Also, there's no audio or video out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

No, it FRAGS with or without the D0 point grounded.

It's a v1.4 motherboard with Focus video encoder.

Also, there's no audio or video out. 

Thank you for coming in! Yes the console frags in either way, with or without DVD and HDD. The Disk is Fine, the console FRAGs everytime i power it up

On 3/27/2021 at 11:30 PM, SS_Dave said:

So with the D0 wire disconnected it booted to the stock dash?

Cheers

SS Dave

I don't have a custom Dashboard, the modchip made only possible to read DVD Backups, nothing else was changed

4 minutes ago, Hari125 said:

It's possible. But another possibility is broken capacitors near the cpu.

Do you see anything wrong? I'm not very experienced with the xbox, it's my only one and it worked perfectly until last week (dont mind melted plastic around the GPU, it's my fault trying to heat up the gpu heatsink to remove it. It's not caused by an overheating problem)

https://imgur.com/gallery/pebbjTl

Edited by Nevarnost

Why are you tiring to get the GPU heat sink off as that's not causing the FRAGing ?

Yes I do see some things wrong

The 1st is the mod chip is not enabled as the BT point needs to be grounded, link the 2 green arrows

2nd Pin 2 doesn't look soldered. the yellow arrow.

qsTbcyP.jpeg.ee219acf0bb79bcd56b14f60470bd54d.jpeg

If you disconnect the wire at the black arrow it should boot the stock bios and possibly give a error message if the HDD is unlocked or the drives are not connected.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Why are you tiring to get the GPU heat sink off as that's not causing the FRAGing ?

The 1st is the mod chip is not enabled as the BT point needs to be grounded, link the 2 green arrows

If you disconnect the wire at the black arrow it should boot the stock bios and possibly give a error message if the HDD is unlocked or the drives are not connected.

Cheers

SS Dave

I have already looked at the modchip and KaosEngineer told me that BT is optional in this modchip. I don't know where it should be soldered

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

I guess he wanted to replace the termal paste.

The heatsink on the gpu is always stuck and if you don't heat it before pulling it, probadly the chip will break off the board. xd

41 minutes ago, Nevarnost said:

I have already looked at the modchip and KaosEngineer told me that BT is optional in this modchip. I don't know where it should be soldered

I have one of the same chips and the BT needed to either be connected to the power button or to ground (Pin 2) for it to work, my preference it ground as it makes the chip always active.

Plus it is not going to hurt by linking it to ground by linking the 2 green/gray arrows

The solder joint on the pin 2 doesn't look connected to me.

Cheers

SS Dave

7 minutes ago, Hari125 said:

I guess he wanted to replace the termal paste.

7 minutes ago, Nevarnost said:

Exactly 😂

I have seen the heat sink run colder with new paste (tested the heat sink temperature with a probe stuck in the fins ) than when with the stock glue/paste so to me if the heat sink is colder it is not absorbing as much heat from the GPU.

At any rate the heat sink paste is not causing the FRAGing

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have one of the same chips and the BT needed to either be connected to the power button or to ground (Pin 2) for it to work, my preference it ground as it makes the chip always active.

Plus it is not going to hurt by linking it to ground by linking the 2 green/gray arrows

The solder joint on the pin 2 doesn't look connected to me.

Cheers

SS Dave

The thing is that the chip has worked flawlessly without the BT since 2003 

Just now, Nevarnost said:

The thing is that the chip has worked flawlessly without the BT since 2003 

The BT point aside.

Any one that solders a PCB to board like that is lazy and I have seen other ones fitted like that and re-soldering the chip to board fixes it as it properly has a dry/cold solder joint usually caused by not enough heat..

Cheers

SS Dave