OGXbox.com

Running Xbox Softmodding Tool off HDD to restore to factory.

Aero_105

In the Build v1.1.8\Extras Disc\Documents folder their is a txt file that says:

You can run the "Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras Disc.iso" from the Xbox HDD.

What happens if I run the virtual image and wish to restore xbox to factory using that image.  Will it corrupt the drive as the image is being read off the same drive?  Or being a virtual image it is stored in a temporary location and once the xbox is restored it is deleted and won't interfere when restoring.

I have two xbox's; one I wish to keep original and another as a softmodded one for test purposes.  I ended up softmodding both just to get the EEPROM.bin and then to restore the one back.  The burned CD-R with the Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras Disc does not read in the Samsung SDG-605F drive.  Before I try to burn a another disc to dvd-r I was wondering if running the iso off the hdd would work.

7 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

In the Build v1.1.8\Extras Disc\Documents folder their is a txt file that says:

You can run the "Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras Disc.iso" from the Xbox HDD.

What happens if I run the virtual image and wish to restore xbox to factory using that image.  Will it corrupt the drive as the image is being read off the same drive?  Or being a virtual image it is stored in a temporary location and once the xbox is restored it is deleted and won't interfere when restoring.

The virtual disc image gets destroyed.  However, the process of doing a factory restore loads and runs a copy of UnleashX from RAM.  This dashboard copies all the data it needs from the mounted disc image, D drive, before it is lost to the E and Y drives to perform the restore to factory default operation.  As well, UnleashX upon exiting before it restarts the console deletes the prep files from E then formats the X, Y and Z cache drives.

Here's the menu entry and actions performed by the Factory Restore operation:

<Item>Restore Xbox:</Item>

<List Text=" To Default Factory State" Sort="Off" Batch="True" password="">

<Item Action="MessageBox" arg1="Space!">"Please make sure you have a minimum of 30MB free on the E partition before proceeding."</Item>

<Item Action="MessageBox" arg1="Warning!">Please note, This will revert your Xbox to a state similar to how it was when originally purchased. You will have two options to pick from, "A Clean State" or "keep Game Saves". Note: This will not keep any DLC, Applications eg... on the E partition.</Item>

<Item Action="MessageBox" arg1="Note!">I will install all the exploitable saves so you can resoftmod the system at a later date. I also include the UDDAE exploit so you can resoftmod the system without needing one of the exploitable games.</Item>

<Item Action="AskUser" arg1="Restore?" arg2="Are you sure you want to continue?"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\skins\Factory Reset" arg2="E:\Prep\skins\Factory Reset"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\skins\skin files" arg2="E:\Prep\skins\skin files"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\configs\factoryreset.xml" arg2="E:\Prep\Config.xml"/>

<Item Action="Format" arg1="Y"/>

<Item Action="Unzip" arg1="D:\Softmod\softmod files\Xbox Softmodding Tool.zip" arg2="Y:\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="Y:\boot.cfg" arg2="E:\Prep\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="Y:\NoVC.bin" arg2="E:\Prep\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="Y:\unleashx.xbe" arg2="E:\Prep\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="Y:\default.xbe" arg2="E:\Prep\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\dashboards\msdash\Other\Audio.zip" arg2="Y:\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\dashboards\msdash\retail\5960.zip" arg2="Y:\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\dashboards\msdash\Other\UDDAE-C.zip" arg2="Y:\"/>

<Item Action="Copy" arg1="D:\Softmod\dashboards\msdash\Other\UDDAE-E.zip" arg2="Y:\"/>

<Item Action="E:\Prep\default.xbe"/>

</list>

The last Item Action transfers control from the mounted disc image to the default.xbe file stored in E:\Prep.  Therefore, no longer needing access to the mounted disc image.  If it gets lost, so be it.

This copy of UnleashX uses the D:\Softmod\configs\factoryreset.xml configuration copied to E:\Prep\Config.xml several Item Action lines earlier in this list of operations. The new menu appears prompting the user to finish the restoration or stop the process thus not actually restoring to factory but reboots the console leaving things as they were.  Its a bit more complex than that but you get the idea.  Read the factoryreset.xml file yourself. :)

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You will have two options to pick from, "A Clean State" or "keep Game Saves". Note: This will not keep any DLC, Applications eg... on the E partition.

Is Halo 2 multiplayer map pack considered a DLC?  Is there a way to preserve the content on the E partition as I don't have the disc but the content was installed before I got the xbox.  Could I ftp the E partition, restore the xbox to factory,  unlock the hdd with chimp 261812 on the softmodded xbox, load the hdd on pc, using Xplorer360 put the backup files on the E partition then lock the drive with chimp 261812 on the softmodded xbox. 

In my view you are probably best leaving it soft modded now,

If you ever needed the eeprom later on because of a HDD failure it can be easily read but by that time the DVD drive will have failed as well.

At this stage fitting a modchip would be the way to get it working again.

If you really want a stock Xbox then buy a non modded one and don't touch it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

10 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

Is Halo 2 multiplayer map pack considered a DLC?  Is there a way to preserve the content on the E partition as I don't have the disc but the content was installed before I got the xbox.  Could I ftp the E partition, restore the xbox to factory,  unlock the hdd with chimp 261812 on the softmodded xbox, load the hdd on pc, using Xplorer360 put the backup files on the E partition then lock the drive with chimp 261812 on the softmodded xbox. 

Yes, Halo 2 multiplayer map pack is DLC.  It is not preserved by the Keep Game Saves option. Only content in E:\UDATA is preserved.  DLC is stored on E:\TDATA and not preserved.

As well, A Clean Start option, wipes game saves and DLC.  It reformats the E drive.

I did a backup on the E:\TDATA.  Ran the Xbox Softmodding Tool on the xbox's hdd to restore to factory and it worked no problems.  Saw data being put on the Y:drive then UDATA being saved.  Now I am trying to copy back the E:\TDATA.  Connecting xbox hdd to pc.

1. I unplugged the dvd drive ide.

2. Powered the xbox on.             to unlock the hdd

3. When error 12 shows up disconnected hdd ide on xbox

4. Connect pc master ide to xbox hdd.

5. Wake computer from sleep mode.

6. Run Xplorer360 > drive > open > hard drive

I get a error with Xplorer360 saying "Could not find FatX drive to open"

Note: I am only using an IDE connection off the motherboard.  I am able to see the drive on Windows device manager.

I'll try again later.  This video has some troubleshooting techniques:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlrCXdxmZUY

Update:  Got the TDATA files transferred tested on xbox and they work.  Ended up having main pc powered on and swapped ide cable from xbox to pc ide within 5 seconds at the error 12 screen, refreshed device manager, ran Xplorer360, deleted existing TDATA files replaced the TDATA files and then powered xbox down reconnected the cables back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...