OGXbox.com

OpenXenium OS Menu: can't change skins, LEDs...won't read from HDD

gehx

I have an OpenXenium chip installed in my 1.6 box w/ 2TB Sata HDD;  StarTech adapter; Chimeric custom 80 ide cable. 

I just finished installing the Xenium RGB mod by Nemesis.  So I downloaded all of the Xenium OS LED and Skin files.  Uploaded them to their own subdirs in a subdir named XeniumOS on E:\

so:

E:\XeniumOS\Skins

-and-

E:\XeniumOS\LEDS

when I select Choose LEDs... the only thing that shows up is <Default>, not the list of leds.  I thought that was weird so I made sure E:\XeniumOS dir existed w/ sub dir LEDS, yep it does.  Still stumped I thought well maybe the chip isn't reading from the HDD for some reason...so I opened Disk Tools from the OS menu and selected Format Partition and choose the Z partition.  Selected Master selected Yes all the way through til I was REALLY sure....it said "Failed to format partition!"  Did the same for Slave.  So I confirmed it's not reading from the HDD...then I thought well i should FTP in and see if I can see the list of directories, they aren't there. 

I put my orig 8GB IDE HDD in w/ orig IDE cable and tried the same thing....it shows the LED files and Skin files.  I'm stumped trying to figure this out.  I've made sure the blue end of the IDE cable is connected to the HDD.  Tried ALL of the jumper locations on the StarTech adapter; Master, Slave, CS and the other one.  I have no idea, I gave up for the evening.  

FWIW, XBMC loads fine and I can see all of my files in the dash and FTP, games and apps load fine from the HDD...so It's a Xenium OS issue;  it's probably related to another issue but I'm not sure what it is so I made this post asking for help.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to get read access to my sata HDD in the Xenium OS?

TIA!

Edited by gehx

11 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Have you tried all lower case?

e:\xeniumos\skins.

Or try putting the files on  memory card and see if it can find them

Just a thought.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I've tried renaming to lowercase..I also put the same subdirs on a flashdrive.  I know the xenium sees the flash drive cause I can flash BIOS' from it.  so it's definitely a problem w/ accessing SATA HDD's in the Xenium OS; I also get an empty dir listing when FTP'ing. 

I tried a original 10gb hard drive and put the skins in a folder on E:\XeniumOS\Skins

2134743283_XeniumSkins.PNG.82611f69e2d757135c9baa0a7f2bc122.PNG

And hay presto there is a list of skins available to choose from

And this was tested on a version 1.6

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

yeah but that's the stock IDE drive, right?  My issue is w/ SATA drive formated w/ XBPartitioner .  It's a problem w/ the way it's formatted...xbpartitioner....Nemesis told me what the problem was and offered a solution. I did that and it solved the issue of the SATA HDD not being accessible in the Xenium OS, however, I think I still need to do some tweaking..I'm missing HDD space, but I think I can live w/ that...He said to format C and E in evox, F and G in xbpartitioner.  That worked.

The mod chip was made when a 137gb was the maximum size hard drive allowed and who thought that a 2tb drive would become the norm or even considered a small HDD.

The other thing with a OpenXenium is it doesn't like the DVD drive unplugged when it's trying to look for the HDD

You are probably better off just keeping old stock drive just to change the skins and the LED patterns.

Cheers

SS Dave

23 hours ago, gehx said:

The thing I don't get is  I can access an IDE HDD w/o issue in the Xenium OS; the problem is when a SATA HDD is used.  I have everything connected correctly?   There isn't a fix?

strange, are you using the stock IDE cable with the new SATA drive/adapter combo or a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin cable?

25 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

strange, are you using the stock IDE cable with the new SATA drive/adapter combo or a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin cable?

The tests I did here on a version 1.6 and a 500gb, 1tb, 3tb using a 80 way cable and both a Chinse and Startech IDE2Sata and the only way I could get the Open Xenium to see the skins was on a stock drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The tests I did here on a version 1.6 and a 500gb, 1tb, 3tb using a 80 way cable and both a Chinse and Startech IDE2Sata and the only way I could get the Open Xenium to see the skins was on a stock drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

weird.  There must be another bug in ind-bios edit: XeniumOS pertaining to a v1.6 motherboard.

Did it work on other motherboard versions?

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

weird.  There must be another bug in ind-bios pertaining to a v1.6 motherboard.

just a thought...it shouldn't be a BIOS issue since the BIOS has yet to load when in the Xenium OS, correct?

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

weird.  There must be another bug in ind-bios edit: XeniumOS pertaining to a v1.6 motherboard.

The same happens on a version 1.1

The 10gb works fine and the 2tb with a Startech Sata2Ide will not find the skins folder.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The same happens on a version 1.1

The 10gb works fine and the 2tb with a Startech Sata2Ide will not find the skins folder.

Cheers

SS Dave

Do you have a smaller than 2TB SATA drive (250GB) that can be formatted properly by the xeniumOS which I believe only supports a maximum cluster size of 16KBs - extended partition 6 up to 256GBs.  xeniumOS may support 32KB clusters too, but definitely not 64KB for using it to format the hard drive.  And, xeniumOS can only format F (partition 6), not F and G (partitions 6 and 7).

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Do you have a smaller than 2TB SATA drive (250GB) that can be formatted properly by the xeniumOS which I believe only supports a maximum cluster size of 16KBs - extended partition 6 up to 256GBs.  xeniumOS may support 32KB clusters too, but definitely not 64KB for using it to format the hard drive.  And, xeniumOS can only format F (partition 6), not F and G (partitions 6 and 7).

I tested a 200gb sata drive that was formatted by windows10 and the Xenium would/could not format it at all until I booted a install disk (slayers 2.7) to format it then the Xenium OS could format it and after FTPing the skins folder to E:\XeniumOS directory it was able to see the skins.

The test box is a version 1.6, Internal HDMI, 80 way IDE cable, Startech Sata2Ide,Thompson DVD.

The Open Xenium has a format for F and G as well.

Cheers

SS Dave