OGXbox.com

Trying to upgrade internal HDD but only showing 120gb...

Thakarra

Hey guys, happy new year!

A few months ago I was given an original Crystal Xbox. As someone who has always been on the Sony side of consoles, I admit, I don't know much about Xbox. However I was told that the Xbox was running EvoX (Can be confirmed, when I turn the Xbox on, there is an EvoX icon on the left hand side of the boot screen) and that the Xbox had a modchip inside.

The Xbox has been sitting under my bed for a while and I thought today I would dust it out and upgrade the internal HDD. The IDE hard drive inside the Xbox was only 80GB and I had a spare 250GB IDE hard drive I wasn't using. --

So I went ahead and followed this tutorial: 

Basically I downloaded Hexen 2018 > burned the image to a DVD > put the DVD inside my Xbox > replaced the old IDE HDD with the 250GB one > booted into Hexen 2018 > went into Disk Upgrades > From there I followed the process. 

After the files had copied over from the DVD, XBPartitioner 1.3 booted up and I made sure that I set the F drive to the full 250GB.

From there the process was complete. I took the Hexen 2018 DVD out of my Xbox and the UnleashX dashboard popped up. BUT when I look at the drive details on the upper left corner. I can see that there is only around 120gb free on (F:).

Whenever I try to boot XBPartitioner from the dashboard menu, I get the following error:

"LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS! Update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2."

I done a bit of research and it LOOKS like I need to update my BIOS. But honestly as someone who has no clue what they're doing, this frightens the hell out of me. So that leads me to this post... I'm looking for some help which can preferably be explained in as simple detail as possible, I literally need someone to spoon feed me the steps. I would be so grateful and appreciate it!

EXTRA INFORMATION - If I load into the EvolutionX dashboard I can see the follow details, which might be relevant.

• BIOS: EvoX M8 (1.6)
  • Kernal: 1.00.5838.01
  • EvolutionX V+3935
Edited by Thakarra

I have found more often than not you need to format partition 6 (and 7 if you have it) twice the 1st time go 10 to 20 gb smaller than max and next time go max less 1gb.

What mod chip have you got?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

15 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have found more often than not you need to format partition 6 (and 7 if you have it) twice the 1st time go 10 to 20 gb smaller than max and next time go max less 1gb.

I have tried doing the "Disk Upgrade" from Hexen about 5-6 times now. Still no change.

I can't open XBPartitioner because it throws the error mentioned above.

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What mod chip have you got?

Also I don't know what chips I have, as I mentioned the Xbox was given to me.

Edited by Thakarra

Go here and download this it leaves Hexen for dead

You can also run Xbpartitioner from the DVD

It could also be a old version of the EvoxM8 and only support up to 137gb, The EvoxM8 on this disk will support up to 2.2tb of HDD

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Go here and download this it leaves Hexen for dead

Sorry to sound like an absolute noob (I am hahaha), but which version should I download? PBL or non-PBL?

Also once I've got this up and running.. Am I using it to reinstall everything to my hard drive (like I was doing with Hexen) or am I using it to flash my BIOS?

Just now, SS_Dave said:

I would go the PBL and you could just use the disk to reflash the BIOS and run the Xbpartitioner but I would use it for a complete install.

Okay, I'll try the complete install first because it seems like the most "safe" option.

However when it comes to flashing BIOS, the whole reason I made this post is because I want advice from a community who know what they're doing, I don't want to flash the wrong thing and brick my console. I've been there and done that before, it's a horrible feeling.

Cheers though! I do appreciate you helping me!

2 minutes ago, Thakarra said:

However when it comes to flashing BIOS, the whole reason I made this post is because I want advice from a community who know what they're doing, I don't want to flash the wrong thing and brick my console. I've been there and done that before, it's a horrible feeling.

That's fair enough and it would be better if more people asked for help over jumping in and breaking it. That makes a lot more work to fix it.

If you are not sure on the modchip I would suggest you open the Xbox and take a pic of the main board then post it here plus while it's open clean the dust out of it.

Cheers

SS Dave

I'd bet the original Evox M8 1.6 BIOS is just a default M8 type.

According to the BIOS features tables I have archived neither Evox M8 or M8+ support LBA48 by default, it has to be "reconfigured" using the EVTool. I think a lot people forget that and other useful/wanted features of the EvoxM8+ BIOS need to be enabled by it in the same way too.

Most versions of EvoxM8+ you find on discs etc have been so configured but if this is an old chip install and/or the BIOS version used to flash it likewise then you have the most likely explanation.

If you get a message about LBA48 and it not being supported by the BIOS then you should believe it and not assume all sorts of other things are wrong that need fixing.

Chances are a simple reflash of the BIOS with any recent EvoxM8+ v1.6 BIOS would solve the problem.

But I'm very much with SS_Dave on the importance of correctly identifying the chip type first and confirming the Xbox version too from any pictures that can be provided.