OGXbox.com

Aladdin Live modchip doesn't boot

Benedikt.m

Hey guys,

I just found this forum googling for an instruction for my modchip. Probably 14 years ago i installed this modchip and it worked fine for years. A few years ago after i moved i wanted to use my xbox again and it dind't work at all. So today I atemped another try. I reconed a loose cable which supposedly needed to be connectet to ground, which i did. Now the Xbox does boot the original bios. I can see my copied music and game saves. Trying to start it with pressing the power button for  2 seconds sometime leeds to atempt to start in whatever bios is installed on the modchip, but it restarts in the original bios. Nevertheless the LED on the modchip does light up on start. Do you have an idea how to get it to boot up with the modchip or a procedure to test if the modchip itself is actually working? Maybe you can point me to thread i missed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It looks like the D0 wire is not connected.

The 2 arrows are supposed to be joined.

20210123_130941pokmw.jpg.cff7575bf4c1030dacfba387a3f30041.jpg

I would suggest you rerun the wire from the D0 on the mod chip to the alternative point on the bottom.

The pic on the lower left.

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

When that is connected you need to hold the power button for about 1 second until the led turns green then release it and it should boot ok.

Or you could link the D0 point on the board to ground (as above) then remove all the wires from the mod chip and link the BT to pin2(ground) like this.

1967402295_20210123_130941pokmw(1).jpg.6f6399a3cd980c914f5558a61d1922de.jpg

Some of the ways mod chips are fitted amaze me, who ever fitted that one soldered the pin header then soldered the chip to it instead of plugging it on the header.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

It looks like the D0 wire is not connected.

The 2 arrows are supposed to be joined.

20210123_130941pokmw.jpg.cff7575bf4c1030dacfba387a3f30041.jpg

I would suggest you rerun the wire from the D0 on the mod chip to the alternative point on the bottom.

The pic on the lower left.

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

When that is connected you need to hold the power button for about 1 second until the led turns green then release it and it should boot ok.

Or you could link the D0 point on the board to ground (as above) then remove all the wires from the mod chip and link the BT to pin2(ground) like this.

1967402295_20210123_130941pokmw(1).jpg.6f6399a3cd980c914f5558a61d1922de.jpg

Some of the ways mod chips are fitted amaze me, who ever fitted that one soldered the pin header then soldered the chip to it instead of plugging it on the header.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi Dave,

thanks for your quick reply. You'recorrect. D0 wasn't connected as i opened my xbox. But i used the alternative ground, which you mentionend, to reconnect it. 

I fitted this modchip years ago 😉 and followed the provided instructions. D0 was soldered to on of the IDE-pins which should be ground as well. 

My problem is that with D0 connected to ground, the xbox only starts as a regular xbox. Starting it, as you suggest, leads mostly to the same result. Sometimes it seems to try to boot from the Chip but instead it restarts in regular xbox mode.

My next move would be to resolder the chip like you showed in your last picture. But i would assume, the chip should also work with D0 connected to ground, if it is still working correctly.  This behaviour might also be related to bad solder Points/connections?

Nonetheless it's good to know D0 needs to be linked to ground. I hope my english is good enough that you guys can understand my problem. If sonething is unclear please Just say it and will try to clearify it.

3 hours ago, Benedikt.m said:

Okay, i think i get it now - hopefully. D0 on the chip Just says where the cable needs to go, not what it is ... And the point labled D0 on the Chip is actually ground?

You are thinking is close the D0 on the chip would connect to the D0 on the main board.

It is just that I connect the D0 on the board to ground and not to the mod chip so the mod chip has no wires going to the main board and is just plugged on via the pin header.

Cheers

SS Dave