OGXbox.com

hard drive and fan upgrade

jesse

Hey y'all

Just got myself another XBOX and I want to pimp it out. I don't know anything about this, so I figure I should ask some folks who do.

I want to put in a 32gb SSD (faster, quieter, no moving parts), as well as maybe put a bigger/quieter fan in place. Any advice on how to do this? I'm truly a beginner and will likely need to be explained things like I'm a five year old. 

Also open to any other upgrades you guys think would be wise. I have no interest in softmodding. Just simply want to make it faster and quieter. Maybe a RAM upgrade? 

Thank in advance!

5 hours ago, jesse said:

Hey y'all

Just got myself another XBOX and I want to pimp it out. I don't know anything about this, so I figure I should ask some folks who do.

I want to put in a 32gb SSD (faster, quieter, no moving parts), as well as maybe put a bigger/quieter fan in place. Any advice on how to do this? I'm truly a beginner and will likely need to be explained things like I'm a five year old. 

Also open to any other upgrades you guys think would be wise. I have no interest in softmodding. Just simply want to make it faster and quieter. Maybe a RAM upgrade? 

Thank in advance!

You can do all of these things. I built a portable xbox that I did these mods on... BUT

There is very little to no performance benefit in adding a SSD to your xbox. I did it to save on power consumption, so I have one to compare speeds and there just isn't any. The reason is that the xbox is limited at ata66 speeds. Hard drives routinely blow past this speed. So, the only performance difference you'll see is in loading large amounts of small files.... where latency(seek times) come into play. This is not as drastic as you might expect. 

As far as the fan goes, when you mod the xbox you can bump the speed up so it moves more air and runs cooler. By default the stock fan runs at 20% speed. 
The reason I added a larger fan was so it could run at the full 12v but be quieter. There is a lot of plastic cutting that needs to take place for this. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...