OGXbox.com

Back into it 15 years later!

JimM

I dug my old xbox out of the loft at the weekend and am trying to get it up and running again after a 15 year break!  Back in the day I installed an Xecuter chip but this didn't seem to want to work so I binned it and have installed an Aladdin XT Plus2. Box boots up fine but when I try and play some old games they generally run the intros  fine,  but when they try to go into the actual gameplay it throws up a 'There is a problem - the disc maybe dirty or damaged' message. I'm assuming either the DVD is on the way out or the discs have degraded over time and are no longer playable so want to install a new HDD and ru the games from that. Do have a few questions though.....

It's a 1.4 version,  boots to a Homer Simpson dashboard and has Evox +3935 in the top left corner

1. Guessing I'll need to flash it with a newer bios to install a larger HDD, is there a step by step guide on how to do this anywhere (I've downloaded a M8+ 67 No DVD bin) 
  2. SATA drives are much easier to source, do I just need an IDE\SATA adapter and an 40 pin 80 ribbon cable to get this to work (will probably only be 500gb)
  3. Not worried about keeping anything off the original drive, so do I just swap the drives over and then use something like Hexen (I've downloaded 2020 version) to format\setup the drive 

Cheers

7 hours ago, JimM said:

It's a 1.4 version,  boots to a Homer Simpson dashboard and has Evox +3935 in the top left corner

I had that dash on the kids Xbox as they loved the Simpsons

7 hours ago, JimM said:

Guessing I'll need to flash it with a newer bios to install a larger HDD, is there a step by step guide on how to do this anywhere (I've downloaded a M8+ 67 No DVD bin

Yes if you plane on a HDD bogger than a 137gb, The EvoxM8 bios that's on the chip is my go to bios for most builds the OGXbox installer has a version that I would recommend as the No DVD version on the Hexen disk has had the DVD drive completely disabled where the OGXbox installer version is set to run with the dvd drive unplugged but you could still plug a drive in and use if need be.

7 hours ago, JimM said:

SATA drives are much easier to source, do I just need an IDE\SATA adapter and an 40 pin 80 ribbon cable to get this to work (will probably only be 500gb)

Yes you should use a 80way IDE cable (I use 75cm long as it's easier to make it look neat) and you should use a Startech Sata2Ide adaptor but the ccheap version that has 2 cap's near the 4 pin power work ok.

7 hours ago, JimM said:

Not worried about keeping anything off the original drive, so do I just swap the drives over and then use something like Hexen (I've downloaded 2020 version) to format\setup the drive 

I recommend the OGXbox installer and I would suggest you try the xbmc4gamers as you dash board.

As the Xbox is 15 plus years old the Clock Capacitor will be leaking i suggest you remove it( the Xbox will work fine with out it) and clean the main board with Isopropyl and a old/new tooth brush, also the capacitors next to the heatsink will be close to failing as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi SS Dave

Thanks for replying

I've pulled out the clock capacitor today and downloaded the OGXbox Installer, burnt it to DVD but am bewildered by the number of bios versions there are!!

Before  I kill my box can you check my process 

I've selected option 2.2 Flash Modchip or TSOP (No Winbond/Atmel/Sharp)

Then 2.2.1 Flash Evox Bios (1.0 - 1.4)

Then Evox m8+ (256kb)

Then Evox m8+ Default (256kb)

I was then going to go for Flash - Evox m8+ CEE 67 yesDVD X4G (256kb)  - is this the correct one given your suggestion of using the xbmc4gamers dashboard and that my DVD drive does still seem to work (although I'm unlikely to use it much going forward)

Thanks for your help

Jim

The No DVD bios is really for if you remove the DVD drive to make a slim line Xbox or your DVD drive has failed and you can still boot a disk with a No DVD bios by putting the disk in the drive then powering the Xbox off and on.

The bios file you have selected will be fine

1856698495_1temp.PNG.7d70f06ee4b1d765a6bd6645faa5a44f.PNG

It looks for  Evox dash file and then looks for a xbmc4gamer default file.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.