OGXbox.com

Dilemma - To Modchip or Not?

Baggashite

I recently came across a four OG Xboxes in a cupboard. One of them was literally brand new... until yesterday :(

For some strange reason, I decided to softmod the box and install a larger HDD, so I now have a softmodded 1.6 xbox with a 2TB drive, with 8 hours of uptime from new. I don't know what I was thinking when I did it, but the empty bottle of Hennessey probably explains it.

Anyway, I've done it. It's no longer a spanking new old xbox. It's not a softmodded xbox, with 8 hours of use, so... is it worth fitting a chip, or should I just go and hang my head in shame? (yeah, WTF was I thinking!)

Your thoughts? (expletives welcomed, accepted and appreciated).

Edited by Baggashite

Was it still factory sealed in the box if not don't worry.

I do have some that I have not opened (Jap Skeleton, Halo SE, 1.6 in a unopened box)  but it's more that I don't need to as I have others the same to mod.

If you read my sig mod chip it

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Cheers for the reply, Dave.

It wasn't factory sealed, which is why I thought ...fcuk it. I only paid 50 quid for them when the 360 was released, so I really don't care, and just before I read your post, I ordered an OpenXentium on ebay, so I guess I've answered my own question.

I might even remove the X3 chips from the two chipped boxes, and replace them with the Xentium chips, as it seems the X3s are selling for silly money (one has a Xapt3r).

I also just discovered I have an Xecuter 2.6. Wish I'd found that before ordering the Xentium. I'm not really bothered what chip it has, so long as it works.

I see people paying top dollar for X3 chips but I can't see why when the Open Xenium will do the same. 

The only plus for the X3 chip is you can run a LCD directly from the chip as apposed to the Open Xenium needing a interface PCB (Spi2par)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I came across some relatively cheap OLED SPI 20x4 displays... which should work straight from the Open Xenium (is that possible?), and ordered a couple :(

But let's talk about finding an old but unused Xecuter 2.6 in a box in a cupboard. It has the switches but no wires for the switches, so you hard wire it, and it boots to the FlashBIOS! So you spend approximately 6 - 8 hours finding a DVD burner, hooking it up to your PC (you know you're getting old when you realise your DVD burner is 10 years old!), finding a blank DVD-R disc that doesn't look like it was used as a coaster for the past 15 years, loading a dummy file and a BIOS file, and finally getting it to flash. Then you go to reboot the box, but the box has other ideas, along the lines of "Yeah, I don't think so!". So you spend far too long wondering if you flashed the wrong BIOS, before you realise that your E, F and G partitions are now, for some unknown reason, EMPTY! :(
So I've just spent the last way-too-long watching progress bars, but It's finally back to where it was, albeit with a mod chip I only wanted to install to see if it worked.

Which leads me to my next gripe... FTP clients!

Filezilla... baggashite! "Too many connections" skipping files, disconnecting.

Cyberduck... even worse

CuteFTP... not as bad but slower than an old xbox.

I went through a load of FTP clients before I remembered the one I'd installed many moons ago... WinSCP. So I downloaded and installed the newest version, and not a single failed transfer in over 1TB...  and it was free! \

So if you're looking for an FTP client that actually works, instead of one that makes you want to exterminate kittens...

Edit to add:
I just found an old DuoX2 that I think I must have replaced with the Xecuter 3 that I have in my 'used' box. I doubt I'll be using it again, so it'll probably be going for free in the not-too-distant, if anyone wants it and wants to cover the postage from Ireland.

Edited by Baggashite

I only use FTP for 5gb or under, when transferring bulk file I pull the drive and use Fatxplorer on a PC even with a old dell desk top(glorified terminal) I can do 1.8tb in under 24 hours.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baggashite said:

That's another story. I got a copy of Fatxplorer and installed it, and it's not recognising the FATX formatted drives. It's telling me there are none attached, so I'm stuck with FTP until I can look into the problem.

Was the Hard Drive unlocked?

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Was the Hard Drive unlocked?

Cheers

SS Dave

It was. I've tried attaching the (unlocked) drives from 3 chipped boxes now, and none are recognised by Fatxplorer. It may be because it's a beta version I'm using. I'll try another version and see how it goes.

Edited by Baggashite

1 hour ago, Baggashite said:

Cheers Dave. It seems the issue was with my PC. I installed Fatxplorer on another one and it's working fine.
I'll get round to looking into the problem this PC is having... eventually.

Cool

On one of my PC's the onboard Sata port was not enabled in BIOS, maybe some thing to look at.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 3/27/2021 at 3:56 AM, SS_Dave said:

Cool

On one of my PC's the onboard Sata port was not enabled in BIOS, maybe some thing to look at.

Cheers

SS Dave

The port was definitely enabled. I pulled it from a DVD drive I forgot I had installed until I had to burn a BIOS file. (mad how DVDs are resigned to history!)

I'll get round to sorting it. I haven't done a reinstall of Windows for a few years. It's probably well overdue.