OGXbox.com

Official MS 8MB Memory Card Gone Bad

HDShadow

For the second time in 18 months I've just lost use of another genuine MS Xbox Memory card.

The memory card hadn't had anything written to it for months although many games access any attached memory devices so you can load a backup save from them. Then suddenly out of the blue this week it started displaying consistently as 0MB free space in the file manager, particularly after rebooting.

It was quite full, only three blocks left so I tried deleting a couple of large saves when it, occasionally, started working again. That didn't help at all.  I tried other controllers/slots/controller ports too - no joy in any case.

The card is still recognised as being attached and when using the MS dash you can see the content although it takes a good minute to appear. What you can't do is write to it or delete anything.

Very similar story for the first memory card too. Became unusable in the same way.

Anyone else had an experience of MS Xbox 8MB memory cards going bad?     

Has the card had a lot of writing to it like hourly, daily, weekly or subject to lots of drops, extreme temperature changes

Have you tried to reformat it

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Not written anything new to it lately, at least six weeks. The last thing was updating a Timesplitters FP save and I'd been using it more regularly before that backing up my game saves whilst playing the overrated King Kong movie tie in game.

Reformatting is what I tried with the first memory card and all it did is, eventually, wipe everything but I still couldn't write anything to it. I've seen the same thing with flash drives that have turned out to be incompatible but that has always been right from the start. I've yet to have a working flash drive go bad in this particular way.

I have plenty of backup backup saves on the attached flash drives I use in preference so I'm not going to lose anything. It just a bit weird I've had two cards go bad within a fairly short period. I'm pretty sure I bought them at the same time.

I only have one working official MS memory card left now. 😞    

Edited by HDShadow
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, HDShadow said:

For the second time in 18 months I've just lost use of another genuine MS Xbox Memory card.

The memory card hadn't had anything written to it for months although many games access any attached memory devices so you can load a backup save from them. Then suddenly out of the blue this week it started displaying consistently as 0MB free space in the file manager, particularly after rebooting.

It was quite full, only three blocks left so I tried deleting a couple of large saves when it, occasionally, started working again. That didn't help at all.  I tried other controllers/slots/controller ports too - no joy in any case.

The card is still recognised as being attached and when using the MS dash you can see the content although it takes a good minute to appear. What you can't do is write to it or delete anything.

Very similar story for the first memory card too. Became unusable in the same way.

Anyone else had an experience of MS Xbox 8MB memory cards going bad?     

I don't thing it's your fault. I have usb stick that i can't format or delete anything (the memory card is based on usb), so it's possible the memory chip to be defective itself.

• Like 1

Flash drives have always been odd with Xbox. Nobody seems to know what particular criteria are necessary for them to be compatible. I've had USB v1.1 ones which have behaved in all sorts of weird ways and USB v2.0 ones likewise.

But you don't expect an official memory card to go like that let alone two.

I have one Sony official 1MB and half a dozen third party original Playstation, some multi-page, memory cards between 20 - 24 years old I'm either using or still can use. But having said that I did have several very cheap third party PS ones which failed but that was mainly 'mechanical' damage from long use where the metal contacts had worn. I do have one 8 x multi-page memory card where one page has a single unusable save block but otherwise works fine.

With the MS Xbox ones the have always been plugged into a controller and then rarely, if ever, moved. So whatever the problem is it can't be wear and tear, it has to be a component failure of some sort. 

• 1 year later...

Interesting idea - does not really help with the bottom line problem having had two genuine, official 8MB Xbox memory cards go bad so either they're not recognised by the Xbox itself or do not function correctly.

But as a means of getting the games saves off the cards I suppose there is a vague possibility FTPing might work. But can you trust the data from a malfunctioning device?

As I probably said earlier I have multiple backups of most saves, I learned the importance of doing that on the original PS almost 25 years ago. I always save to two memory cards or different external location and it has proved very sensible practice over the years.

Games, which unfortunately include a significant number of original Xbox ones, which prevent you backing up your saves to two devices I've never trusted. 

• 4 weeks later...