OGXbox.com

Extremely slow boot, disc drive related!?

LuKa1987OR

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to fix an xbox which takes about 5minutes to boot. It is a softmoded V1.6 and I swapped its dvd driver from a Samsung (which I need for my main xbox) to a Philips (very temperamental and reads just some original games). I don't know why but the slow boot is related to the dvd drive, as it boots in a flash when connected to his original dvd drive. Anything I can do to solve the issue keeping the Philips drive?

Thanks a lot!

26 minutes ago, LuKa1987OR said:

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to fix an xbox which takes about 5minutes to boot. It is a softmoded V1.6 and I swapped its dvd driver from a Samsung (which I need for my main xbox) to a Philips (very temperamental and reads just some original games). I don't know why but the slow boot is related to the dvd drive, as it boots in a flash when connected to his original dvd drive. Anything I can do to solve the issue keeping the Philips drive?

Thanks a lot!

When disc drives go bad, they don't read well. Think of older people getting cataracts. It's pretty similar except there is no lasik surgery. There is only the very poor option of pot tweaking. 
So basically upon boot the xbox checks the disk drive to see if there is media in there it should boot, else it boots the dashboard. Since your drive is on its way out, it has no clue if it has a disk in the drive or not and checks until the timeout period is up. 
There are bios' that skip this check I believe... which would speed up your boot time. 

Edit: You could prove or disprove this theory by ejecting the drive during this time and not closing it again until you see the dash. Did the dash come up quicker? 

3 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

When disc drives go bad, they don't read well. Think of older people getting cataracts. It's pretty similar except there is no lasik surgery. There is only the very poor option of pot tweaking. 
So basically upon boot the xbox checks the disk drive to see if there is media in there it should boot, else it boots the dashboard. Since your drive is on its way out, it has no clue if it has a disk in the drive or not and checks until the timeout period is up. 
There are bios' that skip this check I believe... which would speed up your boot time. 

Edit: You could prove or disprove this theory by ejecting the drive during this time and not closing it again until you see the dash. Did the dash come up quicker? 

I tried to use the eject button to start the console, but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

I tried to experiment a bit and I noticed that the drive is now completely dead: I removed all the external metal of the driver and start the console to observe it... It tries to to spin the disc once and the laser don't move or light up at all.

In doing this I discover that without the drive metal the console boot just fine, in less than 20sec if booted using the eject button as suggested by you. I tried and tried again ad it boots normally just if the metal shielding of the driver is off, specially the bottom part.

Who is that possible?

20 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Has it got a Philips DVD drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yes and it is completely gone (laser doesn't move or light up), it originally had a Samsung but I moved it on my V1.1 that you guys just helped me to TSOPed. Now I really cannot understand why if I remove the bottom metal plate from the Philps DVD drive the console boots way faster!

I have seen a few Philips DVD drive with trace corrosion around the the via points, By removing the case the board has untwisted and making a temporary connections.

I would fit a mod chip and then flasha no DVD bios and toss the Philips DVD in the trash and 3D print a bracket to hold the DVD door or at least unplug it

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.