OGXbox.com

Boot to second dashboard.

matt77303

Hi guys. 

Long time since I've fiddled with any thing xbox related. Chipped my crystal 1.6 today that I've had in the cupboard for the last 15 years basically just to enable hd resolutions. 

When I was massively into the scene I seem to remember you could boot to a second dashboard via pressing a button on the controller during boot up. I only really used x2 or x3 chips back in the day so I can't remember if that was a feature of those chips/BIOS. 

Is that possible with the evoxm8 bios, I'd like it to boot to the standard ms dash as standard, but have the ability to boot into evox dashboard for apps, emulators etc, currently doing it via booting a dvd with evox dashboard on it.

Thank you. 

Matt

How often do you need the MS dash? For me I only use the stock dash to load the TSOP flash files.

In my view it's easier to boot the new dash by default and then load to MS dash as a app and you can cold boot a games disk to play a game from DVD

Depending on the way you fitted the chip if the chip is wired to the power button you can boot with the chip disabled and that will load the stock bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

If you have an X3 modchip installed.  Holding the power button for longer than a second color of the front panel bank select switch X3 logo backlight will be RED to indicate that the modchip is disabled - stock MS dashboard will boot.  A quick tap of the power button will boot the X3's modified BIOS as selected by the front panel bank selection DIP switch settings - X3 logo backlight will be BLUE.

It is not a controller button selection to be made. 

There was an old homebrew app you could load to do so. I find it very hard to get configured and working.  Very unintutive to use.

Rocky5 has released a new Xbox dashloader and dashloader customizeer app to make changes much easier that does allow for controller button selection of a different dashboard.  If no button is pressed, the apps default dashboard is loaded.

The hard mod version of the dashloader is found in this patched iND-BiOS 5003 release:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-3PLUDBRy1PWa0Q7JxYEz1kBjjpvu3u/view

The dashloader customizer app is available at:

https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool/raw/master/Extras Disc/Softmod/applications/Dashloader Customizer.zip

I've not tried the customizer application on my Xbox to verify that it works on a hard modded console.  I believe the location of the dashloader dot cfg files is different for a softmodded and hard modded console so it may not work without some modification to its settings (if that is possible).  Again, I've not tested it.  You can edit the dashloader folder dot cfg files in a text editor and upload the modified files.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Rocky5 has released a new Xbox dashloader and dashloader customizeer app to make changes much easier that does allow for controller button selection of a different dashboard.  If no button is pressed, the apps default dashboard is loaded.

The hard mod version of the dashloader is found in this patched iND-BiOS 5003 release:

10 hours ago, matt77303 said:

Chipped my crystal 1.6 today that I've had in the cupboard for the last 15 years basically just to enable hd resolutions. 

I don't believe the Ind5003 bios is version 1.6 compatible.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I don't believe the Ind5003 bios is version 1.6 compatible.

Cheers

SS Dave

You are correct about the ind-bios not being compatible with 1.6 consoles.  However, the hard mod version of the dashboarder is in that archive.  The BIOS is not required to use it.  The dashboarder Xbox executable (evoxdash.xbe) and it's configuration files folder (dashloader) go to the root of the C drive.

Edit:

When not using the ind-bios, make sure there is no C:\ind-bios.cfg file present on the hard drive. 

Edit 2:

For me, booting the X3 Build 3294 BIOS gets stuck in a boot loop because this version of the dashloader also tries to apply the XISO mounting hooks to the in memory BIOS which when C:\ind-bios.cfg is present the loader app thinks the ind-bios booted the console but fails since that is not the BIOS/Kernel in RAM. Thus, the console gets stuck in an Infinite Boot Loop. :(

Edit 3: I really need to reword Edit 2.  Confuses even me right now.