OGXbox.com

Controller only works when OpenXenium disconnected

RexMundi

I did search first before posting and couldn't find any threads specifically talking about this.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.  I have tested with an original XBOX S Type controller and a 3rd party controller.  I have also tested with a USB keyboard and an adapter.  None of which work when I enter XeniumOS.  However, the controllers work when modchip is disconnected.

This is a 1.4 revision XBOX.  I assume it must be one of my solder joints to the modchip.  I have already reflowed these joints multiple times to fix another issue.  Unfortunately, I closed the machine up before I realized the problem.  Anyone know which pins I should focus on?  Is there a way to test continuity between LPC header pins and the motherboard?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If the Open Xenium menu is available then I would say you soldering is all good.

Are you sure it is genuine controller?

The only time I have heard of issues is with non original controllers on some software, A DVD remote will sort of work on a Xenium menu so you could test that and if that's working then the controllers are to blame.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RexMundi said:

I also tried with 3 usb keyboards.  Should that work?

Not here they don't and until the dash is loaded there will not be any driver for a keyboard.

I tested a HP brand USB keyboard and a Logitech wireless USB keyboard and both don't do anything on the Xenium menu.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Programs like Chimp and other linux programs will not work with non genuine controllers even Xblast will only work with a original controller.

If you have a DVD kit (DVD remote and dongle) it will sort of work with the Xenium menus and you might be able to select a BIOS to load.

I just found  powerwave brand ccontroller and it's a no go.

Cheers

SS Dave

That has the same part number as mine, So I don't understand why it's not working.

I assume you have tried different game ports as well.

Are you powering on the Xbox with the eject button?

Cheers

SS Dave

Nope.  Powering on with power button.  

So upon further testing, I once again removed the modchip and tested with stock controller and it doesn't work now!  However, the 3rd party controller works without modchip.  This stock controller must have just failed.  I bought it second-hand on ebay so who knows.  I have another one on the way that has been tested so maybe that will solve the problem.

Thanks for your help!

I would be keen to see what happens with the replacement controller

When you power on with the Eject it should bring up the Xenium menu. What BIOS is it booting to when you use the power button?

I also tested a Open Xenium as well as a original Xenium and I got the same results as before.

Cheers

SS Dave