OGXbox.com

Original Xbox shuts off at 1:15(s) what to do next, what to test for?

Aero_105

I got original xbox with intentions to only use working dvd drive to swap for parts but up found the existing hdd looked damaged as original owner said xbox was making arching noises.  I figured to see if I can get the xbox going again.  The machine powers on and shuts off at 1:15(s) that is with a working hdd.  I swapped the power supply from a working machine and same thing.  The dvd drive does work on a working machine.  I relocked the hdd from another machine to this one the hdd was softmodded didn't work.  I then reformatted with stock C and E files relocked hdd didn't work.  The original xbox powers on automatically when plugged in.  The original xbox has a Xecuter 2.6 mod chip.  I ran the setup without modchip installed, with modchip turned off and with modchip on - no improvements.  Any suggestions as what to do next?  What to test for?  When on stock dashboard I could not load a disc properly.  When on softmod dashboard disc would not load properly.  Not sure  if there is a ide cable issue?  Not sure if the hdd is setup correctly for given bios?  Not sure if bios is corrupt.

Dvd drive - works

Power Supply - works

Replaced Hdd

Motherboard ? 

Modchip ?

5 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

The original xbox powers on automatically when plugged in

It sounds like there is trace damage on the bottom of the main board

This board had only 1 trace damaged but I have seen all 4 traces and the 5 to the  upper left of this pic as well.

IMG_20200813_123325.jpg.faf2e0ca11681334dc935e5e6788875f.jpg

What version board have you got?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The board version must be 1.2.  Conexant video chip, 2003 - 07 - 10 mfg date, 5101 kernal.  There is a missing flat rectangular resistor that came off when cleaning the board by the capacitor known to leak.  There must be something causing a short because the xbox original shuts off suddenly.  I managed to get it to run for 3 minutes.  What does one charge for replacing a resistor and doing a trace repair?  I don't trust the mod chip solder points behind the board they need to be de-soldered as well.

Here's 14 photos of the xbox original damaged motherboard.  Photo 1 is from another xbox similar board version.  It has a resistor of 112 label.  That resistor is missing on the damaged motherboard.  Sorry the pictures are not that clear poor lighting and flash cause distortion on photo.  The green wire on back of the board, the solder is closer than the parallel trace lines possibly contacting.  There is heat damage on the back of the ide connector.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xyojw0QrylbUP9E3nXgxr4DaBer2UyW8?usp=sharing

The part R7G1 is for the change from the power supply and the clock cap and the Xbox will work fine without it .

Can you give the board a clean especially around this location with isopropyl alcohol and if you can remove the small rubber square then post a good pic.

1540796366_uploadthispart.jpg.565ee5364aaa8de595fd5375ef7c368e.jpg

What happens when you power on with the modchip disconnected? and with the DVD and Hard Drive disconnected?
It should load up to a error screen.

Lastly the solder work on the LPC port looks a bit suspect but let's get it staying on for longer than a minute without the modchip 1st even if it's at a error screen

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I have a 1.2 that had some damage from the clock cap, did the same till I cleaned it and put some solder onto the damaged track.

Have the same problems with Amigas the clock caps on them are in some cases 30 years old now and literally eat the board.

Best thing you can to with both is chop them off both will do fine with out a RTC function.

I got the xbox original to power up for 2:20(s).  I used hot glue at the green and brown wire solder points, it didn't improve on time.  I put electrical tape folded around the green and brown wire where they cross over ide connector and dvd power connector.  I found trace damage on photo 16.  Is it a matter of finding someone who does board level repair.  With the modchip disconnected, dvd drive and hard drive disconnected I get an error 07.  It then powers off at 2:20(s).  I used an eraser to clean the glue around the small rubber square.

boardDamage.thumb.png.8ae5c2283b6cb8d4460b11f90824af5c.png

Photos 15,16 and 17

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xyojw0QrylbUP9E3nXgxr4DaBer2UyW8?usp=sharing

If the trace has not gone completely you should be ok  I’ve had ones where there is still a connection but it acts intermittently as the current resistance is to high, build it back up with solder or conductive pen, fixes it. If the path is completely broken or gone you need to solder in a replacement link wire.

If you use a pen you can use nail polish to seal the copper  and pen to stop it corroding. Choice of colour is up to you.

7 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

How well does a conductive pen work?  Does the repair need an overcoat pen as well?

In my view it is a temporary fix but you can extend the time with a coating over the top and you will also get a better job by ensuring the trace has copper exposed before the conductive paint is applied and the surrounding area has been cleaned with isopropanol.

Have you tested that trace with a multimeter and and does it still shut down quickly with the DVD and Hard Drives disconnected?

Cheers

SS Dave

On 2/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, Aero_105 said:

There is a break on "Trace A" I tested with a multimeter.  "Trace B" there was continuity.  The original xbox shuts down at about 3:30(s) with DVD and Hard drive disconnected.  My softmodded xbox runs past 10 mins, doesn't shut down with DVD and Hard drive disconnected.

Have you fixed that trace and tested it again?

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

In the process of finding a person who does advanced soldering.

That's fine.

Soldering is not hard but if you have not had a bit of practice getting someone else to fix this one is not a bad idea.

As for getting practice find some old electronics that will not matter if you destroy it and go to town on soldering wires to it and desoldering parts as well, Youtube is you friend for help to start with.

For a soldering iron get a basic temperature controlled station

Get some 0.8mm 60/40 solder and flux paste in a syringe.

Cheers

SS Dave

I haven't done the repair yet but before I continue I would like to know if there is more damage than I thought.  I don't recall the hard drive making this noise when plugged in a pc.  Is this the result of a missing trace?  I called a few people if they would solder for me.  I got two quotes.  I decided if I am going to repair I will end up doing so myself.  I am looking into getting lead free solder paste and desoldering braid.  I have a budget solder iron but ended up vapourizing the solder that came with it.  Maybe solder paste is easier to work with as it is applied to the wire before melting it.

Here's the audio file of the hard drive seeking:   30(s)-end

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4AyFUMN71fUNKJcHa0Ao5WabzMIuWT8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Aero_105

Lead free solder is harder to work with you are better of getting some 60/40 or 63/37 solder and 1mm or 0.8mm

The hard drive in that audio clip is just about dead.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 2/22/2021 at 11:20 PM, big F said:

much better to use kynar wire and just brigde from components or vias

On 2/19/2021 at 2:23 AM, SS_Dave said:

Get some 0.8mm 60/40 solder and flux paste in a syringe.

I purchased a 40 watt weller solder iron, some 60/40 solder, desoldering braid and liquid rosin flux.  I practiced soldering and desoldering on a bad computer motherboard.  I then soldered a ethernet wire to bridge the gaps but had difficulty with the pin hole point of the trace and could not get the wire to hold.  The silver plate point was soldered but when desoldering it came off I was trying to put a new wire in that was better tinned.  I figured the wire must of been to big.  Now I have two damaged points.  Could I back track further and solder from point near R3G4 the top of the board to another point past the silver plate point of "Trace A" to point near C7P6.  I found a thinner wire about half the size I was using by splicing a broken xbox original controller cable.  

Point near C7P6

https://drive.google.com/file/d/184pdYORMIgrXsXWQiUSVUjiBCZPCUF_g/view?usp=sharing

Point near R3G4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12fBZmCnIaZO9DzZ6SuR1kDWqUbJ_uBTT/view?usp=sharing

You can follow the trace back further if needed. The wire you need is kynar wire. It’s small enough to fit into vias. It solders easy and can be bought cheaply on eBay. A couple of pounds dollars etc for enough for several xboxes.

Edited by big F

Well I back tracked and soldered a wire to one leg of a chip and the other end to one side of a resistor.  The xbox original powers on for 6(s) when plugged in then shuts off.  Afterward pressing the tray button powers the xbox original for at least 20 minutes and does not power off, which is good.  The power button does not work.  At least I am going again.  Is it safe to power off the unit by unplugging the cord?

bridge1.1.jpg.5b115e860f9de354e577ff07ed022f19.jpgbridge2.1.jpg.92d852781b2860e10ea22c10fe847e07.jpg

You will get away with that kind of power down for a while but long term its not good, if you catch the hard-drive in a write cycle when you pull the plug, it can and will eventually lead to data corruption.

best option follow the traces from the power button back onto the board, you'll probably find another track thats damaged.