OGXbox.com

Struggling with X3 re-install (possible dead chip?)

Supa

I've spent some time kicking around the forums, but appear to be running in circles, so hoping for an assist.

Last month I grounded out the power supply on my 1.1 while doing a 2TB SATA upgrade. The SATA/IDE board touched  the power supply as I was re-assempling the box (I left the power live like a bozo).

I purchased a new power supply to find that the board was dead (non-stop frag). Purchased a previously soft modded 1.0 box, removed and cleaned up the clock cap and was able to boot to UnleashX.

I'm now in day 4 of trying to install my old, previously fully functional, X3CE onto this new board.

• de-soldered d0, LAN, HDD wire no problem
  • de-soldered pin header
  • cleaned up solder in 1.0 header
  • Installed old header back in 1.0
  • Connected everything up
  • LAN/HDD lights on X3CP work great
  • FRAG

I'm running out of ideas. So far I've tried:

• Booting into flasbios via eject/power: FRAG
  • Booting to softmod using power long press: works
  • Re-soldering the pin header thrice
  • using a continuity tester to check each header pin against this post from livefast1989: all but pin 7 check out (i think the point may be wrong)
  • Tried booting into softmod and flashing w/ Hexen: Mfc ID 18 / Flash not writeable
  • Booted xblastOS from softmod: Sees X3 as the chip, wont write to it via HDD or LAN

I have loads of pictures of the install and all errors. Is there something I could be missing? Could I have nuked the chip when I murdered the power supply?

Is there a tool to rebuilt the factory state of the x3CE?

Yu could try this 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wpaq5gccv7f6d76/AACSuSj23bpeueBAV_stzGa6a?dl=0

ftp the file to your Xbox then with the X3 chip fitted and the D0 grounded run this file and it erases the X3 chip,You may then be able to then get to the main config screen and flash a new BIOS.

I would be surprised if it comes good as by the sound of it you sent 200+ volt though the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. I'll give that a go.

I'm vaguely heartened by the fact that the LEDs on the chip all appear to be working right, and the power button logic seems to be operating as expected.

I'm hoping the power surge just wiped the entire thing, but definitely could be toasted. Would be super disappointing if so, but such is life.

11 hours ago, bolofski said:

have you checked the front panel switch positions to make sure you havent accidently moved any?

Yup. No problems there. It's connected to an X3 Control Panel, so the switch positions are super obvious.

I've tried every combination of switches I can think of.

5 hours ago, Supa said:

Yup. No problems there. It's connected to an X3 Control Panel, so the switch positions are super obvious.

I've tried every combination of switches I can think of.

Does the X3 logo backlight color look purple (mixed color of the red and blue lit LEDs) when you press power and eject when trying to boot into FlashBIOS?

What's up with the pin 7 signal?

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does the X3 logo backlight color look purple (mixed color of the red and blue lit LEDs) when you press power and eject when trying to boot into FlashBIOS?

What's up with the pin 7 signal?

No purple, but you were spot on with pin 7. The diagram in the linked post was wrong as far as a test point, but I hunted the right one down via the LPC rebuild thread. It turns out there was a broken trace on the board. Legitimately no idea how that happened given that the board had not been modes before, but here we are.

Successfully back in business. Now I just need to figure out how to to install a x3CP with a 1.0 board. The controller port board is in the absolutely worst spot.

IMG_20210102_200914.jpg

Edited by Supa