OGXbox.com

Return to Dash shortcut corrupts Bios?!

halo-nine

Hello everyone,

i am new here and looking for some help! after over 15 years (possibly more) i got my old Xbox out of the attic for my children to play with. it has a Xecutor 2.3b Pro modchip, and had the EvoX M7 Bios. i happened to have an old redundant laptop with a 1tb 2.5" Sata drive not being used, so i decided to get the 80 wire cable, IDE to SATA converter and install a larger Hard drive.

so last night i did this and discovered i needed to update the Bios to EvoX M8+ in order to see more than 130gb on the F: Drive. so i did this, initially selecting the wrong Bios (i assume!) as on the 'FLASHING BIOS NOW' screen (i used Hexen 2018) it got about 25% of the way through.... then just sat there, after 20 minutes,  I decided to had to turn off and it was FRAG!

its been YEARS since i used the thing, and after some googled i realised i had the duel bios chip with the Dip Switches, so managed to get it to boot into the backup EvoX M7, this time, flashed again (the duff bank) with 256k EvoX M8+ F&G and everything worked perfectly (950+ GB on F:, way more than i will ever need!)

so this morning, I managed to configure the FTP setting with a Crossover cable and transfer a couple of games to the HDD. they seem to run fine, but i have an odd issue:

when i use the short cut on the controller (both shoulder buttons, Back + Start) to return to the dash.... the Bios WIPES itself!!! what the heck is going on!? anyone got any ideas?

I can flick the Dip Switches and boot back into EvoX M7/Hexen and re-flash but this is a very odd issue! and i cant seem to find any info about it, has anyone experienced this? 

thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Update: so it appears it bricks as soon as i press the open tray or power buttons too. i have now loaded one of the IND BIOS' and it seems to be working correctly. can any advise which is the best BIOS for me to use? my setup is:

XBOX Crystal, 1.4 or 1.5 (unable to determine exactly which model)

Xecutor 2.3b PRO Modchip

thanks for you help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my apologies for the late reply. i re-flashed the Bios with an IND bios and its working perfectly now, and yes the DIp switches are set correctly, Bios protection was off when i attempted to flash, not sure what happened but never mind, it is working now!

are there any drawbacks with the IND bios' over the EvoX M7? i cant seem to find any comparisons between Bios'!

With regards to the board, it must be a 1.4 as it has a Focus video encoder. you are the first to mention (At least in my Google trawls) about 1.5 revision being a myth! good to know!

i am not in the process of loading games, and setting up XMBC Emustation.

loving the forum BTW, i notice every time i google something, it seems to direct me here, it is a wealth of useful information I must say!

A modified Xbox BIOS comparison table was available at the old xbox-scene.com web site.  A great resource for Xbox modding.  But,  it has been offline for several years.  However, a copy of this web page was archived by archive.org's Wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130206215148/http://www.xbox-scene.com/bios_retail.html

and there's a copy of that table available here on ogXbox.com too:

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/131-all-retail-bios-information-from-xbox-scene/

M7 is an older Evolution-X BIOS release. Use one of the latest modified Xbox BIOSes that works with your Xbox version and fits the BIOS bank(s) available on your modchip or motherboard's TSOP flash memory chip.

The latest BIOSes for the Xbox include:

• Team Xecuter's X2 5035 (base BIOS size is 512KBs). It cannot be used on a modchip or motherboard with a flash memory chip of 256KBs in size.  v1.0-1.5 and v1.6 Xbox versions are available.
  • Team Xecuter's X2 4981. 256KBs in size. Only available for v1.0-1.4 consoles. 
    •  There is a 4983 version too; however, its settings cannot be modified by the Windows app XBTool.  Team Xecuter changed the method used to encrypt the BIOS making it incompatible with XBTool.
  • iND-BiOS 5003 or Beta Feb-11-05 (aka 5003). 256KBs in size.  Only works on v1.0-1.4 consoles.  No 1.6 version is available.
    • There's also a new patched version of iND-BiOS 5003 that fixes a few bugs in the original release.
    • Do not use 5004.06 it can brick your console. 5004 is only a BETA release, never a finalized BIOS release.
  • Evolution-X M8plus. 256KBs in size.  V1.0-1.4 and v1.6 Xbox versions are available.

Note: Do NOT flash a BFM (bootable from media) BIOS to your modchip or TSOP.  Most BFM BIOS releases state that fact in the BIOS's filename (e.g., iND-BiOS.5003.06.bfm.bin)