OGXbox.com

Using two leds on EEPROM reader cable instead of a zener diode.

Aero_105

Need a checkup on building a EEPROM reader from a person with a background on electronics.  Can I use two leds in series instead of a 5.1V zener diode rated at 1W for a EEPROM xbox original reader?  Can a 3.0V coin battery or 4X1.2V AA batteries @ 4.8V be used as a external powersupply directly?  Would 4.8V have too high of mAh or current for the EEPROM chip?  I plan to use a serial to RJ45 with a connector to ethernet as a cable.  I am using a bread board to create the circuit.  I plan to use the materials I already have.

3 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

Need a checkup on building a EEPROM reader from a person with a background on electronics.  Can I use two leds in series instead of a 5.1V zener diode rated at 1W for a EEPROM xbox original reader?  Can a 3.0V coin battery or 4X1.2V AA batteries @ 4.8V be used as a external powersupply directly?  Would 4.8V have too high of mAh or current for the EEPROM chip?  I plan to use a serial to RJ45 with a connector to ethernet as a cable.  I am using a bread board to create the circuit.  I plan to use the materials I already have.

I am sure it will not work, as an LEDs only pupose is to emit light and does not have any voltage regulator in it.  If you are in Canada search for BC Robotics as they have all the supplies you will need to build your eeprom reader under $5. Again I am no expert in electronics it might be possible maybe some other member can clarify this better.

BC Robotics is an option.   Would 1/4W rating resistor be ok?  The zener diode is rated at 1W.  What is the voltage from the serial port is it like 12V and possibly 500mA?  Ian_T off of forum Afterdawn used two led in series and it worked for him.  I wonder if his circuit would have an over voltage?  Search "led" in these two pages ctrl + f in google chrome.

https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/how-to-read-your-xboxs-eeprom-and-get-the-hdd-key-without-removing-the-chip-or-modding-the-xbox.463026/page-6

https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/how-to-read-your-xboxs-eeprom-and-get-the-hdd-key-without-removing-the-chip-or-modding-the-xbox.463026/page-16

This is the one I have used.

1/4w resistors are fine and the zener diode are to stop the voltage from going above 5 volt, the original serial ports where +15 volt fo a high signal and -15 volt for a low signal so that equals up o 30 volt.

If you really want to a led is about the same as a 3.6 volt zener

1083027377_simpleeepromreader.PNG.8098223e9d336ed48612329e7c28cdf1.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Well I managed to get the eeprom bin file from the original xbox.  At first I got a "busy bus error -11".  I had a 3.0V coin battery it was not enough to power the chip.  I then ended up plugging in the original xbox to power the chip.  Ran PonyProg2000 with no issues.  After disconnecting the pin header the leds lit up.  So the power must of diverted for the leds to light up.  In device manager I disabled the com port before disconnecting the cable to work on the circuit with the original xbox unplugged just to be safe.

• Like 1