OGXbox.com

Big issue with Samsung SDG-605F

DobaMuffin

Hello everyone, I am writing this today to see if anyone would potentially know what the issue is with my Xbox's dvd drive.

A little backstory. I got an unopened 1.6 many months ago. The console would give the lovely 07 error, so I figured the hard drive was the problem. I swapped out the hard drive with a known good working hard drive, and chipped the console, and would still get the 07 error. In my quest to repair the xbox, I noticed that the green light was constantly flashing whenever I turned the console on. I swapped out the disc drive and all of the console's problems went away.

That brings me to my issue. I currently have a Samsung SDG-605F that stops the console from detecting the hard drive whenever its IDE cable is connected. If I connect only the power cable, the console will open and close the console no problem. When I then connect the IDE cable, the console flashes green constantly and the drive will not respond to the eject button being pressed.

I've taken a look at the drive's motherboard and there is nothing that stands out as wrong. My thoughts are that the firmware has gotten partially corrupted, the dram chip on the drive's motherboard is dead, or there are issues with the MediaTek controller on the drive's motherboard. I'm not sure what the issue is. I am hoping that someone here knows what the issue is and what I would need to do to fix it. Thank you for reading through all of this.

DobaMuffin

5 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

What a HDD do you use and which bios do use on your ModChip? If you use a SATA HDD with converter, do you use a 80 wire cable with it?

I tried with stock HDD and 80GB IDE drives. I also swapped the DVD drive into a different working console, and the same result happened. Green flashing light and 07 error. This was on stock bios, m8+_16, and whatever bios was on my x-chip.

I have heard of Philips DVD drives doing this and I believe it's a possible short on one or more DATA lines on the 40/80 way IDE cable, If that's the case you are better off getting a replacement DVD drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

17 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I have a Samsung SDG-605F laying here with a dead laser but the controler board is working fine (Pic of it : https://imgur.com/a/8CfCD6V ) In case you're somewhere in the EU, I could send the contorller board to you for postage.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm located all the way in Canada so that's a little far. 

19 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I have heard of Philips DVD drives doing this and I believe it's a possible short on one or more DATA lines on the 40/80 way IDE cable, If that's the case you are better off getting a replacement DVD drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

That sucks. Do you know what causes this short?

44 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

On the Philips DVD drive it looks like the Via points are corroding .

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.63903338f12b4b6c74384864f80eb181.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

That's interesting. I never though to check all of the vias under a microscope. Checked all of the ICs, resistors, capacitors, etc. If the vias don't bring up anything, then I guess I'll have to start replacing chips one by one. Probably would start with reprogramming the lpc flash chip  first though.