OGXbox.com

Socketed modchip (AladdinXT)

CrazyCatGuy

I'm talking about the chip itself, the one in the green circle in the picture below. Not the modchip as a whole.

I'm a bit curious: The modchip is installed in the Xbox but the BIOS flash failed. (The one I have in my Xbox is soldered, not put it with a pin-header)

i) Since it's socketed, could I, theoretically, insert a new modchip there when the Xbox is turned off, and it should work?

ii) If I start the Xbox with the working chip, use HeXEn to go to the flasher program and before I start the procedure, I take out the good chip and change it with the badly flashed and then continue with the flashing, would it flash it correctly? Assuming it will not just burn the chips when I take them out-in?

Has anyone tried something like that?

YOLO?

AladdinXT.thumb.jpg.63e1e0d3fc47a17b2fbc97993a800839.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't have any printing on the chip.. so I have no clue.

Maybe there is any clue on these screens?

And one more thing: any ideas on how to unstick the modchip from the motherboard? Whoever installed it, they stick it with tape and now it doesn't move at all. One of these days I will try to take it out.

modchip.thumb.jpg.e8c534841c3588cff220b22b623a0396.jpgscreen1.thumb.jpg.4af1efc0bb9e310bfab921ea9238f09c.jpgscreen2.thumb.jpg.9bc328ffc25b2a0eb9c5754cd1a198b8.jpg

17 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Will it still boot the MS bios to the stock dash?

It would if I hadn't unlocked the HDD... I have ordered an newer modchip (Aladdin) so I may clean the thing a bit, and an IDE to USB adaptor to try and lock the HDD through my PC. It depends on what will come first from China though..  :)

I will keep the hair dryer close to me then!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

Unfortunately it doesn't have any printing on the chip.. so I have no clue.

Maybe there is any clue on these screens?

And one more thing: any ideas on how to unstick the modchip from the motherboard? Whoever installed it, they stick it with tape and now it doesn't move at all. One of these days I will try to take it out.

Odd, I see Evox dashboard I.D.'ing the chip as a Winbond W49V002A.  I didn't know that Aladdin modchips were ever released with a Winbond flash.  I've only seen them with an SST49LF020A or SSt49LF020. 

And, Evoxdash can't flash a Winbond TSOP, W49F020T, on the motherboard so I though the same was true of the W49V002A; however, it is a different part number and type of connection to the Xbox, low-pin count (LPC) interface vs parallel programming. Thus, the process to flash the motherboard flash chip vs the modchip device is different than that of the W49F020T MS used on the motherboard.

Edit: I do see several Winbond Flash chips listed in evox.ini's support Flash chips and the motherboard TSOP 020T is not one of them.  Its line is commented out as it is not supported.

From evox.ini:

Flash = 0xda45,"Winbond W29C020",0x40000
Flash = 0xdab5,"Winbond W39L020",0x40000
Flash = 0xda0b,"Winbond W49F002U",0x40000
Flash = 0xda8c,"Winbond W49F020",0x40000
Flash = 0xdab0,"Winbond W49V002A",0x40000
Flash = 0xda46,"Winbond W29C040",0x40000
Flash = 0xdab6,"Winbond W39L040",0x80000
Flash = 0xda3d,"Winbond W39V040A",0x80000
#Flash = 0x9000,"Winbond W49F020T",0x40000

and 0x9000 is wrong anyway for the W49F020T. It is actually -  da 8c - which is already listed.  :(

0x9000 is wrong anyway for a non-writeable flash which is 0x0900:

Flash not writeable! Id 09 device id 00

It never flashed the chip. The above screenshot is the last thing I saw. It deleted it, but the progress bar never moved and now the modchip doesn't seem to be working anymore. It just boots to error 5 (I had the HDD unlocked).

So, because I don't understand half of what you said, remember I'm new to this, when my new Aladdin arrives, except from the markings on the chip itself, is there anyway to identify it?

Also, how can I tell which bios to flash? If I'm not mistaken the Aladdin has a 256kb BIOS, but on the Hexen disc where too many 256kb BIOSes to choose from. (I think I had selected one which said EvolutionX or something - I can't read the disc and can't see the full list of them now).

Where can I find this evox.ini? Are there more like this?

4 hours ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

It never flashed the chip. The above screenshot is the last thing I saw. It deleted it, but the progress bar never moved and now the modchip doesn't seem to be working anymore. It just boots to error 5 (I had the HDD unlocked).

It would have been though the erase process and then failed at the flash.

4 hours ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

So, because I don't understand half of what you said, remember I'm new to this, when my new Aladdin arrives, except from the markings on the chip itself, is there anyway to identify it?

The new Aladdin chip will be easily re flashable.

I recommend linking the BT on the mod chip to pin2(ground) and not to the power button as this makes the chip always on.

107763762_AladdinBT.thumb.jpg.f41fe0216939a0a4fc059cf126972aa2.jpg

I also link the D0 to ground and not to the chip if the mod chip is going to be a permanent fitment.

If I was mine I would use the new chip to lock the HDD then flash the TSOP and keep the chip for a version 1.6

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I also link the D0 to ground and not to the chip if the mod chip is going to be a permanent fitment.

I'm thinking about the BT. What is the difference on D0? The guides I found say to ground it anyway. Where else can it be connected?

If I was mine I would use the new chip to lock the HDD then flash the TSOP and keep the chip for a version 1.6

Since the other Xbox I have access to is a v.1.0 and it's not mine and I won't be tampering with it, as well as there's no way I'm getting more Xboxes myself, I'll just put the modchip in.

The new Aladdin chip will be easily re flashable

How can I tell if I should flash it or not? And which BIOS to use for it? Is there any table I can have a look at?

I'm planning to put in an old 160GB HDD of mine that I found laying around, and from what I gather any BIOS should be able to see it. Only disks 1TB and above need specific BIOSes, right?

1 hour ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

I'm thinking about the BT. What is the difference on D0? The guides I found say to ground it anyway. Where else can it be connected?

The BT is normally connected to the power button so if you power up the Xbox by pressing it would boot to the stock bios and dash so you did not get banned from Xbox Live but as Xbox Live is no more you should always boot to the chip.

Since the other Xbox I have access to is a v.1.0 and it's not mine and I won't be tampering with it, as well as there's no way I'm getting more Xboxes myself, I'll just put the modchip in

That's fine  there is nothing  wrong with having a mod chip instead of a TSOP flash

How can I tell if I should flash it or not? And which BIOS to use for it? Is there any table I can have a look at?

I'm planning to put in an old 160GB HDD of mine that I found laying around, and from what I gather any BIOS should be able to see it. Only disks 1TB and above need specific BIOSes, right?

For some reason the new Aladdin chips still have a older EvoxM8 bios that only supports up to a 137gb hard drive, The ones I got 12 months ago did any way.

The EvoxM8 bios will work on all versions of Xbox unless you have had a ram upgrade then you need to use a different bios file.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1