OGXbox.com

No Response when I insert DVD?

Frozti

When I insert a game I hear some quiet chirps from the drive then nothing.  No error or change in screen, just the menu. It's as if the drive doesn't detect a disc so maybe my question is does the laser itself detect the presence of a DVD? Or is there a dedicated sensor to repair? It's a Samsung drive.

I didn't think this was related so I'm saving the repair for later but I have to manually eject the drive. It also needs a little nudge to close. 

I tried searching but everyone gets error messages or at least a splash screen. I couldn't find my specific problem.

I'd really like to have a modded console as well as a working original so if I can repair this drive I'd be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, Acidmank said:

Could be a number of issues,   Id open the console and remove the top of the drive and watch what happens when a disk is inserted.

Maybe the belts are slipping?   just a guess

But if the drive closes all the way then shouldn't the DVD still be recognized and the game started?

It could be the drive is not quite closing all the way because the belt the moves the tray is slipping or possibly a dirty laser pickup.

Have you tried a genuine game disk? or is it just burnt disks that don't load?

You could also try cleaning the laser pick lens with a Qtip and isopryonal.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 9 months later...

I have a few Samsungs that exhibit the same behavior.  Disc locks into place, spins up and drive attempts a few reads before giving up.  No errors messages are displayed. Replacing the laser unit did not work for me, but I can't be sure if the replacement units I bought were good. Hopefully, I can find a working Samsung unit to help me diagnose the root cause.

8 hours ago, Daefledar said:

I have a few Samsungs that exhibit the same behavior.  Disc locks into place, spins up and drive attempts a few reads before giving up.  No errors messages are displayed. Replacing the laser unit did not work for me, but I can't be sure if the replacement units I bought were good. Hopefully, I can find a working Samsung unit to help me diagnose the root cause.

I really want to figure out the issue but I don't have the time to toy with it like I used to. There's gotta be an optical drive enthusiast in here I can send it to...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, Lina_Inverse_ said:

Your best bet is to get another drive but I believe you can softmod without the disc drive. I haven't tried this method myself: 

Soft modding using a IDE to USB adapter is very possible and doesn't require anything other than the PC connection and your eeprom.bin. This will show you how. Be sure to watch the updated wider also for use with Rocky5 files  

Edited by MadMartigan

I know this is an old topic, but there’s been a few recent replies.

The Xbox I got last week, which was in pristine boxed condition and immaculate inside and out (still had protective film over the eject and power buttons) ran fine until it froze while running Halo 2’s demo loop for around 30 mins.

When I tried to reload the disc, or any disc, it didn’t spin up. You could hear the lens seeking, but there was no spin up … there were no disc read errors either, it just sat there.

After opening it up and cleaning/replacing the belt, it works like a charm again. My drive is a Phillips model, but the belt definitely done the trick.

53 minutes ago, TheSegaHolic said:

I know this is an old topic, but there’s been a few recent replies.

The Xbox I got last week, which was in pristine boxed condition and immaculate inside and out (still had protective film over the eject and power buttons) ran fine until it froze while running Halo 2’s demo loop for around 30 mins.

When I tried to reload the disc, or any disc, it didn’t spin up. You could hear the lens seeking, but there was no spin up … there were no disc read errors either, it just sat there.

After opening it up and cleaning/replacing the belt, it works like a charm again. My drive is a Phillips model, but the belt definitely done the trick.

Just start a new thread so we can try and keep this one narrowed down to the issue at hand.