OGXbox.com

Anyway to setup an XBOX without the DVD drive?

larvey

I got a job lot recently of some consoles - and all of them have buggered Thomson drives 🙃

I've tried adjusting pots, tried booting multiple burnt copies of HeXen and OGXBOXInstaller etc. but all seem to just hang on the Linux screen.

Any suggestions for what can be done? Can a HDD be setup outside the console? I have FATXplorer - and I know Eaton was looking at adding more support for the OG Xboxes however I think these are all still in beta.

Cheers guys

If you have the box's EEPROM, use XboxHDM to rebuild the disk. It can format, populate formatted disk with pre-defined files, and then lock the disk with its EEPROM pair.

If you don't have the EEPROM, hotswap the box and transfer Rocky's softmod using FATXplorer.

BTW, is the box hardmodded? It's easier for hardmodded box because of no locking needed. Also, softmod need the optical drive logic board to be functional (no error 10, 11, 12?).

Edited by si_kabayan

I have built a hard drive using an Open Xenium modchip and FTP it was slow and required many steps.

It would be better/quicker to use a Xbox DVD drive even if just to format and install a dash.

When you made the install disk did you use a verbatim DVD-r with a write set as slow as possible?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I have built a hard drive using an Open Xenium modchip and FTP it was slow and required many steps.

It would be better/quicker to use a Xbox DVD drive even if just to format and install a dash.

When you made the install disk did you use a verbatim DVD-r with a write set as slow as possible?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I have 50 Xenium boards to make up but haven't put digikey order in yet 😆

I've been using cheap-o DVD-Rs. I will buy some verbatim ones and see how they behave. I write on 2x speed as that's the slowest my burner goes.

You can install Rocky5's bootable no-original-game-disc-required softmod installer using XboxHDM23USB Beta 3.  

The process requires the hard drive to be UNLOCKED.  Either by hotswap connecting the Xbox hard drive to a PC with a USB-to-HDD Inteface adapter or reading the data from the configuration EEPROM on the motherboard stored in eeprom.bin to use the option of XboxHDM23USB to unlock the drive when connected to the PC.

The process of doing either of these methods is a lot more complicated than swapping in a different Xbox DVD drive.