OGXbox.com

!! Botched my OpenXenium install !! Help appreciated

Floski

Hi all,

I've recently decided to get back into the Xbox scene again after quite a few years. I'd seen that the OpenXenium modchip was one of the easiest and most up to date chips so I bought one to fit into my 1.6 crystal. I decided on using an LPC board instead of choosing a wired install but I found it really clunky, and was having trouble getting it to boot. I decided, after numerous attempts to get things running, to remove the board and wire up instead.

I have checked the joints and checked the board for spatter, removing what I can as and when I come across it. I'm now sitting without any modchip, checking to see if it works as stock again, only to be greeted with a frag. No matter what I've done from here has been the same result

Could any of you direct me here and let me know of any possible fix. I've taken pictures of the board. Please let me know if you need any more info. I had to upload them to some image uoad site as the files were too large, so here they are as URLs below. Thanks

Images

https://ibb.co/09TyX0J

https://ibb.co/jMRd4LW

Edited by Floski

That a better pic

There is only 2 spots I can see that may be of concern.

In the square it looks like a solder blob and in the circle a possible short from pin 1 to 5.

IMG-20210107-103414.jpg.79e9bcc26fb4e15a1c0db8dc1969f3c7.jpg 

And it's probably nothing on the top.

IMG-20210107-103341.jpg.6b2ff3da0c8de383f921ae4d6148811d.jpg

Is it FRAGing with both drive disconnected?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

That a better pic

There is only 2 spots I can see that may be of concern.

In the square it looks like a solder blob and in the circle a possible short from pin 1 to 5.

IMG-20210107-103414.jpg.79e9bcc26fb4e15a1c0db8dc1969f3c7.jpg 

And it's probably nothing on the top.

IMG-20210107-103341.jpg.6b2ff3da0c8de383f921ae4d6148811d.jpg

Is it FRAGing with both drive disconnected?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi Dave,

So far I've tried each different configuration ie. drive in, drive out, dvd with drive etc. Still fragging.

As for shorts on the pins, I just can't work out where to go from here. Only thing of major concern to me was spatter on a pad which I did my best to remove. Situated either under the GPU or CPU I forget which one circled.

What would you suggest at this stage?

IMG_20210107_145736.jpg

47 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The one point R7P4 didnt look to good to me (which goes somewhere from there to the top side). https://imgur.com/a/T1QapJn

I would check all traces from the LPC for continuity and mybe the ones around the LPC which didn't look so good.

I really don't mean to be a nuisance, but how am I doing that? I have a multi and everything, just never really used the things. Again, thanks for your help

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Here is a beginner tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8YxBMQI5Q

Edit : I had to google "nuisance". And your are not. Asking ppl. can be helped. ;)

Ahh I see, so now I'm familiar with its use, how would I know which points should be connected? I did have a look around, but the tuts we're all for 1.5 or lower .

I would start with the LPC. Connect one lead to the LPC and then search for the next spot the trace goes. If that is fine go one whit the next. When that is done you should search for the one point i have marked on the MB (R7P4) that one mist go somewhere on top. Could be a little bit tricky to find the right spot on the top side so be patient. but if you look carefully you will find the spot and you will find out if the race is ok. Take your time on that. Then just look around if you see something which should be messured because it didn't look as it should. If everthing is ok and all is working (which meens no burned traces ect.) let us now. If you don't find the spot on the top i can take a look tomorrow on the 1.6 i have on the table for the HDMI mod. Just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 3:44 AM, Floski said:

Hi all,

I've recently decided to get back into the Xbox scene again after quite a few years. I'd seen that the OpenXenium modchip was one of the easiest and most up to date chips so I bought one to fit into my 1.6 crystal. I decided on using an LPC board instead of choosing a wired install but I found it really clunky, and was having trouble getting it to boot. I decided, after numerous attempts to get things running, to remove the board and wire up instead.

I have checked the joints and checked the board for spatter, removing what I can as and when I come across it. I'm now sitting without any modchip, checking to see if it works as stock again, only to be greeted with a frag. No matter what I've done from here has been the same result

Could any of you direct me here and let me know of any possible fix. I've taken pictures of the board. Please let me know if you need any more info. I had to upload them to some image uoad site as the files were too large, so here they are as URLs below. Thanks

Images

https://ibb.co/09TyX0J

https://ibb.co/jMRd4LW

try installing the board and psu by themselves. only connect the psu, start button, and tv to the board. plug the console in and hit the power button. u should be greeted by the regular xbox flubber and then it will take a moment for the system to frag. this is a way to find out it the problem is in the board or in one of it's attach components. also, did u replace the 3 caps in front of the heatsinks? did u try to replace the thermal paste(don't if u haven't already)?