OGXbox.com

Crystal Xbox went Bang

hastings298

Just plugged in the power cord and something in the power supply literally went "pop". Think it's a Delta 1.4 power supply.

Is it worth buying a replacement or is the whole console likely toast? Saw a small flash through the right side vent where the PSU sit. Have another delta power supply lying around but think it's from a 1.6 so figure it's risky to put it in.

Any ideas?

Edit: Discovered a burnt screw sitting in the middle of it. Must've just been a loose screw floating around that dropped in and killed it.

Edited by hastings298

12 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

If that screw caused a short in the power supply, then it's possible that the issue was contained within the power supply and replacing it will resolve the problem.

As a reminder, these power supplies are interchangeable between Xbox versions:

• 1.0-1.1
  • 1.2-1.5
  • 1.6-1.6b

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-Box-Microsoft-original-worked-fine-when-last-used-but-untested/184693245809 this one looks like it could be a 1.4

I would replace the PSU and see what happens, If the screw was in the middle of the supply there is a good chance that no damage to the main board has happened.

I have had Xbox's here with rattles and normally it's a screw from the hard drive mounting like this one.

This one the fan would run all the time at full speed until you powered it on.

Luckily remove the screw and it was all good.

2054072247_ShortinXbox.jpg.61e0211a4e4f336f33a4d67a2fe13b13.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I've managed to replace the power supply and it's working again!

The only thing that's not working is the cool blue tube led light thing you can see in the middle. I remember the two wires were hooked into the molex connector of the hard drive, on the first and fourth pins.

But i have no idea which wire went with which of the hdd molex wires (yellow and red) 

Anyone know how to identify which end goes where?

IMG_20210312_001709.jpg

I would test it with the black wire to black in the 4 pin HDD plug and the white trace wire to the red (5 volt)if it lights dim the put the white trace to yellow (12 volt)

If nothing happens then swap the black and black/white trace

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

I would try the wire with the black arrow connected to the black on the hard drive power plug and the red arrow to the yellow wire in the hard drive power plug

IMG_20210312_134438.thumb.jpg.e4c39f3b35523eee0e25e389b51c2c10.jpg.dba4d0de1ed1d0bb6f4e6a696967e14c.jpg

See how the wire that has the red arrow is black with a white line that's the white trace I was talking about.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...