OGXbox.com

1TB HDD Swap

Icarium

Just a quick summary of my situation: 

My xbox was running OpenXenium with a 1TB HDD that was filled with content. I ruined that v1.4 motherboard trying to do an install, so scrapped it. I purchased another v1.4 motherboard as a replacement. (This motherboard replacement also came with a paired OEM HDD, btw). 

What is the best way to get that 1TB HDD working with this motherboard? I tried running it with OpenXenium, but get Error Code 6, which I believe refers to unlocked HDD (so I must not have unlocked it previously). Is there anyway I can salvage all of the data on this 1TB drive? Or will I have to reformat it for this motherboard and start over again?

Error 6 is it can not unlock the hard drive

If the drive is unlocked it would possibly give Error 5

Have you tried fitting a mod chip the the new Xbox? The Open Xenium has a unlock Hard Drive menu so does the Xblast modchip.

Because if the drive is unlocked it should boot with a mod chip also if the drive is unlocked you could connect it to a PC and use Fatxplorer to access it.

If it is locked you are kind of up the ship creek without a paddle unless you have a copy of the HDD key or a backup of the EEProm for the old Xbox.

It is always possible that the HDD has been locked with a default password.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icarium said:

you can still reformat a locked drive for another MB, correct?

No 

4 hours ago, Icarium said:

I guess the moral of the story is to unlock your HDD before messing around with the MB

Yes

The 1st thing I do after a TSOP flash or mod chip fitting is unlock the hard drive, I have read about people losing new 2 and 3tb HDD's because they could not unlock them due to the main board getting damaged so they trash the board before getting or with out the eeprom data.

The only reason for a locked drive is to use a stock bios so you could use a soft mod or back in the day to get on Xbox Live and not get banned.

You should be able to read the eeprom (google reading a Xbox eeprom) from the old board as long as you have it to get the HDD key or if both board are the same version you can unsolder the eeprom chip and solder it on the new board.

Also have a read of this it may help

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, Icarium said:

Just a quick summary of my situation: 

My xbox was running OpenXenium with a 1TB HDD that was filled with content. I ruined that v1.4 motherboard trying to do an install, so scrapped it. I purchased another v1.4 motherboard as a replacement. (This motherboard replacement also came with a paired OEM HDD, btw). 

What is the best way to get that 1TB HDD working with this motherboard? I tried running it with OpenXenium, but get Error Code 6, which I believe refers to unlocked HDD (so I must not have unlocked it previously). Is there anyway I can salvage all of the data on this 1TB drive? Or will I have to reformat it for this motherboard and start over again?

Which brand and model number is the 1TB hard drive?

Do you have the eeprom.bin backup from the older motherboard?  

Do you have the old motherboard?  You said you scrapped it but do you have the scape pile in your possession?  

What did you break on it?