OGXbox.com

New to Xboxing (have questions)

CrazyCatGuy

Hey all!

10 years ago I bought an Xbox with a modchip installed on. I didn't use it much (meaning I barely used it at all).

Lately I decided to dust it off.

I started by removing the clock capacitor.

From searching around the internets I came to the conclusion that the installed modchip is an Aladin, but the modchip itself doesn't have any identifications on it.

My questions are:

0) When talking about BIOSies, are they modchip bios or the Xbox's bios?

1) I have used the HeXEn 2018 disc and I saw that my modchip (or is it the Xbox?) has the EvoX M8 bios. Is this different from the M8+?

2) Should I try upgrading to M8+ (if it is different) and how can I find if my modchip (or is it the Xbox?) has a 256 or 512 KB bios?

3) What does it mean if an HDD is locked or unlocked? (Mine says locked)

4) I found an old IDE HDD 160GB of mine. Can I just put it inside and install a dashboard with HeXEN so I may get the capacity?

5) To go to the custom dashboard I have to keep the power button for a second and during boot it will have an "EvoX" logo on the upper left corner. If I push it momentarily the Xbox starts as the is no modchip installed. Is this going to be a problem somehow?

Thank you for your answers!

1 hour ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

0) When talking about BIOSies, are they modchip bios or the Xbox's bios?

0(?) - Both. EvoX, iND, Xecuter are Hacked MS bioses.

1) I have used the HeXEn 2018 disc and I saw that my modchip (or is it the Xbox?) has the EvoX M8 bios. Is this different from the M8+?

The m8+ is the latest bios with some fixes

2) Should I try upgrading to M8+ (if it is different) and how can I find if my modchip (or is it the Xbox?) has a 256 or 512 KB bios?

The Aladdin Mod Chips are 256kb. If you need/want to update if you don't have problems is on you.

3) What does it mean if an HDD is locked or unlocked? (Mine says locked)

That means that you cant put your HDD into another XBox or you could not use it on the pc if your XBox blows up or you want to use FATXplorer 3.0. Now days there is no reason to lock the hard disk.

4) I found an old IDE HDD 160GB of mine. Can I just put it inside and install a dashboard with HeXEN so I may get the capacity?

You can but don't use HeXEn / TruHeXEn. Load the OGXBox Installer 2021 or Tru3HeXEn 2021.

5) To go to the custom dashboard I have to keep the power button for a second and during boot it will have an "EvoX" logo on the upper left corner. If I push it momentarily the Xbox starts as the is no modchip installed. Is this going to be a problem somehow?

It is made this way. If you press it 2 sec it enables the Aladdin and if you just tab the xbox starts with the chip disbaled. This was for XBox live which no longer exist for the OG XBox.  You could bridge 2 point on the Modchip to enable it allways if you want.

I send the bill later the day. :D;)

EDIT

59 minutes ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

You could make that work but, you should not do that. You are fine without a capacitor and without a battery.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

On 3/10/2021 at 4:59 AM, CrazyCatGuy said:

...and one more thing:

Can I put a coin battery in the place of the clock capacitor? If yes, what ratings?

No.  It may last a couple of days before it is dead.  The Xbox's clock circuitry it a power hog compared to normal PC real-time clocks that can run for years off of a watch battery.

17 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

No.  It may last a couple of days before it is dead.  The Xbox's clock circuitry it a power hog compared to normal PC real-time clocks that can run for years off of a watch battery.

Thanks, I was thinking it would last like they do on a PC. I may just put a new capacitor then. Don't know.

Aaaaanyway... I screwed my Xbox the other day! -_-

I had the HDD unlocked (since I have a modchip) and after that I tried updating the modchip's bios. I used Tru3HeXEn2021 and selected a 256kb bios, the M8+ I think it was, it deleted it fine but it never flashed it. I left it for more that 15minutes and it didn't do anything.

So now I'm stuck with a dead modchip (ordered another) and an error 5 because of the unlocked drive. I'm waiting for an IDE to USB adapter so I may try to unlock the HDD with XboxHDM through a PC. I only hope it backed the EEPROM when I did the backup.

One more question: Do I put the games on the Xbox's HDD (so I can run them from there) as ISOs or as folders?

3 hours ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

One more question: Do I put the games on the Xbox's HDD (so I can run them from there) as ISOs or as folders?

Yes.  :)  Either method works.  Running from XISOs (dot iso files) takes a bit more configuration then simply using the file/folders for the game stored in a subfolder of /[E,F,G]/Games/ (e.g., /E/Games/Halo2/).

• Thanks 1