OGXbox.com

modding the composite AV cable for HD?

fox

I have a startech S-video adapter for my CRT tv. I want to enable the higher resolutions (480p etc) in xbmc but don't want to buy any HD av pack.

Is there any specific pin inside the standard AV cable's male plug where I can move the composite video wire to do this? I mean, I imagine it would be whichever one corresponds to S-video or component on the HD AV pack.

This probably sounds a little ignorant but I've never done AV mods.

716mt9pmhwL._AC_SS450_.jpg

A Svideo signal is 2 signals( that's why 4 pins in the plug 2 X grounds and 2 X signals), 1 is the video and the other is the sync signal so you would need to add a extra lead and a link in the plug to tell the Xbox to output Svideo.

I could not see any difference between Composite and Svideo and I would not call it HD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

you would need to add a extra lead and a link in the plug to tell the Xbox to output Svideo.

yeah, I guess so, no problem though, I can do that

well then the question becomes about pinouts, I honestly can't tell from this picture which to use, so if anyone knows and wouldn't mind spoonfeeding me the info?

Screenshot_20171001-221908.thumb.png.8d95737ad3272d229e5e0f1f919c89e4.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 5:25 AM, SS_Dave said:

This should help

985717057_XboxAVmodes.thumb.gif.317336e12303cd9bae163fe4ff8735c6.gif

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What are the white plugs numbered with 1,2,3 on the picture?

Also you saved my life. Time for moding..

Those are switches.

There are three (3) mode select lines that need to be tied in various configurations to ground to select the output mode the Xbox will use.  See the Switches section near the bottom of the graphic for the various configuration possibilities.

If you are making a multi-functional cable, you would use switches to set the video output mode.  However, if you are making a cable to support one particular mode, simply connect listed switch number - mode pin(s) - to ground for the mode you plan to use.  It is not necessary to uses switches. 

• If switch 1 is listed in the configuration you are making, connect a wire from pin 9 to pin 10.
  • If switch 2 is listed in the configuration you are making, connect a wire from pin 11 to pin 12.
  • If switch 3 is listed in the configuration you are making, connect a wire from pin 13 to pin 14.

Edit:

Switch N off opens the connection to the mode pin so it is not grounded. (Not listed in required switch used to set the mode).

Switch N on closes the connection from the mode pin to ground. (Those switches listed for the various modes are on which ties the ModeN pin to ground.)

Edit: When I post a message, you need to come back several times to re-read it to see all the changes I made. :)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hari125 said:

What are the white plugs numbered with 1,2,3 on the picture?

Also you saved my life. Time for moding..

They are switches.

For Svideo add 2 links to put the Xbox in advanced video mode

Link from pins 9 and 10 also link pins 11 and 12

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

They are switches.

For Svideo add 2 links to put the Xbox in advanced video mode

Link from pins 9 and 10 also link pins 11 and 12

Cheers

SS Dave

Ok thanks.

btw that picture back there wasn't accurate, I had to search around a little more and learn some stuff, amongst others things that my TV cannot output in higher resolutions in spite of having an s-video port, but my syncmaster tv supports them and the new cable works there, and the difference in graphics looks to have been worth the effort for me

15 minutes ago, fox said:

btw that picture back there wasn't accurate, I had to search around a little more and learn some stuff, amongst others things that my TV cannot output in higher resolutions in spite of having an s-video port, but my syncmaster tv supports them and the new cable works there, and the difference in graphics looks to have been worth the effort for me

Which picture?

Cheers

SS Dave