OGXbox.com

Can I reflash mod chip with newer bios?

Karl_M

Hi, I’m new to anything to do with mod chips on the original Xbox so my apologies if I sound like a complete noobie. 

I recently purchased a Xbox of Facebook market place that has a DuoX2 (blue) mod chip installed. When the console boots is has like a green logo in the top left and Slayers 2.7 underneath the Xbox logo at the bottom of the screen (I’ll add a photo to explain what I’m talking about). Then it boots into evolutionX dashboard I believe. 

I’ve dabbled with soft modded Xboxes before and wanted to take a crack at a mod chipped one but I’m worried I’ll brick the console if I just try and re flash bios and install a new dashboard. So long story short, is it possible to update the bios on the mod chip to someone a little more recent like EvoX M8 or something? The Xbox is 1.4 console. I opened it and cleaned the console of dust and re did the thermal paste and fixed the DVD belt prior to wanting to update the dashboard and mod chips Bios.

any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Karl 

5DD80189-B77D-4F2E-8279-F2131C9A7A13.jpeg

144DE898-9093-4A74-9615-041A97B97877.jpeg

C20FF455-215C-4047-BD5D-447C50C6EA20.jpeg

Edited by Karl_M

21 minutes ago, Karl_M said:

is it possible to update the bios on the mod chip to someone a little more recent like EvoX M8 or something?

Sure. The modchip simply holds your BIOS and you can flash a new BIOS onto the chip as you please. You can use apps like EvolutionX or XBlast OS to flash new BIOSes to your chip. I personally prefer XBlast OS, which you can download from this thread: click here.

It's a good idea to ensure the BIOS you're using is right for your needs. You can see a comparison of popular BIOSes here: r/originalxbox FAQ (Reddit). EvoxM8+ is a good bios overall. If you have an upgraded hard drive (larger than 137GB), then it's a good idea to edit EvoxM8+ with EVTool to allow for LBA48 support, which basically makes it so your Xbox knows you have a big hard drive installed. I personally like using iND-BIOS 5004.67 when possible. It has all of the common features people look for, and you can customize it by editing a file on your Xbox's C drive (without re-flashing it whenever you change a BIOS setting).

When flashing a new BIOS, make sure you have a dashboard located at the right path on your Xbox's hard drive. If your old BIOS is configured look for your dashboard at C:\evoxdash.xbe and your new BIOS instead looks at E:\evoxdash.xbe, then it might fail to start up. Many BIOSes are set to look for E:\evoxdash.xbe by default (plus a few other spots). If you mess up along the way, it's usually pretty easy to recover by popping in a disc, like Hexen, and booting to that then using the file browser to figure out what went wrong.

Hopefully that all made sense.

P.s. your DuoX2 modchip has a 512KB chip on it, which means you can flash a BIOS that is up to 512KB in size. Many BIOSes are 256KB, so that's not a problem. You just can't flash a big 1MB BIOS onto it. EvoxM8+ and iND-BIOS are fine and are both 256KB.

Cheers

Edited by GoTeamScotch

10 hours ago, Karl_M said:

Hi, I’m new to anything to do with mod chips on the original Xbox so my apologies if I sound like a complete noobie. 

I recently purchased a Xbox of Facebook market place that has a DuoX2 (blue) mod chip installed. When the console boots is has like a green logo in the top left and Slayers 2.7 underneath the Xbox logo at the bottom of the screen (I’ll add a photo to explain what I’m talking about). Then it boots into evolutionX dashboard I believe. 

I’ve dabbled with soft modded Xboxes before and wanted to take a crack at a mod chipped one but I’m worried I’ll brick the console if I just try and re flash bios and install a new dashboard. So long story short, is it possible to update the bios on the mod chip to someone a little more recent like EvoX M8 or something? The Xbox is 1.4 console. I opened it and cleaned the console of dust and re did the thermal paste and fixed the DVD belt prior to wanting to update the dashboard and mod chips Bios.

any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Karl 

That chip has EvoxM8 on it s well, flick the switch then power it on.

Yes you can flash a new bios to it and if something goes wrong you can still boot of the 2nd bios.

To flash the other bank have the flash program to the last stage then flick the switch and flash away.

I have the same chip for testing with Xblast on one bank and iND5004 on the 2nd bank.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

55 minutes ago, Karl_M said:

Thanks for the information, it really helps :) . I forgot to mention before but do I have to take the fact that my Xbox has a winbond chip into account or is that only apllicable to tsop'd consoles?

That won't make any difference unless you are going to TSOP flash it, But as the chip is fitted I would just leave it there unless you need the chip for a version 1.6 board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

15 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Please make a backup of the BIOS that displays Slayers 2.7 using Evoxdash's backup option.  Download the bios.bin file it creates in the Backup subfolder where evoxdash.xbe is located on your Xbox's hard drive. Post a copy of the file here or to a bit locker site and post the address so I can download it.

Thanks.

I can’t see the option on where to back it up? Where should I be looking for that? Settings has no back up options?

CEE3036E-13DB-4CD3-A9F0-70DF34BEFC5C.jpeg

2A311CE5-6DA8-41C6-B679-117D09B3AC33.jpeg

Edited by Karl_M
Adding pictures/photos

You might need to download, edit then reupload evox.ini to add the menu option for Backup.

Edit: Then reboot or restart evoxdash for the new menu settings to appear.

It may simply be commented out by having a # character at the start of the line.

It's generally found under the System menu in evox.ini. The menu section looks something like the following:

Section "System"
        {
            Item "Settings",ID_Settings
            Item "Backup",ID_Backup
            Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios
#            Item "Lock Harddisk",@210
#            Item "Unlock Harddisk",@211
#            Section "Video Mode Switch"
            {
                Item "USA - NTSC ",@ID_Reg_NA
                Item "Japan - NTSC",@ID_Reg_J
                Item "PAL",@ID_Reg_ROW
            }
        }

47 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

You might need to download, edit then reupload evox.ini to add the menu option for Backup.

Edit: Then reboot or restart evoxdash for the new menu settings to appear.

It may simply be commented out by having a # character at the start of the line.

It's generally found under the System menu in evox.ini. The menu section looks something like the following:

Section "System"
        {
            Item "Settings",ID_Settings
            Item "Backup",ID_Backup
            Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios
#            Item "Lock Harddisk",@210
#            Item "Unlock Harddisk",@211
#            Section "Video Mode Switch"
            {
                Item "USA - NTSC ",@ID_Reg_NA
                Item "Japan - NTSC",@ID_Reg_J
                Item "PAL",@ID_Reg_ROW
            }
        }

I can't see that option in the ini file. See the attached

evox.ini

Add the line:

• Item "Backup",ID_Backup

under the line

• Item "System Settings",ID_Settings

in your evox.ini file.

You'll need to add a line to flash the BIOS as well.  I see a lot of the flashing options are commented out in your evox.ini file.

All you really need is 

• Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios

Create a BIOS folder where evoxdash.xbe is located and upload the BIOS dot bin files into that folder.

24 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Add the line:

• Item "Backup",ID_Backup

under the line

• Item "System Settings",ID_Settings

in your evox.ini file.

You'll need to add a line or two to flash the BIOS as well.  I see a lot of the flashing options are commented out in your evox.ini file.

All you really need is 

• Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios

Create a BIOS folder where evoxdash.xbe is located and upload the BIOS dot bin files into that folder.

I did that and hit backup and nothing happened

I looks that way but a folder named Backup should now be on the hard drive with several files in it.

One of them being the backup of the BIOS named bios.bin.

Edit:  Other files Backup creates:

eeprom.bin - backup of the configuration eeprom's content

disk.bin - backup of the first 1024 sectors of the hard drive - the hidden configuration area where Xbox Live accounts are stored and other MS dashboard settings.

hdd-info.txt - hard drive model, version and key info.

Seems there's another file or two - 6 in total. Forget the name(s) of them. Xbox not accessible right now to see what they are.

2 minutes ago, Karl_M said:

I can't see them on my C drive on filezilla

Close the FTP connection and reconnect to the Xbox.  Filezilla doesn't refresh the directory to see the changes.  You can also go up a level to see all of the drive letter names - C, E, F, G, X, Y, Z - then go back into C for it to refresh the listing.