OGXbox.com

Locked drive

SpecFour

I picked up a hardmod v1.0 that was giving error 16.  Through my fumbling with hotswapping and chimp I locked the drive to the “good” Xbox’s motherboard, so now I’m down to error 6.  I got the drive unlocked and hooked up to my PC and did find an eeprom.bin on the drive, then used chimp to lock to that.  (Saw a post where E:\ was the old location and Y:\ is the new one, and have done both.)

Still gives error 6.

Are there other names for the eeprom.bin file?  I haven’t tried backup.bin and will give that a try.  Wanted to post now because this is tiring.

Only ways to read eeprom appear to be: 1) software running on that xbox; 2) eeprom reader.  Others?  Since I can’t even get the machine to a dashboard I can’t imagine that I could ftp or ssh into it, or whatever.

Also, this new box has a chip in there but it isn’t working since I’m still having lock problems?  Aladdin v1.1 is all I get from that.  I saw a reference somewhere to Mini Aladdin, and that’s dang small.  I have no experience with chips - do I need to do something like hold A+B or whatever to boot with that?

Thank you.

modchip.jpg

Does one of the wires from the modchip run over to a resistor to the left of the front panel connector on the motherboard?

For all of the Aladdin/Aladdin clone modchips I've used, you have to press the power button for longer than 1 second to enable the modchip. If you power on the console with a short tap on the power button, the console will boot with the modchip DISABLED.

The stock BIOS requires the hard drive to be locked.  However, if it's locked with a different Xbox's HDDKey generated password you will still get error 06.  A hard modded console does not require the hard drive to be locked.  Leave it unlocked.

Error 06 - cannot unlock hard drive

All Xbox's, unless you change it, have a unique HDDKey stored in their configuration EEPROM - an 8-pin 2048-bit (256-byte) serial EEPROM chip on the motherboard.  And, the EEPROM backup generated by the Evox replacement dashboard or other apps saves the content to the file named eeprom.bin.  Easy to mix the files if you have several Xboxes that you are modding.

All the software that reads the eeprom backup file to unlock / lock Xbox hard drives uses that one filename - eeprom.bin.