OGXbox.com

From softmod to Tsop, help please!

LuKa1987OR

Hi guys, 
I need some help before flashing a custom bios on my OG Xbox. I already modify a couple of things within the softmod and I'm scared it will affect the procedure. I'll give you some details about the console:

Console Details:
Region PAL
Version 1.1
Bios 4817
TSOP brand Hynix

The console is softmoded (UnleashX v.0.39.0528A) and the hard disk upgraded to an 1Tb HDD with all my games backups aready installed. The video setting has been changed from PAL to NTSC M using enigmah X. The console boot directly in XBMC thanks to dashloader customizer.
So:

- Should I change any settings in the softmod options before proceeding with the flash?

-I already got the softmodding tool 1.1.7 disc, can I use it to flash the custom bios? Or should I burn a copy of Hexen?

- Will this procedure affect/erase my data on the HDD (games in particular)?

-Do I have to cancel the softmod after flashing the bios, and if I should how can I do that?

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions and help!

7 hours ago, LuKa1987OR said:

Should I change any settings in the softmod options before proceeding with the flash?

Usually you don't need to. When your Xbox is softmodded, it boots up and tries to load the original Xbox dashboard, which then loads the exploit, which then loads your Dashloader app, which then loads XBMC. When using a custom BIOS (by either TSOP flashing or using a modchip), you're basically skipping the process and just booting up directly into your dashboard of choice (XBMC for example). But your Xbox won't really care that the softmod is there or not.

I already got the softmodding tool 1.1.7 disc, can I use it to flash the custom bios? Or should I burn a copy of Hexen?

I'm not familiar with that 'softmodding tool 1.1.7' disc. It might have BIOS flashing apps on it, but I'm not sure. Hexen can flash your BIOS though, so that's an option. To flash your new BIOS, you can either use Hexen OR use the app XBlast over to your Xbox and run it (no need to burn a disc). XBlast lets you pick a BIOS from your hard drive and it then flashes your TSOP with that new BIOS. Hexen comes bundled with a bunch of BIOSes, so in that regard it's a little simpler. I prefer XBlast personally. Instructions for using XBlast can be found here.

Will this procedure affect/erase my data on the HDD (games in particular)?

No. This process doesn't format your hard drive. If you have a larger hard drive installed, then you'll need to use a BIOS that supports large hard drives (also known as "LBA48" patching). Many of them do by default, or they can be patched to support bigger hard drives. iND-BIOS, for example, has LBA48 support built-in. EvoxM8+ can be patched to support LBA48 (and there's pre-patched copies of M8+ floating around on the internet).

Do I have to cancel the softmod after flashing the bios, and if I should how can I do that?

In general, it's a good idea to, but like I said, you can leave those softmod files in place. After you flash your TSOP, they're not necessary anymore and if you try to load up the stock Xbox dashboard, it could try to load the softmod, which could cause your Xbox to freeze up. Once your TSOP is flashed, you can copy over a stock version of the Xbox's C drive to remove the softmod. If there's files on your E drive relating to the softmod, you can delete those too.

Most BIOSes will try to load whatever app you have under E:\evoxdash.xbe. If you have your Dashloader app located here and it points to XBMC, then you should be all set. If you want to skip using Dashloader, you could configure your BIOS to point to a certain app on your hard drive. I have my BIOS set to load "E:\XBMC\default.xbe".

If your flash your TSOP and something goes wrong, you can pop in a disc (like Hexen) and use the file browser to look around your hard drive to see what's going wrong.

If it were me, I'd flash iND-BIOS 5004.67 to the TSOP using XBlast, then find a backup of the Xbox's C drive on the internet and copy that over to your C drive. iND-BIOS looks at E:\evoxdash.xbe for a dashboard to boot up into, but you can use the "Ind bios configurator" app for PC to make it boot up to an app in a different folder if you wanted to. Again, if Dashloader is already at E:\evoxdash.xbe, then you probably don't have to configure ind-bios.

Tip: don't flash the "BFM" version of any BIOS to your TSOP chip.

• Thanks 1

A lot of softmods don't play nice with a hard mod(modchip, TSOP flash)

The worst is after to flash the TSOP it may not load the dash and display error 13 o 14 but you will be able to boot from a install disk(OGXbox installer) to set up the drive to run with a hard mod.

Once you have got the Xbox running again you can also unlock the hard drive and then connect the HDD to a PC to use FATXplorer to transfer the games back over heaps quicker that FTP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

30 minutes ago, LuKa1987OR said:

No I kept the original name....I didn't know I had to rename it!thanks!

I am 99.9% sure that will not make any difference by renaming the file to BIOS.bin.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I am 99.9% sure that will not make any difference by renaming the file to BIOS.bin.

Cheers

SS Dave

I flashed bios using the one you posted and that didn't need changing to bios.bin so I concur. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

I really appreciate your help guys. Don't know what went wrong with XBlast, but managed to flash the Bios using Rocky's Disc and then again with Hexen... The first time I thought something went wrong as the console was stuck in a boot loop, but than I realized It was related to the softmod conflicting and I set the UnleashX as primary boot to temporarily solve the issue.

So I guess now is time to get rid of the softmod files to improve the performance on the boot (takes nearly 1min to boot now)...my plan was to unlock the hdd, plug it to my PC and copy use my C backup. (I'm trying not to touch the 2 partitions with the games as I don't have room to copy them on another Hdd).

What about:

- partition E? Does it need to be cleaned?

-I noticed c now have some config files for the bios, any files I should move to the new fresh D partition?

- is it safe to modify the bios config file?

What dash are you planning to using?

And what BIOS as Ind and X2 need a config file.

My xbmc4gamers C drive looks like this

1834818211_xbmc4gamersCdrive.PNG.c7773e55a28518824c8d5ddeecd7cb30.PNG

My E drive looks like this

338107774_xbmc4gamersEddrive.PNG.7301364413b7c0034a669cfe6df573db.PNG

All the games and emulators are on F and G drives

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LuKa1987OR said:

So I would like to boot directly in XBMC which I set with the origins skin. I have got the ind bios 5004 (from trueHexen 2020) installed. 

On C drive there should be a file called ind-bios.cfg if you use FTP to copy to a PC you can edit it and then replace it back on the Xbox.

Right down the bottom of that file you will see 4 lines of text like this.

"DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe"
"DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe"
"DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe"
"DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe"

Edit it to this as this will set the 1st boot dash to xbmc on E drive,

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\xbmc\default.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

If you have xbmc4gamers in E:\xbmc4gamers the make DASH1

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\xbmc4gamers\default.xbe

What is X2? I have got the config file on E but I don't know that is that.

The X2-5035.67 bios is a 512kb size that will only flash to a version 1.0 - 1.1 TSOP or some mod chips and the configuration file should be on E drive root directory

How can I access to the xbox HDD from the pc now that is unlocked?

Download FatXplorer 

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

Then you can connect your HDD to your PC and using Fatxplorer read/write as if it was a normal PC drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

On C drive there should be a file called ind-bios.cfg if you use FTP to copy to a PC you can edit it and then replace it back on the Xbox.

Right down the bottom of that file you will see 4 lines of text like this.

"DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe"
"DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe"
"DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe"
"DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe"

Edit it to this as this will set the 1st boot dash to xbmc on E drive,

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\xbmc\default.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

If you have xbmc4gamers in E:\xbmc4gamers the make DASH1

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\xbmc4gamers\default.xbe

The X2-5035.67 bios is a 512kb size that will only flash to a version 1.0 - 1.1 TSOP or some mod chips and the configuration file should be on E drive root directory

Download FatXplorer 

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

Then you can connect your HDD to your PC and using Fatxplorer read/write as if it was a normal PC drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks a lot! I managed to clean everything up and set basically everything like I wanted but the dashloader to set some shortcuts....I imagine it doesn't run exactly how it dose in a softmoded console.

Unfortunately after connection the hdd I managed to make the partition E disappear and I had to format the HDD... just need to move some games back!

Thanks again to all of you guys!👍