OGXbox.com

how to unlock hdd without eeprom backup?

helltoast

long story short, ages ago I softmodded a 1.1 machine and naturally locked the drive after upgrading it. shortly after I tsoped it though, and zeroed and password- without backing the original or unlocking the drive.

I tried chimp261812 and neither master password (XBOXSCENE and TEAMASSEMBLY) worked. the master password *should* be a string of 32 T (it's a samsung drive) but chimp won't let me input a different master password. there's the hddkey.txt option but it only accepts 16 bytes of hexadecimal characters, unless I'm missing something it's not related to the master password.

there's also the linux terminal but I'm not sure what I'm doing here. any ideas?

14 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If the drive has a nulled hdd key try 32 X 0 (zero)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it's locked with the old password, before I nulled it. is there any app I can use to input a custom master password? as opposed to chimp only letting me use the default XBOXSCENE/TEAMASSEMBLY.

2 minutes ago, helltoast said:

it's locked with the old password, before I nulled it. is there any app I can use to input a custom master password? as opposed to chimp only letting me use the default XBOXSCENE/TEAMASSEMBLY.

The problem's you are having with a locked hard drive is one of the reasons I don't softmod.

So you don't have the Xbox it's locked to? you could connect it to any Xbox that has been nulled and unlock it aass nulling is changing the Xbox and HDD key to all 0's as the process of nulling a hard drive is changing the hdd key to 32 X 0's so if it worked after you nulled the drive/Xbox it will be zero's, although recently Rocky5 changed the null key to work with the new version of Xbox Live ( insignia )  I think the new key could be 32 X 1 (one) or 31 X 0 and 1 (00000000000000000000000000000001)

This might help as well if not use the hard drive as a Paper weight

WESTERN DIGITAL -> “WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD”

SEAGATE -> “Seagate” +25 spaces

For xbox hdds try “XBOXSCENE” or “TEAMASSEMBLY”

The passwords are case sensitive as well

Or you could try this.
If you don't care about the contents, you could just zero the drive with a Linux live boot, using your PC.  You don't even need to wait for dd to finish.  Just let it run for a bit.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your hard drive)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The problem's you are having with a locked hard drive is one of the reasons I don't softmod.

So you don't have the Xbox it's locked to? you could connect it to any Xbox that has been nulled and unlock it aass nulling is changing the Xbox and HDD key to all 0's as the process of nulling a hard drive is changing the hdd key to 32 X 0's so if it worked after you nulled the drive/Xbox it will be zero's, although recently Rocky5 changed the null key to work with the new version of Xbox Live ( insignia )  I think the new key could be 32 X 1 (one) or 31 X 0 and 1 (00000000000000000000000000000001)

This might help as well if not use the hard drive as a Paper weight

WESTERN DIGITAL -> “WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD”

SEAGATE -> “Seagate” +25 spaces

For xbox hdds try “XBOXSCENE” or “TEAMASSEMBLY”

The passwords are case sensitive as well

Or you could try this.
If you don't care about the contents, you could just zero the drive with a Linux live boot, using your PC.  You don't even need to wait for dd to finish.  Just let it run for a bit.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your hard drive)

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks, dave. yeah, xbox is what drove me to learn how to solder. this was ages ago though, and the drive is 500 gigs so I wanted to save it.

it's locked with the old password, not the nulled one. if memory serves, it stopped working then the moment I rebooted. because it wasn't unlocked, or locked with 0s.

problem is that I can't enter a specific master passwords in chimp. it's not XBOXSCENE nor TEAMASSEMBLY, it must be 32 letter Ts (Samsung drive). but I don't know of any programs for the xbox that allow you to input your own master password.

I don't care about the contents but I wanted to do this from the xbox, so I don't have to get an adapter. or several, until one works. but it's looking like I don't have a choice.

1 hour ago, helltoast said:

thanks, dave. yeah, xbox is what drove me to learn how to solder. this was ages ago though, and the drive is 500 gigs so I wanted to save it.

it's locked with the old password, not the nulled one. if memory serves, it stopped working then the moment I rebooted. because it wasn't unlocked, or locked with 0s.

problem is that I can't enter a specific master passwords in chimp. it's not XBOXSCENE nor TEAMASSEMBLY, it must be 32 letter Ts (Samsung drive). but I don't know of any programs for the xbox that allow you to input your own master password.

I don't care about the contents but I wanted to do this from the xbox, so I don't have to get an adapter. or several, until one works. but it's looking like I don't have a choice.

If you NULLed the HDDKey back in the day with ConfigMagic, the user password is computed for the hard drive using the NULL'd key.

When you run Chimp, what is the current state of the drive and level of security: low, high or maximum?

56 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

If you NULLed the HDDKey back in the day with ConfigMagic, the user password is computed for the hard drive using the NULL'd key.

When you run Chimp, what is the current state of the drive and level of security: low, high or maximum?

it wasn't configmagic I don't think. like I said, if memory serves, it immediately locked up once I rebooted, back in the day.

drive is locked, high security. so the master password should work, right?

2 minutes ago, helltoast said:

it wasn't configmagic I don't think. like I said, if memory serves, it immediately locked up once I rebooted, back in the day.

drive is locked, high security. so the master password should work, right?

Yes, a hard drive locked with HIGH security can be unlocked with either the USER or MASTER password.

You might also try 32 spaces as I've seen others say Toshiba used that as the MASTER password on some of their drives.  

I'm still trying to find a list of MASTER passwords by manufacturer.

7 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, a hard drive locked with HIGH security can be unlocked with either the USER or MASTER password.

You might also try 32 spaces as I've seen others say Toshiba used that as the MASTER password on some of their drives.  

I'm still trying to find a list of MASTER passwords by manufacturer.

you know of any programs on the xbox that lets you input a custom master password? chimp261812 doesn't, unless you edit the source and rebuild it.

or do I have to get an adapter for my PC?

9 minutes ago, helltoast said:

you know of any programs on the xbox that lets you input a custom master password? chimp261812 doesn't, unless you edit the source and rebuild it.

or do I have to get an adapter for my PC?

What model of hard drive is it?

I just helped another user unlock their old Western Digital hard drive without having an eeprom.bin backup, hddkey.txt or hddinfo.txt from an Evoxdash backup operation.

From what I've read, access to the password on a Western Digital hard drive is easier than from a Toshiba hard drive.  On a Toshiba hard drive it is stored encrypted in a special reserved security sector on the platters of the hard drive.

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

I just helped another user unlock their old Western Digital hard drive without having an eeprom.bin backup, hddkey.txt or hddinfo.txt from an Evoxdash backup operation.

From what I've read, access to the password on a Western Digital hard drive is easier than from a Toshiba hard drive.  On a Toshiba hard drive it is stored encrypted in a special reserved security sector on the platters of the hard drive.

it's a Samsung drive.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Whoa, sorry. I got stuck on Toshiba rememberig that you said something about all T's being a possible MASTER password.  T for Toshiba instead of it being a Samsung hard drive.

Which particular model of SAMSUNG hard drive is it?

ha, no problem. I'm fairly certain it's a SP0842N

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can use DOS software such as MHDD 4.5 or HDDSuperTool - available as an iso to burn a bootable xubuntu DVD with it installed.

Do you have a PC with a native IDE interface?  It is an IDE hard drive?

it is an IDE drive but I don't have a board with an IDE interface unfortunately... which is why I wanted to do it through the xbox. would an adapter work?

If you have the eeprom.bin backup from the Xbox the hard drive is locked for, yes Chimp 261812 can unlock the hard drive.

Look in the Slave drive menu for the options.  It has several different ways available to try:

1. From Motherboard
2. From /tmp/eeprom.bin
3. From Xbox HD Y:\eeprom.bin
4. From Master password:XBOXSCENE
5. From Master password:TEAMASSEMBLY
6. From /tmp/hddkey.txt

You can also drop into a Linux shell from the menu of Chimp. 

19 hours ago, helltoast said:

it's a Samsung drive.

The MASTER password of the Samsung hard drive may be 32 lowercase t's.

Drop into a shell from Chimp's menu.

Two Linux commands are available to lock and unlock the hard drive:

1. hdtool
  2. hdtool2

I believe they have a command line option, -h, to show help for usage.  It's been a long time though since I used them. So, I could be wrong.

And, hdparm can be used to display information about the hard drive:

• /sbin/hdparm -I /dev/hdb

If you are technically savvy, look at the source code of Chimp's script that processes the display of the menu and execution of your selections: 

https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/blob/f02fbfd9dbb25bf68eeebab98871b30f6beb1600/Source Files/Edited bin/usr/bin/chimp

Once logged into Linux on the Xbox, it is also available at /usr/bin/chimp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The MASTER password of the Samsung hard drive may be 32 lowercase t's.

Drop into a shell from Chimp's menu.

Two Linux commands are available to lock and unlock the hard drive:

1. hdtool
  2. hdtool2

I believe they have a command line option, -h, to show help for usage.  It's been a long time though since I used them. So, I could be wrong.

And, hdparm can be used to display information about the hard drive:

• /sbin/hdparm -I /dev/hdb

If you are technically savvy, look at the source code of Chimp's script that processes the display of the menu and execution of your selections: 

https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812/blob/f02fbfd9dbb25bf68eeebab98871b30f6beb1600/Source Files/Edited bin/usr/bin/chimp

Once logged into Linux on the Xbox, it is also available at /usr/bin/chimp.

that's what I was looking for, thanks! but unfortunately it didn't work. I type

hdtool2 -m -p 7474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474 -o UNLOCK -d /dev/hdb

and it returns "no drq after issuing multiwrite_ext"

I'm assuming that means the password is incorrect? I triple checked and it's 32 lower case t's...

EDIT

nevermind, that's just the error you get after too many failed attempts. I power cycled the console and was able to try again. thing is, it still doesn't work. I get the message

unlock hard drive with password 747474...

and nothing happens.

Edited by helltoast

When you tried XBOXSCENE and TEAMASSEMBLY did you pad to 32 bytes?

Unlocking with the master password will only temporarily disable security on the drive, if the user password is set (and it is on the Xbox) then only the user password can disable the security state and have it persist through a power cycle. If you are able to unlock the drive with the master password you will need to copy everything off the drive and then send a secure erase command - this will wipe the drive and disable security

Try these master passwords

//XBOXSCENE
58424F585343454E450000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

//XBOX-SCENE
58424F582D5343454E4500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

//TEAMASSEMBLY
5445414D415353454D424C590000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Most UDE2/UXE softmod installers will set one of these as the master password. Here is documentation on ATA/APAPI security states and commands

11 hours ago, helltoast said:

yes, but it has to be in hex, so 747474...

tried upper case too (545454...)

Try the following commands from Chimp's shell prompt:

/usr/bin/lockhdb unlock "tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt"

/usr/bin/lockhdb disable-pw "tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt"

/sbin/hdparm -I /dev/hdb

Found this information in an old 2600 Magazine Volume 26 article entitled - ATA Security Exposed by Michael Hampton:

You may be able to find a master password for your drive by using Google. Some master passwords known to be in use are (without quotes):

“WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD”
“BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB”
“tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt”
[pre]“Seagate                         “
“Maxtor                          “
“Maxtor INIT SECURITY TEST STEP  “[/pre]
“Maxtor” (padded with 0x00)
32 spaces (0x20)
32 (0xff)
“XBOXSCENE” and “TEAMASSEMBLY” (for Xbox drives)

Note: For the "Seagate " password above, what I've found before says it has 25 space (0x20) characters after the word Seagate, not just 1.

Edit: Oh, I see the forum software ripped out all the extras spaces after Seagate, Maxtor and Maxtor INIT... passwords.  All of them are to be 32-characters in length. 

Edit2: Hmm, adding the [pre]...[/pre] BBCodes didn't quite work as expected.  All of the spaces are left but the tags themselves are also appearing in the rendered text.