OGXbox.com

xDarkMaster

Greetings everyone. Here's the situation: both my xboxes' dvd drives died. One is a thomson which receives power,but won't read the disks; then there's the philips one which doesn't even get recognized. I have one of those lg drives for pc that can be adapted to work as a new xbox dvd drive, but i miss the yellow power cable to attach it to the mobo. So my idea was to get it from the power/eject buttons. Does anybody have already attempted this and some tips?Is it even possible?(i cannot get ahold of a newcable for experimenting for cheap,so imstuck with this). My idea was to build like a couple of buttons to short the pins on the connectors on the motherboard in order to prompt the power/eject switches(don'tcare about leds, i only care of a good functioning xbox). Thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You do realize unless the Xbox is already modded it will not be able to the the computer DVD drive unless you reflash the firmware on the DVD drive.

Oh yes, i am already aware of that. I've already set up an old pc i had with an ide port. Now im only evaluating if it's actually possible or even worth the effort.

At the moment i m doing some reasearch to see whether it's possible to boot without a dvd drive in the first place...i read of flashing a bios that removes the dvd drive check at startup,but i don't know what bios my modchip(Aladdin XT 4064 on a 1.4 xbox) uses and if it supports this feature. I don't want to risk frying it.

Edited by xDarkMaster

6 hours ago, xDarkMaster said:

Oh yes, i am already aware of that. I've already set up an old pc i had with an ide port. Now im only evaluating if it's actually possible or even worth the effort.

At the moment i m doing some reasearch to see whether it's possible to boot without a dvd drive in the first place...i read of flashing a bios that removes the dvd drive check at startup,but i don't know what bios my modchip(Aladdin XT 4064 on a 1.4 xbox) uses and if it supports this feature. I don't want to risk frying it.

I may have a spare drive if that helps?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xDarkMaster said:

At the moment i m doing some research to see whether it's possible to boot without a dvd drive in the first place...i read of flashing a bios that removes the dvd drive check at startup,but i don't know what bios my modchip(Aladdin XT 4064 on a 1.4 xbox) uses and if it supports this feature.

Yes it is possible but you will need to reflash the modchip with a no DVD bios, It more than likely has a EvoxM8 bios in it at the moment but it will be old any way.

I would use the EvoxM8-plus bios as it will support up to a 3tb (2.2tb usable) hard drive ad is normally set to No-DVD. The no DVD just stops the Xbox crashing if the DVD drive is not present at boot.

The modchip you have supports a 256kb size bios file so you could use the EvoxM8-plus or the Ind5004.67 as either will work with a 3tb and will support the No-DVD option.

27 minutes ago, Haizum74 said:

I don't want to risk frying it.

Flashing a mod chip is safer than flashing TSOP because if the flash on a modchip fails it can be reflashed using the hot swap method(boot with a similar modchip the unplug the good chip and connect the other chip to flash while the power is on).

27 minutes ago, Haizum74 said:

I may have a spare drive if that helps?

It would help to get the Xbox running long enough to reflash the modchip with a No DVD bios.

This is the Evox BIOS file I use in all builds unless it's a 128meg.

Evox m8+ 67 No DVD.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, xDarkMaster said:

I'll find another way to sort this out

As long as you can boot the Xbox with the modchip you can flash that chip even  if the DVD dive is not reading disks.

You can FTP Xblast or Raincoat to the Xbox and use that to flash the chip.

Do both Xbox's have a modchip?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Comment

On 1/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, xDarkMaster said:

On a previous thread on this Forum you identified the other Xbox's chip as a Xkiller clone

I am not sure if this one will flash easily, I would be inclined to TSOP flash that one by load the hard drive with a softmod and make sure it has a TSOP flash on the drive as well (raincoat or Xblast).

Once the drive is locked to the Xbox you need to disconnect the blue wire as that is going to ground and the D0 on the board and if all has gone to plan it should boot of the TSOP, Don't forget to add the 2 TSOP write links 1 on the top and 1 on the bottom.

Once that's done you can now flash the TSOP to handle a large HDD and No-DVD.

Bottom

IMG_20200429_224233.thumb.jpg.f208748fd2ed32bf155d94f2f2913604.jpg

IMG_20200429_224821.thumb.jpg.8bcf8979c90f21710ceaf0abebddea56.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i was reading this thread and i got the impression you are not super confident with the tinkering, thats not meant as an insult.

its ok to be cautious, better cautious than bricking something, but if you want to flash your tsop and dont feel confident to solder the points, you can cut 2 small foil circles just big enough to cover the points, then place these on to two small squares of tape(in the middle), selotape is good as its see through.

when finished they should look like two small sticking plasters(bandaids), now stick these on the points for the tsop, make sure they are not too big, you dont want shorts.

then boot and flash with you favourite program, after you can just gently pull of the tape, it works iv'e tried it quite a few times now fist couple of times i used some copper foil i had but its not needed, it works just the same with aluminium foil, the best bit is you dont need a soldering iron.

• Like 1