OGXbox.com

Could Someone Help? (Have 3 Dead Xboxes)

wisnoskij

Hello all,

Looking to get a Working Xbox for my nephew's birthday next month.

I have my original modded xbox(1) that stopped working in storage, it has a little corrosion on the mod chips ground. It does nothing when powered.

I also picked up 2 xboxes randomly a year or two ago that were thrown out.

one (2) boots to a need service error, it defiantly sounds like a broken HDD.

The other (3) does nothing like the first one, and has a short in the power connector. You can actually see light coming form under the connector with the top off.

I welcome advice and help with where I should focus my efforts and what I should do. I assume that the ground being corroded on the mod chip would probably not produce the no boot? The HDD issue sounds like the easiest fix, can I just swap the HDD from the other non modded box to check if that is the only issue? And then I can just mod that xbox, I have not looked into what that would entail yet. But then the power connector short is probably a pretty simple fix as well. I do have a soldering iron, but was not the person who modded it originally and have little to no experience in that.

(1) (the serial sticker is gone.)
20210325_104707.thumb.jpg.4d19202c7966752c3021ef357b26a56f.jpg20210325_104720.thumb.jpg.1638ccbb73b0f5cc95000fdb379c4a0d.jpg20210325_104743.thumb.jpg.bec1c68aaca44bd718df2a519d801c3d.jpg

(2)

20210325_110154.thumb.jpg.b2e792cc81e72ddc43d5d936cb8875dd.jpg

(3)

20210325_104435.jpg.ae9b3760bc6ba317eefca17f7f4cc255.jpg

Edited by wisnoskij
expanded

Solder the Modchip from the 1.6 (1) in the 1.0 ((2) / (2001)) and put a new HDD in it. Don't forget to remove the clock cap from the 1.0.

And depending on how much you like your nephew the new HDD could be an SATA with IDE to SATA adapter with an 80 wire cable IDE cable (60cm will do).

EDIT : And in case the DVD drive from the 1.6 is a HL use it in the 1.0 as well (In case it`s Samsung in that 1.6, thats fine too).

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

Thank you!

am surprised that you do not need different modchip versions for different xboxes. Also, I would just reuse the IDE HDD from my old one if it still works. I am surprised it would make a difference, I remember no loading screens at all?

Is their a particular guide you would recommend for the soldering, clock cap, and I assume bios flashing? 

Clock removal (What you see there is also a 1.0 xbox) : https://dcdalrymple.com/removing-the-clock-capacitor-from-your-xbox/ or if you prefere a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9n4rnMekx0

The bios on the modchip should be a EvoX m8+ for 1.6 which can used in a 1.0 as well. How ever, you can reflash the chip with a EvoX m8+ (1.0/1.4 - 256kb)) made for this console. You can find those an any actual installer disc.

And ofc if your nephew dosn't have made the garden work for you, you can reuse the HDD if she is unlocked (If she is locked to the old console it dosn't work. You would need the 1.6 working again to  unlock the HDD (Or you have a eeprom backup somewhere).

Soldering tutorial, hmmm. Here is a nice AiO : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8cbDXjn-6ZkKE0f4JXDfg/videos

I guess that will cover anything you need to now (you just need some time) :

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

Thanks again.

42 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

you can reuse the HDD if she is unlocked (If she is locked to the old console it dosn't work.

I am assuming it would only be locked if it was the original harddrive? My original xbox with the modchip has a large (for the time at least) harddrive I added. This should be unlocked I assume? Anyway to tell?

3rd Edit: It is a Philips.

4th edit (out fo new posts): Thanks again, I never did do live so I will give it a go.

Edited by wisnoskij
Out of new posts

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,
The soldering iron I mentioned turned out to not really be the right type, so just got a new one delivered. The Clock capacitor came off pretty easily.

But it is looking like the pin header is probably stuck on their pretty good, should I just use this "quick solder" method? I also found this pdf guide. If I followed that guide, but used the direct solder method shown in the video instead of the pin header would that be the correct way to do it for my chip on a v1.6?

2 hours ago, wisnoskij said:

Hello again,
The soldering iron I mentioned turned out to not really be the right type, so just got a new one delivered. The Clock capacitor came off pretty easily.

But it is looking like the pin header is probably stuck on their pretty good, should I just use this "quick solder" method? I also found this pdf guide. If I followed that guide, but used the direct solder method shown in the video instead of the pin header would that be the correct way to do it for my chip on a v1.6?

You should have just got new pin header from eBay, Amazon, DigiKey and the list goes on.

Even in the video it looks like he has not soldered the chip properly and if joining a PCB to a PCB that way was good you would see it in every day items.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, wisnoskij said:

Is that fixable?

Anything can be repaired but the big question is it worth it or do I have the skills to repair it

Me I would repair it but I have been repairing electronics for a long long time.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

If you have the skill and the right tools to repair it, it should not be a problem. If not, put it a side and wait till you get better with soldering or you get the right tools for the job. And if it's worth it is something you have to decide for your own. I have recently fixed an old Aladdin which I have killed with the headgun. I had pads ripped off and I also maged to kill some traces under under the SST chip. Was it worth it? If you see only the money, I guess not. If you see the point of learning and managing to bring back that chip to life, it totaly was worth it. But thats only my point of view. At the end, you should ask you one/two question/s. Have I the skills/tools to do it and what have I to loose trying to fix her because she is dead not functioning. So get some awg30 wire, a fine soldering tip and flux (temp ~290°C - 320°C (depening on your iron and solder you use)) and jumper the points between the via's. And also get some IPA and a soft toothbrush to clean your board. If I'm right I saw a solder splash on the board (red dot : https://imgur.com/a/CCt4fKw )

And if you have the right tools and you can at least bring back one of the XBox'es, you could update the ram on her with the ram chips of one of the others. You should also keep them for spare parts.

About the PSU's: You can switch the PSU's between no.2 and no.3. No.1 is a XBox 1.6 and that PSU can only be used in a 1.6.

So I swapped PSUs and the second older 1.0 booted to the set clock page (I think I repaired the faulty PSU but swapped anyways). The power button would not turn it off from that page (not sure if that is normal) and I need to check if any of my controllers work, but that is pretty promising. I then proceeded to do the hard modding. I think everything is correct but the D0 connection is honestly too small for me to be able to see, and all I can really see on the header is that I have lots of solder on the pins.

I keep being convinced to try fixing the older 1.0, but evey time I look at the traces it becomes clear that does not seem like a repair I can do. I can only see the damage when my face is like 5 inches from the board.

Edited by wisnoskij
expanded

6 minutes ago, wisnoskij said:

I think everything is correct but the D0 connection is honestly too small for me to be able to see, and all I can really see on the header is that I have lots of solder on the pins.

Use the D0 point on the bottom of the main board.

1410554856_D02up.PNG.16305009c8720e3a6b696512e7fea043.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, wisnoskij said:

I keep being convinced to try fixing the older 1.0, but evey time I look at the traces it becomes clear that does not seem like a repair I can do. I can only see the damage when my face is like 5 inches from the board.

When I don't wear my glasses and don't use a magnifying glass, I don't see a single trace/via at all but still doing trace repair, ram upgrades and all the other stuff. Will say, with a simple magnifying glass it should not be a problem. But like Dave wrote, use the DO on the backside of the board like the most ppl. do. ;)

I used the backside D0, but it looks the same size to me, though it is easier to identify with less mess around it.

And it works. Boots right to XBMC, should probably uninstall that as their smart tv/tablets will be better at video playing. It has been so long I cannot even remember how I played games on it. It did not look like there was any option to select games in XBMC, so maybe I have to hold a button as a boots or something.

Also it looks like I have a always issue that seems to be caused by the clock capacitor overflowing among others and it did overflow. But honestly, that does not even sound like a particularly serious issue, does it even do any sort to slow/safe shutdown?

Of bigger issue is I probably need new controllers. It looks like you can just buy them off of amazon. Should I just get something like PC Female USB to Xbox Converter Adapter Cable Cord and then a xbox 360 controller.

I am actually not having any luck with my searches. I am assuming their is a button to hold to boot to evoX? Their should be dozens of games installed on the HD, I am 99% sure I was still playing games on the xbox after I installed XBMC. I remember loading up Strangers Wrath not that long ago and I would not have been playing it from disc. I think I remember having to lookup a key to hold down to play it.

Edit: when you boot with a game backup in the tray it opens and closes multiple times and then boots to xbmc. Will try to see if it recognizes a video disc or it is just suffering from the same problem as the power button now.

Edited by wisnoskij
expanded

So it looks like it is worse than that. The dvd tray button stopped working, it opens and closes multiple times every boot, and I think I have even seen it shut itself off. Found this so will have to see if their is anything I can do. 

It will play any disc put into it. but I was unable to figure out if I am dual booting evox or not. I tried simply running the correct looking files from the manager, but all I got was reloading xbmc and once running xbox live.

What sort of magnification should I look for? A lot of the soldering specific ones look too small to reach all parts of a motherboard and all the affordable ones are small and low magnification, but I see some general purpose 5x magnification lamps that looks big enough to fit and look through easily. 

1 hour ago, wisnoskij said:

So it looks like it is worse than that. The dvd tray button stopped working, it opens and closes multiple times every boot, and I think I have even seen it shut itself off. Found this so will have to see if their is anything I can do. 

The DVD tray issue is probably trace damage if you use the info in the link and add 2 wires from the front to the PIC chip that should fix it.

1 hour ago, wisnoskij said:

It will play any disc put into it. but I was unable to figure out if I am dual booting evox or not. I tried simply running the correct looking files from the manager, but all I got was reloading xbmc and once running xbox live.

The dual boot feature of an Aladdin chip is if you power on with the eject button it loads the stock dash and power n with the power button it uses the Aladdin BIOS, If the D0 is wire to ground then the dual boot will not function.

If the mod chip is working you normally should see a purple logo in the top left of the screen.

If the Xbox is loading straight to XBMC then there possibly a shortcut on C drive, I would wipe the lot and do a new full install using a installation disk.

5 hours ago, wisnoskij said:

Of bigger issue is I probably need new controllers. It looks like you can just buy them off of amazon. Should I just get something like PC Female USB to Xbox Converter Adapter Cable Cord and then a xbox 360 controller.

No the Xbox 360 controller will not work using that lead you need to get a OGX360 adaptor and if you are going that way then you might as well get a wireless receiver for the OGX360 and use a wireless controller.

ogx360.jpg.88f3cdd2241d56b2cbaea5ff88bd05f0.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

9 hours ago, wisnoskij said:

What sort of magnification should I look for? A lot of the soldering specific ones look too small to reach all parts of a motherboard and all the affordable ones are small and low magnification, but I see some general purpose 5x magnification lamps that looks big enough to fit and look through easily. 

If you don't plan to go deeper into rapair, something cheap should do the job. 5x-10x depening how bad  good your eagle eyes still are. ;)

I like the AmScope SM-4B which I maybe buy in the future. But the AmScope SE400-Z would also work and it's half the price. Or a little bit cheaper the Swift 10x 20x but even that's overkill if you use it only 1 time a year (or less).

So I would buy something which is good enough for you to do the job and will some use in the future without breaking the bank. ;)

My eyes are shot, but I use this, and have done for many years.

magnifier.jpg.9d65a2cdc87a7487ff2e2b2c6b52f019.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's never let me down, and cost €20 from a car boot sale. I removed the fluorescent tube and added an LED ring.

I'm doing a 128 meg upgrade on an xbox tomorrow, and the board will look exactly like this, through the magnifier. (picture taken with phone through the lens)

board.jpg.c411a3a1d1921d8c2681c1f143a564b8.jpg

I know a proper microscope would be nice but if I can't manage it from the above, I reckon it's time I give up... although I would LOVE a Mantis!

Edited by Baggashite
  • Like 1