OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.0 fan header not working

madmon

2 hours ago, madmon said:

Hey so I have a 1.0 and the main fan header isn't working. Can I just replace the mosfet or is there a greater issue? 

I personally have never had the fan driver fail.

Are you sure the fan is working, you could try plugging it on the GPU fan socket and see if it works as that's straight from the 12 volt supply.

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I personally have never had the fan driver fail.

Are you sure the fan is working, you could try plugging it on the GPU fan socket and see if it works as that's straight from the 12 volt supply.

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yup when I opened the Xbox up the fan was spliced into the GPU fan cable. I figured someone was just doing a 12v mod, after unsoldering it and crimping a new female fan connector I realized the header wasnt working. I even tested the fan out side of the case and tried a different fan, no luck it's definitely the fan header. 

The fan driver is a NPN transistor rated at 1amp.

I would get your multimeter in to action and test the center pin it should have 12 volt (10.9 - 12.2)

Then flip the board and test the the emitter to ground it should read close to 0 ohm (0 - 1 ohm)

The collector should read close to 0 ohm to pin 1 and 3 of the fan connector

The base goes to a 450k ohm resistor on the top of the board between the fan connector and the edge of the PCB

730111463_Xboxfandriver.PNG.fafc3556f22aea2350570eaf2fda4ebc.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The fan driver is a NPN transistor rated at 1amp.

I would get your multimeter in to action and test the center pin it should have 12 volt (10.9 - 12.2)

Then flip the board and test the the emitter to ground it should read close to 0 ohm (0 - 1 ohm)

The collector should read close to 0 ohm to pin 1 and 3 of the fan connector

The base goes to a 450k ohm resistor on the top of the board between the fan connector and the edge of the PCB

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks for this Dave. The old transistor wasn't working and the ground on the fan header had no connection, I jumps a wire to test it and the fan ramped up to full speed. I ended up pulling a transistor from a dead motherboard I have and now the fan speed is locked at 12v, I removed the ground jumper I had.  So there's something else going on just not sure where to start looking, the Xbox reads temps just fine. 

Did you do the tests I posted?

The fan speed is controlled by varying the ground so when the Xbox is off there will be no ground

The pins 1 and 3 on the fan connector will not go directly to ground even at 100% fan speed.

Cheers

SS Dave

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Did you do the tests I posted?

The fan speed is controlled by varying the ground so when the Xbox is off there will be no ground

The pins 1 and 3 on the fan connector will not go directly to ground even at 100% fan speed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Testing the transistor (removed the replacement I put in and putboth the original and one in from another dead 1.0 board) 1&3 pins are 0ohm and pin 2 has 12v going to it. Seems as if I am not getting a signal to pin 1&3.

2 hours ago, madmon said:

Testing the transistor (removed the replacement I put in and putboth the original and one in from another dead 1.0 board) 1&3 pins are 0ohm and pin 2 has 12v going to it. Seems as if I am not getting a signal to pin 1&3.

Is that with the Xbox powered off?

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Is that with the Xbox powered off?

Cheers

SS Dave

Checked the supply voltage while it was on and the neg leads while it was off since I needed the board flipped upside down. Should I be testing while it's live? 

1 hour ago, madmon said:

Checked the supply voltage while it was on and the neg leads while it was off since I needed the board flipped upside down. Should I be testing while it's live? 

No power off the pins 1and 3 should be open circuit with the power off

It sounds like a short some where, can you post a pic of the bottom of the board around the fan connector.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you test across capacitor C3N2

It that reeds 0 ohm then remove it and then test pin1/3 to ground again.

Cheers

SS Dave

Testing across the cap I got no reading. Testing grounds to to ground I get 0.1ohm(ground pad of c3n2). The cap is reading 1.1uf. 

25 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

All the red dots should test 0 ohm to each other and not to ground

IMG_20210115_132925.thumb.jpg.a0b16bada486be8edd825cca8f8ec396.jpg.f48e3eb25a94628a5950f5cd07cf859d.jpg  PXL_20210116_005748384.jpg.1f0cda5f0cc7e0efebf7319a6547c436.jpg

Can you test for 0ohm between all the red dots with the board fully disconnected

Cheers

SS Dave

4-6 = 0.3ohm

1-3 = 0.1ohm

1-2 = 0.0ohm

2-3 = 0.0ohm

3-4 = 0.3ohm

Across cap c3n2 = OL

Edit didn't see the black arrows 

Black arrow to black arrow - 0.0ohm

Edited by madmon

39 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The pin on the transistor between 2 and 3 on the bottom should test 0 ohm to the yellow dot on the top.

PXL_20210116_014435985.jpg.1daf1ec7bf8d68ceec6e0652652c5e65.jpg

And that resistor should test as 100 ohm

Cheers

SS Dave

Yup 100ohms 

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely. Or are we getting close to fixing this. 

1 hour ago, madmon said:

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely

No 

Did you test for 0 ohm from the yellow to the base of the transistor.

Alost what bios is it using? The fan speed is not set to 0 is it?

Other wise you could get a 6 volt reg (7806) and run the fan off that or possibly a 9 volt reg (7809) and run it off the 12 volt for the GPU or HDD supply.

L7809-Pinout.png.124a968cca2f6eda16f5e74681305038.png

That way the fan is not running full speed.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

No 

Did you test for 0 ohm from the yellow to the base of the transistor.

Alost what bios is it using? The fan speed is not set to 0 is it?

Other wise you could get a 6 volt reg (7806) and run the fan off that or possibly a 9 volt reg (7809) and run it off the 12 volt for the GPU or HDD supply.

L7809-Pinout.png.124a968cca2f6eda16f5e74681305038.png

That way the fan is not running full speed.

Cheers

SS Dave

X2 bios, fan isn't set to zero it's set to the standard speed. I did test and get 0 ohm. 

Why isn't it okay to use the 12v and 5v on the molex? Alot of people used to do it on older PCs. Just asking so I know. I was thinking just to wire in a pot and adjust the fan manually. 

3 hours ago, madmon said:

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely

The way I read this is you plan on connecting the red from the fan to the 12 volt  and the black from the fan to the 5 volt to get your 7 volt. If the fan ever shorted out you would be putting 12 volt on the 5 volt supply and that would be BAD. Plus you are going to passably be introducing interference on the 5 volt supply.

By the time you get a variable resistor that can handle the current of the fan under load you might as well just get a voltage regulator.

Cheers

SS Dave

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The way I read this is you plan on connecting the red from the fan to the 12 volt  and the black from the fan to the 5 volt to get your 7 volt. If the fan ever shorted out you would be putting 12 volt on the 5 volt supply and that would be BAD. Plus you are going to passably be introducing interference on the 5 volt supply.

By the time you get a variable resistor that can handle the current of the fan under load you might as well just get a voltage regulator.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you very much for all your help. You really went above and beyond for me. Even though it didn't workout I still appreciate you spending all that time.