OGXbox.com

General Differences between modchips

UserFriendly

Very new to Xbox modding here, hopefully this isn't too general of a question for this section but I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

Are there huge differences between mod chips to have so many different types or do they all essentially do the same thing just with some bells and whistles to set them apart? I just bought an xbox with a chip on it already(I believe it is an xecuter2) but plan on buying more to mod multiple xbox's. I guess I just wanted to know if I can do the same general thing with all chips or if certain chips can only do certain things.

Bells and whistles set them apart.   Basic chips like the Aladdin XT plus 2 only support 1 BIOS that is a maximum size of 256KB - the standard size of most modified Xbox BIOSes.   Team Xecuter's X2 5035 is a 512KB sized BIOS so you can't use it on that particular modchip.  You'd need one such at an Xecuter2 or other modchip that supports 512KB BIOSes. 

The latest, but soon to be old - R3DUX X3 clone/remake, modchip is the OpenXenium that supports multiple BIOSes that the user can boot the console with.  The version of Xbox you have also dictates which BIOS to use - v1.6's only have 2 options: M8plus_16 or X2 5035 16.  Using the basic modchip, Aladdin Xt plus 2 or cheapmod only supports M8plus_16 because of the size of the BIOS.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Bells and whistles set them apart.   Basic chips like the Aladdin XT plus 2 only support 1 BIOS that is a maximum size of 256KB - the standard size of most modified Xbox BIOSes.   Team Xecuter's X2 5035 is a 512KB sized BIOS so you can't use it on that particular modchip.  You'd need one such at an Xecuter2 or other modchip that supports 512KB BIOSes. 

The latest, but soon to be old - R3DUX X3 clone/remake, modchip is the OpenXenium that supports multiple BIOSes that the user can boot the console with.  The version of Xbox you have also dictates which BIOS to use - v1.6's only have 2 options: M8plus_16 or X2 5035 16.  Using the basic modchip, Aladdin Xt plus 2 or cheapmod only supports M8plus_16 because of the size of the BIOS.

So it sounds like if I want to cover all my bases, using an Xecuter2 modchip with X2 5032 16 bios will work on most all Xbox's?

The other chip that is also good for the 1.6 is the DuoX2 (2 X 512kb) it has a switch to select the banks you want or the Xblast chip as it has 1 x256kb and 1 x 512kb.

On most of the Xbox's I mod I use a Aladdin chip on the 1.6 boards (EvoxM8plus bios) and TSOP flash on the 1.0 - 1.4 boards (X2-5035 or Ind5004-67).

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, SS_Dave said:

The other chip that is also good for the 1.6 is the DuoX2 (2 X 512kb) it has a switch to select the banks you want or the Xblast chip as it has 1 x256kb and 1 x 512kb.

On most of the Xbox's I mod I use a Aladdin chip on the 1.6 boards (EvoxM8plus bios) and TSOP flash on the 1.0 - 1.4 boards (X2-5035 or Ind5004-67).

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you, I have like 5 1.6's laying around that I plan to mod so this is very helpful info.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, KaosEngineer said:

the X2 5035 16 BIOS only works on v1.6 xbox's you use the other release in the archive for older motherboard revisions.

Ok thank you, I'll check that out.