OGXbox.com

Cant change hdd

Tysonb

Hi guys, first of all merry christmas.

I have a problem with my xbox. Its a 1.6 and when i got him there was a softmod on it. I want to put in a 2tb hdd.

Normally when i plug in the new hdd with hexen it automaticly sees the hdd and i can format it. With this xbox i get an error. So i thought when this doesnt work i will do it with chimp.

And obviously this doesnt work too...when i boot chimp he asks to connect the new hdd as slave..when i do and press A it wont go further.

Ive tried everything..i even tried to delete the softmod and softmod it again with rocky 5 and do the update and try everything again.

Does anyone have an idea? 

Edit:

With the original hdd in it everything works fine, i can play games, i can boot hexen, i can boot rocky5 disc.

Edited by Tysonb

As its softmodded you have the issue of needing to lock the drive, to install the 2tb you will need to link up power to both drives, power up the xbox then swap the dvd data cable (ide cable) to the 2tb drive (set as slave) you can then clone to slave and lock slave using chimp

or as dave will say, hardmod it :)

edit: you would also need to swap out the ide data cable for 80 pin if you are using a sata adapter

Edited by bolofski

In my opinion it's quicker and better to fit a modchip

That way the hard drive can stay unlocked for safety just incase the main board dies the HDD can be used in a different Xbox and it's quicker to load files on it with FATXplorer by connecting the hard dive to your PC (1.8tb in under 24 hours) compared to FTP (1.8tb in 5 to 7 days).

Also once you have the hard drive setup the way you like it you can then clone it in a stand alone HDD cloner in under 4 hours (for a 2tb)for the new hard modded Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

19 minutes ago, bolofski said:

As its softmodded you have the issue of needing to lock the drive, to install the 2tb you will need to link up power to both drives, power up the xbox then swap the dvd data cable (ide cable) to the 2tb drive (set as slave) you can then clone to slave and lock slave using chimp

or as dave will say, hardmod it :)

edit: you would also need to swap out the ide data cable for 80 pin if you are using a sata adapter

Hi, i know that and i did...multiple times. And my chips are on the way but i have them in over a week. I want to put the 2tb hdd in now. I will make fotos so you can see what i mean

Wauw i think i found the problem...i tried it with an ide hdd and now chimp works as it should be...i think my ide/sata adapter failed. I better buy good ones because this alieexpress shit gives me nothing but troubles.

Can you guus give me a link to good ide/sata adapters?

Greetz

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, SS_Dave said:

In my opinion it's quicker and better to fit a modchip

That way the hard drive can stay unlocked for safety just incase the main board dies the HDD can be used in a different Xbox and it's quicker to load files on it with FATXplorer by connecting the hard dive to your PC (1.8tb in under 24 hours) compared to FTP (1.8tb in 5 to 7 days).

Also once you have the hard drive setup the way you like it you can then clone it in a stand alone HDD cloner in under 4 hours (for a 2tb)for the new hard modded Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hay ss dave,

You told me that FATXplorer is better to fill up a 2tb drive.

I've tried different things but i dont understand it .

You have 3 ways of coping your games to the hard drive

1st use the DVD drive, Extremely slow

2nd FTP from you computer this will take upto 5 days

3rd is to connect the hard drive to your computer and use windows file explorer to copy the files, using this method you can copy 1.8tb in under 24 hours

This is where you need FATXplorer to run as a translator between the Xbox hdd(FatX) and the PC(NTFS). FATXplorer is used to mount the Xbox harddrive in to the windows file explorer.

You could also buy a prebuilt hard drive and fit that, but where is the fun in that and there is no satisfaction in not building the drive yourself.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 12/24/2020 at 12:51 PM, Tysonb said:

And obviously this doesnt work too...when i boot chimp he asks to connect the new hdd as slave..when i do and press A it wont go further.

When you say you connect the new hdd as slave, which IDE connector are you connecting it to?

Make sure you connect the new HDD set as SLAVE to the DVD drive's IDE connector, not the Xbox hard drive.  The original hard drive still has to be connected.