OGXbox.com

TL866 II Plus Programmer + Winbond W49F020T-90B

sweetdarkdestiny

I need some help on getting the flasher to work with the TSOP. I can read the TSOP (which is empty).

But each time I start to flash I get this error:

• Pins Detected Passed!
  • Erase  ...Succeeded. Time : 0.406 S
  • Programming FLASH ...
  • Programming  ...Failed

I have added the W49F020T-90B by hand which is the same like the W49F020 which is supported by the programmer (But the W49F020 will fail as well). Even if i disable "Check ID" I get the same error.

I have made a quick video and some pictures. I'm out of ideas what I could try next to get the damn bios on the winbond (if it's even possible). 

Pictures of the TSOP and adapter : https://imgur.com/a/mm5sTqw

Video of me getting bitch slapped (each time) by the programmer telling me "NOPE!". (Sounds more funny as it is tbh.) :  (link)  https://youtu.be/7kPO-TZjkic

21 minutes ago, Raja said:

Did you  receive the Xblast modchip and give that method a try?

Yes but because there is a faulty m8+ on it (or the TSOP is empty like the programmer shows) it didn't work with the XBlast and the m7_TSOP.bin 

So there are 2 options left.

1. Desolder the TSOP and flash it.
  2. Do a 29 wire mod.

So I brought the flasher (yeah over kill but fun) and desoldered the TSOP because, why not. But each time I try to flash it is say's just "NOPE, not you!". Funny part is that the flasher erases the TSOP each time. So weird...

LoL! I got a TSOP fragged Xbox too. The Xblast method only works for 1mb TSOP which is basically same as the three wire method. Or on the 256KB MS Bios. Any custom bios Fragged on the TSOP the m7.TSOP will not boot. Wish you the best of luck and I hope you succeed on the TSOP Programmer method so you can write a tutorial for us Noobs!

30 minutes ago, Raja said:

LoL! I got a TSOP fragged Xbox too. The Xblast method only works for 1mb TSOP which is basically same as the three wire method. Or on the 256KB MS Bios. Any custom bios Fragged on the TSOP the m7.TSOP will not boot. Wish you the best of luck and I hope you succeed on the TSOP Programmer method so you can write a tutorial for us Noobs!

Not on all customs.

- There is a chance this BIOS will not boot if you have previously flashed a hacked BIOS on your TSOP. 
From personnal experience, M8+ and X2 5035 are problematic across all revisions. 
IND-BIOS 5004 works on my 1.2 and 1.4 but not on my 1.0(probably an RC4 key issue).
- There is no LBA48 support. This BIOS is not meant to be used as your everyday BIOS anyway.
- Pre-insert you disc in your DVD drive. This BIOS resets on Eject.

I have 2 fragged Winbonds here. One 1.3 and one 1.4. I thought after the XBlast fail the programmer could do the job but, re-programming is a 50/50 chance like I got told (Works for one but ot for the other) . How ever, I think when the programmer can erase the TSOP there must be a way that he can programm it. I defently have a leek of knowlege here thats why I asked the community for help hoping some one here has some need full infos how to get it work.

If i have no chance to get this one working i already have a flashed Atmel DIP on hand with a m8 on it and one with for the 29 wire mod with the m7 which should be work but not sure why at all but some ppl. telling it will be ( https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7081 )  I will see torrow if I can wire it up. The pictures which are available are not to clear to me but hope dies last. 

So one way or the other I hope to get both back to life and if, I can write a tutorial but all depends on "IF". And you have to include me on "us Noobs!". I also not a "pro" at all but I have no fear to learn. ;)

And if I fail, well, the only hope then is that I solder a Aladdin in and bring them back that way which would still be a huge fail for me.

So let's see if someone here can help.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

FF FF is not the ID of a Winbond W49F020T flash memory chip. It is the first two bytes of the erased flash device.

The chip is either not making good connections to all the pins of the TSOP32 adapter or dead. (Edit: Or, the programmer is not accessing the Identification data of the device correctly.)

The manufacturerID:productID pair of the flash chip should be:  DA 8C

I know that it should be DA 8C (and it is by default) but if I let programmer read the ID it shows FF FF. I also have dumped the Chip but the dump is empty (checked the MD5 in the evox.ini). And i have tried to flash the chip with the default entry W49F020 because they are all the same (W49F02/W49F020T ect.) no luck. The Chip will be erased fine, the Pin Check is also fine (the programmer test this by default and displays errors) but the ID Check fails in both cases (FF FF / DA 8C). If i disable the ID check the programmer end up not flashing the chip.

Self check of the programmer is ok and i flashed some atmel eproms with the m7 TSOP and a m8 so the programmer works fine i would say.

But I have to admit because it shows FF FF that the TSOP is just dead. Not sure how that possible by flashing a bios to it.

I will try to solder the 29 wire thing up in the other dead Winbond xbox and see what happens. If I'm not able to flash the TSOP I go and desolder the TSOP as well to check it with the programmer. If it also displays FF FF i think there must be something damn wrong in the flash process. I think the combination of winbond+resctoox+custom .dds file was the problem but.... -> What makes me wonder is, that the same bios works on a ST TSOP without a problem but killed 3 Winbonds. I simply don't get that in my head. This hole thing realy p***** me off.

I maybe go to order 2 or 3 W29C040T which i have found here in a german shop (no way to get the W29C020T) and solder them in to see if that would work, which I assume should be!?

Run the Gentoox Loader 6.07 - the XBE version instead running/booting Resctoox. (See attachment below)

Edit: You will have to use UnleashX's or another replacement dashboard's File Explorer to browse to the location of the Loader.xbe file to run it.  Note: Once you run the Loader.xbe file, the eject ring will color cycle  red/green/orange then flash orange. 

Use the D-pad to move the menu selection before the short timeout expires, the (3) by the Select from Menu text, after which the Loader attempts to boot Linux from the FatX device - Xbox's hard drive. Once a different selection is made, the countdown is stopped and the user must press (A) to activate a selection.

1930539142_gamingpasttime.com-Hard-Drive-Swap-9-small.jpg.b60c1eea3f22efa1f144a7d3962cb28c.jpg

Image Source: http://gamingpastime.com/original-xbox-hdd-hard-drive-swap-tutorial/hard-drive-swap-9/

With the D-pad, move the menu selection to the Advanced option at the far right (currently not visible - more options will scroll into view to show 3 menu item icons at a time with the left and right arrow bubbles as needed on the edges to indicate additional items available in that direction), then press (A).

The Flash Menu should be highlighted, press (A) to enter its submenu.

The following flashing methods are available:

• Net Flash
  • Web Update - I don't think this is a flashing method but a way to install Gentoox Linux updates. (Not clearly documented - most likely I just haven't found where it is documented. Found it: "Web Update". This downloads the latest version of Gentoox Loader from SourceForge and flashes it.)
  • CD Flash (image.bin)
  • HDD Flash

Select one then press (A) to activate it.

If you have the BIOS .bin files stored in C:\BIOS on the hard drive, you can select the HDD Flash method and browse to the dot bin file you wish to flash to the TSOP. Press (A) and follow any on-screen instructions to flash the BIOS.

I prefer to use the Net Flash method. After it is enabled, open a web browser on your PC and connect to the Xbox's IP address displayed on the TV screen. Once the web browser has been started and net flash is available the eject ring will again repeatedly color cycle.

Next, follow the instructions on the web page to flash the BIOS to the TSOP. 

1828073526_GentooxLoader-NetFlash.thumb.PNG.da4aa92036b290703eebd5e3de24f45d.PNG

When flashing the TSOP or modchip with Gentoox Loader, the BIOS's dot bin file needs to be the same size as the TSOP or modchip bank size you are flashing.  For a Winbond W49F020T TSOP, the file must be 256KBs (262,144 bytes).

Gentoox.ShALLaX.Loader-v6.07.rar

• 9 months later...

I've not been very satisfied with this programmer software/database.  The W49F020t is one of the chips that I think are programmed incorrectly.  You can use the M29F002BT which has the same pinouts.  I was able to read by W49F020T under that profile and got the right manufacturer code DA but get an odd device code of FE which is not the 8C in the datasheet.  Ultimately I was unable to program that chip.

5 hours ago, Daefledar said:

I've not been very satisfied with this programmer software/database.  The W49F020t is one of the chips that I think are programmed incorrectly.  You can use the M29F002BT which has the same pinouts.  I was able to read by W49F020T under that profile and got the right manufacturer code DA but get an odd device code of FE which is not the 8C in the datasheet.  Ultimately I was unable to program that chip.

There are a wide range of flash memory chips with the same pinout which can be read without first checking the device's identification value.

However, if the chip is not returning a correct manufacturer and product id, the programmer will most likely refuse to program it.

The W49F020T you have may be a fake/clone Winbond flash chip or if a real Winbond flash chip, it is malfunctioning.

A W49F020T's ID is manufacturer ID 0xda and product ID 0x8c. Oops: Which you already knew.

18 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

There are a wide range of flash memory chips with the same pinout which can be read without first checking the device's identification value.

However, if the chip is not returning a correct manufacturer and product id, the programmer will most likely refuse to program it.

The W49F020T you have may be a fake/clone Winbond flash chip or if a real Winbond flash chip, it is malfunctioning.

I probably should have left out that annecdote.  I think the Winbond chip was just malfunctioning.  I pulled it from a problematic Xbox.

I really just wanted to point out if your using the TL866 II and are using the supplied software Xgpro as of v11.20 the W49F002 profile does not correctly read the W49F020 (There is not a W49F020 profile in the software) series of chips.  Even though at a glance it looks like the chlps are compatible.  At the very least, the pinouts are the same and the command sequence to read the IDs are the same.  However, the TL866 II will not correctly perform any action.  You can use the M29F002BT (There are probably more that will work) profile to at least read the chip and IDs as long as you disable the verify ID function.  I have a few Winbond chips I can try later to see if that profile is fully compatible.  The data sheets were making my eyes cross trying to compare commands and timing.

I'm also assuming the OP created his profile from the W49F002 as I could not find a W49F020 profile in the two versions of software I have.  

2 hours ago, Daefledar said:

really just wanted to point out if your using the TL866 II and are using the supplied software Xgpro as of v11.20 the W49F002 profile does not correctly read the W49F020 (There is not a W49F020 profile in the software) series of chips.

XGecu has a newer release v11.60 of the software available from their forums website:

Download Newest XGecu T56/TL866II software(下载最新软件) - 编程器使用与软件下载 - XGecu Programmer Forums - Powered by Discuz!

The supported devices list states that these W49F002 and 020 devices are supported.  Since I don't own one of these programmers, I don't know if it actually does.

• W49F002                            
  • W49F002 @PLCC32                     
  • W49F002 @TSOP32                    
  • W49F002A                            
  • W49F002A @PLCC32                    
  • W49F002A @TSOP32                    
  • W49F002B                            
  • W49F002B @PLCC32                    
  • W49F002B @TSOP32                    
  • W49F002U                            
  • W49F002U @PLCC32                    
  • W49F002U @TSOP32                    
  • W49F020                            
  • W49F020 @PLCC32                     
  • W49F020 @TSOP32                    

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

There is a profile (which I had used) : https://imgur.com/a/2gbIv7J

I have no idea why I couldn't find it.  I found it in my two versions also.  Just getting blind I suppose.  

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

XGecu has a newer release v11.60 of the software available from their forums website:

Download Newest XGecu T56/TL866II software(下载最新软件) - 编程器使用与软件下载 - XGecu Programmer Forums - Powered by Discuz!

The supported devices list states that these W49F002 and 020 devices are supported.  Since I don't own one of these programmers, I don't know if it actually does.                   

Good call.  I really should have looked for a newer version.  The software even was letting me know there was an update.

Ok, I think I've gotten everything straight now.

Pulled a good chip.  Using the W49F002 Profile works great.  ID is read correctly, reading and programming all work correctly. (Still have to turn off ID verification)

Using the W49F020 profile doesn't work at all.  ID is read as FF FF reading the chip is blank and programing fails.

I've attached the chip and screenshots to make sure I've gotten everything straight.529024166_SuccessfulFlash.thumb.png.de8afb000c45e92a41a6275fb1aa0259.png

PXL_20211118_143646988.jpg

Failed Flash.png

• 5 weeks later...

Finaly I found the solution to read and WRITE the Winbond W49F020T-90B correctly.

So grab the " M29F002BT " like Daefledar mentioned. Then select " ADD IC BY USE " and use the M29F002BT as reference.

Add your own name " W49F020T-90B " and add manufactor " Winbond ". Device ID as usual " DA C8 ". (See screen shot) : https://imgur.com/a/wsiJ2d4

Now you can read and write the TSOP using the addoed profile without any problem. I did that now 3 times to check. I also checked the written/dumped bios (EvoX) with EvTool and damn, it works! Btw. The " Check ID " box needs to be disabled.

Here is a video how it works and the proof that it work : https://youtu.be/3Sj6634y8yQ

EDIT : And btw. a new update for the programmer is out (11.71) : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hfg5kfj7euw5j/xgecu

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Наконец я нашел решение правильно читать и ЗАПИСАТЬ Winbond W49F020T-90B.

Так что хватайте «M29F002BT», как упоминал Даэфледар. Затем выберите «ДОБАВИТЬ IC BY USE» и используйте M29F002BT в качестве эталона.

Добавьте свое имя «W49F020T-90B» и укажите производителя «Winbond». Идентификатор устройства как обычно "DA C8". (См. снимок экрана): https://imgur.com/a/wsiJ2d4

Теперь вы можете без проблем читать и писать TSOP, используя добавленный профиль. Я сделал это уже 3 раза, чтобы проверить. Я также проверил записанный/сброшенный биос (EvoX) с помощью EvTool и, черт возьми, он работает! Кстати. Поле «Проверить идентификатор» необходимо отключить.

Вот видео, как это работает, и доказательство того, что оно работает: https://youtu.be/3Sj6634y8yQ.

РЕДАКТИРОВАТЬ: И кстати. вышло новое обновление для программатора (11.71): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hfg5kfj7euw5j/xgecu

You're leading me into a delusion! You have AM29F002B (AMD) on your video

AM.png

AM1.png

Edited by Slavik916

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 4:30 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Это всего лишь ссылка. Вы сами добавляете микросхему на основе этого чипа. Однако есть профиль, который вы можете попробовать, но я не уверен, что они это исправили. 

Звишенаблаж01.jpg

You need to use the DA 8C method and W49F020 profil

ID BIOS.txt

Edited by Slavik916