OGXbox.com

No signal after flash a new BIOS

nelo_inc

So yesterday i decided to flash a new bios to my V1.1 Xbox Modchip Super Aladdin with the SST49LF020 to remove de DVD drive check and used EVtool to edit a EvoX M8+ 256K Bios, but me being stupid i also decided to change the EvoX logo to be sure the Bios was indeed changed, big mistake.

The flashing completed, the Xbox turned off and now when i press for 1 second to activate the chip i get no signal from the TV, no animation, no sound nothing. I even put Hexen 2018 but nothing, it's dead.

But it boot to the stock dashboard with a quick press. I've been searching for hours, but still have some questions:

1) If i buy one of those Aladdin XT PLUS2 XT+4032 that come with a SST49LF020A can i just replace that with mine and it will work? I saw that it comes pre-flashed with a EvoX M8 bios?

2) Do you know were to buy just the SST49LF020 with the Bios?

I feel very sad about this, because i treasure my consoles and this was my main and first Original Xbox and would like to restore it.

2.jpg

You  could get you hands on a new Aladdin chip and swap the 49LF020A.

You could also fix that one with hot swap flash.

Boot with the new 49LF020 chip in the modchip and just before you commit to flashing swap the 40Lf020 then finish the flash then you will have  spare modchip.

The other and cheaper fix would be a TSOP flash and this is how I would fix this Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

33 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You  could get you hands on a new Aladdin chip and swap the 49LF020A.

You could also fix that one with hot swap flash.

Boot with the new 49LF020 chip in the modchip and just before you commit to flashing swap the 40Lf020 then finish the flash then you will have  spare modchip.

The other and cheaper fix would be a TSOP flash and this is how I would fix this Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the reply and help SS_Dave, i thought that because this is an older Aladdin version it would not accept/read the 49LF020A.

I understand it would be cheaper to do the TSOP, but after this i'm a bit afraid to mess around with flashing the Bios, and i like the press 1 second for modchip function!

The other option is to swap the whole modchip for a new one but the way it has been fitted you may damage the main board when you remove the old modchip.

The only reason for needing the duel boot was for Xbox Live so for me and a lot for others not booting to the original bios means the hard drive can run unlocked, That makes for easy HDD swapping.

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Aladdin should work with either the SST49LF020A or 020 flash memory chip.

Purchase a new Aladdin XT plus 2 then remove the flash memory chips from the two modchip's sockets and swap them.

Thanks for the reply KaosEngineer, i bought one from China, but it will take forever to come to Portugal.

I was wondering if i could softmod it, maybe i can launch Hexen DVD and reflash the chip?

41 minutes ago, nelo_inc said:

Thanks for the reply KaosEngineer, i bought one from China, but it will take forever to come to Portugal.

I was wondering if i could softmod it, maybe i can launch Hexen DVD and reflash the chip?

No, that will not work. You can flash the TSOP memory chip, once write-enabled, on the motherboard but not the LPC-connected flash on the modchip.  

To reflash the modchip's LPC-attached flash memory chip, you have to boot from the modchip.  And, once you boot from the modchip, you cannot flash the TSOP flash memory chip on the  motherboard only the memory chip on the modchip.

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

No, that will not work. You can flash the TSOP memory chip, once write-enabled, on the motherboard but not the LPC-connected flash on the modchip.  

To reflash the modchip's LPC-attached flash memory chip, you have to boot from the modchip.  And, once you boot from the modchip, you cannot flash the TSOP flash memory chip on the  motherboard only the memory chip on the modchip.

You are correct, i used Xboxhdm 1.9 in my old computer and hotswap to softmod it.

Then tried to flash it with Hexen disc, but it's not possible, i suspected so because the modchip is not active, if it was powered on i'm sure it would work.

In order to flash a mod-chip in a Xbox the Xbox MUST boot from the mod-chip attached to the LPC port.

The same applies to flash the TSOP the Xbox needs to boot from the TSOP.

Cheers

SS Dave