OGXbox.com

Winbond TSOP Errors Out

ieblj01

Hi Team,

After successfully hard modding a v1.2 with a Hynix chip.  I thought, why have one modded XBOX when you can have two.  The second unit is a 1.4 with Winbond chip.  Whenever I try and flash the BIOS (Tru3HeXEn 2021), it tries to start and then immediately errors out. The error window is blank.  I also noticed in the Tru3HeXEn main window it shows 'Chip:Protected'.  I have triple checked the solder points and they look fine to me.

I wanted to toss it out to the forum to see if anyone has run into this before (do some boards just not want to cooperate?) and if there was a resolution other than alternate points or trying a mod chip ( I have an Aladdin XT mod chip, but was saving that in case I came across a v1.6).

Thanks!

20210320_174125.jpg

20210320_174625.jpg

20210320_175310.jpg

1 hour ago, ieblj01 said:

Unfortunately the OGXBOX Installer (very cool btw), just hangs when it comes time to actually flash the bios, so it looks as though I am SoL with the current hard mod.  I am going to try the alternate points and see if that makes a difference.

I have tested the DHCP and Staic and both do what they should do. How it looks the bios.bion is alread on C:\ in Bios. Just launch XBlast OS from the "1. Live Applications" (1.6.5) and flash from there. Still ab it strange that it hanges on your XBox. Have tried to restart the flash process?

8 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I have tested the DHCP and Staic and both do what they should do. How it looks the bios.bion is alread on C:\ in Bios. Just launch XBlast OS from the "1. Live Applications" (1.6.5) and flash from there. Still ab it strange that it hanges on your XBox. Have tried to restart the flash process?

Yes, I have tried several times with both the OGXBOX and Tru3HeXEn discs.  I don't believe anything is wrong with you disc/build as other installer discs that worked on other units fail to flash this one.  It would appear that something is inherently wrong with the board in this unit.  It is possible I messed up the board with the initial solder and it is just never going to work correctly.  I did the exact same procedure on the v1.2 board with all the same discs and worked like a charm.

Try it manually.

1. Launch the disc and launch 1.1. Launch X-Box File Explorer UX.
  2. Copy the " EvoX.m8.cee.67.noDVD.EX.256.bin " from DVD "D:\Bios" to your HDD to "C:\Bios".
  3. Rename the Evox bios to "bios.bin" (C:\Bios\bios.bin).  (DELETE any other bios.bin if there is on)
  4. Launch XBlast from 1. Live Applications" (1.6.5.).
  5. Start the flash.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

OK.  Two things:

1.  I went over the motherboard with a fine toothed comb and it appeared as if the bridge on R7D2 was not actually connected.  I don't know if that was there since I received the unit or if I bumped it with the hot soldering iron and broke it.  Either way, I repaired that connection with some wire...which leads me to...

2.  I am now able to get farther in the flashing process, but now when I run XBlast (either auto or manually), I get a screen that shows the following:

R7D2.jpg

20210321_175343.jpg

Edited by ieblj01

44 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Thats fine. Seletect :

Settings -> Flash Menu -> HDD Flash

There you see your bios.bin. Select it and press a to flash it.

OK.  I will do that.   Had to step away from it for a while.  I will update as soon as I have any more info.

I was able to pick this back up today.  Got all the way to the point where XBlast asks for RT, LT, Start, & White to be pressed to confirm proceeding with flashing the active bank and I press and hold the buttons and.....nothing happens.  It just sits there.  Happens with CD as well has HDD Xblast.  The bios file is on the hdd and ready to go if I can just get the flashing to 'be confirmed'.

Should I try another flashing programs besides XBlast?  I got creative earlier today and ended up wrecking the hdd and had to install it in the working TSOP unit, use AID to reformat it, reinstall the MS dashboard, and then softmod it again to get back to this point, so I am little gun shy to just randomly try things at this point (not that I am worried about having to rerun through the recovery steps if I had to, just don't want to keep taking two steps back if I can avoid it).

I appreciate all the assistance so far.  I am definitely learning a lot during the process!

Edited by ieblj01
typos

Thanks Raja.  It is showing MODCHIP (or unknown HomeBrew) so despite how they look physically, the solder points must not be good.  I will try the alternative points now and see if that makes a difference as it does appear I have pretty much exhausted everything else at this point.

Edited by ieblj01

Thanks.  I did have those alternate points printed out and been fighting it a while now.  Difficult to get those tiny holes to bond and I getting frustrated with it.  I have stepped away from it for the time being and to reset my nerves.  I will keep at it though.  I will either succeed or ruin the board the trying...and if I ruin it, I will get another one and try again.  The first first board I did worked like a charm and was a success right away.  I suppose I got lucky with that one :)

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

It works well if you have a fiber glass pen to scrub off the protective layer and then use flux to solder.

good idea for sure to get more surface area to bond to.  I also wanted to clarify that the yellow and sky blue connections on the right-hand side of the picture in the red circle are all the connections since there is a yellow connection at the bottom, but you only see one end of that.

alternate.jpg

Final update on this.  I have succeeded in blowing up the motherboard.  Tried connecting the alternate points and things went from bad to worse.  Now the unit will not even boot.  Just goes right into blinking red ring of death.  Undid the alternate soldering points and issue remains.  Just powers on and goes red.  Oh well, not sure what went wrong initially as it was the cleanest soldering job before or since.  Anyway, I am done with this one as it seems it is damaged beyond repair.

I just TSOP'd a v1.0 with a Hynix chip this afternoon and everything worked perfectly right out of the gate.  Flashed the BIOS with no issues at all and installed a 1TB SSD SATA.  I guess sometimes things just go wrong and it can't be recovered.

I appreciate everyone's input on this one.  I definitely learned a ton! :)

Edited by ieblj01