OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.0 FRAGing even after modchip install

tjd2

So i have got an xbox revision 1.0 for parts. Inside the motherboard was pretty much immaculate with non-leaked clock cap. Sadly the xbox just FRAGged. I did lots of troubleshooting including dumping the eeprom with raspberry pi, testing it with different psu or trying the TSOP bank split trick for coma console.

I thought, that the TSOP must be faulty so i ordered aladdin xt. However the holes on 1.0 are filled with solder and hard to clean up. In the end, i soldered each leg of the pinheader individually. It looks ugly, but there are at least pretty wet solder joints and modchips do fit in it. Sadly it still frags.

20201221_200832.jpg

20201221_200911.jpg

I have:

1. Grounded the bottom d0 point

2. Grounded BT on the aladdin

3. Tested the aladdin in my 1.6 and then reflashing it with indbios

4.  Replaced a R7D4 resistor i accidentally desoldered

I also remember, there was possibly a short at Q7R1 part. I fixed it, but two pins next to each other are still shorted according to multimeter. The two pins are those closest to the Q in the Q7R1 marking (left down side on the bottom side picture)

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Where's the modchip?  I don't see it connected to the LPC Debug port.

Double check all of the soldering to the pins installed in the LPC Debug port header location.

The modchip is a normal aladdin xt clone from ebay, that worked normally in my 1.6. I even tried flashing indbios into it. I have checked the soldering and i can say there is definitely good continuity. Only non-clean thing there is the flux residue. I'll check again if i haven't burnt the trace at the point, where it connects to the via tho.

EDIT: Fuck the 1.0's filled holes. I can upgrade RAM, but i can't solder pinheader to 1.0 xbox :D

Next time i'll install it probably with wires or something

Edited by tjd2

13 hours ago, tjd2 said:

The modchip is a normal aladdin xt clone from ebay, that worked normally in my 1.6. I even tried flashing indbios into it. I have checked the soldering and i can say there is definitely good continuity. Only non-clean thing there is the flux residue. I'll check again if i haven't burnt the trace at the point, where it connects to the via tho.

EDIT: Fuck the 1.0's filled holes. I can upgrade RAM, but i can't solder pinheader to 1.0 xbox :D

Next time i'll install it probably with wires or something

Use a solder removal tool (solder sucker) or solder braid to remove the solder from the holes so you can install the pin header.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

I don't suggest using the quick solder installation method for any modchip.  Quick and easy to install - a pain in the @ss to take off later. :)

Never removed one. But I also never have soldered one my self that way. How ever, it was just a suggestion (maybe not the best but better as wires - I think).

Some solder braidand, flux and a "hot" iron are ofc the best way to do it. In case it will not work, I do it some times with a cannula of a syringe, that works pretty well.

I might have been using maybe a shitty chinese soldering tip with bad heat transfer, but i don't really know. Anyway the problem is not anymore with the pinheader install, but with the fact, that it still frags even after installing the modchip

Edited by tjd2

On 12/22/2020 at 10:10 PM, tjd2 said:

So i have got an xbox revision 1.0 for parts. Inside the motherboard was pretty much immaculate with non-leaked clock cap. Sadly the xbox just FRAGged. I did lots of troubleshooting including dumping the eeprom with raspberry pi, testing it with different psu or trying the TSOP bank split trick for coma console.

Is it Red/Green flash or some other colors like Red/Orange or Green/Orange or possibly Green then Red flashing.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

19 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Is it Red/Green flash or some other colors like Red/Orange or Green/Orange or possibly Green then Red flashing.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

It always reboots three times and on the third reboot it flashes red and green

On 12/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, KaosEngineer said:

FRAG'ing with a modchip installed is generally a bad connection from the modchip to the LPC debug port.

If you disconnect the D0 ground connection, does it boot the stock BIOS or FRAG as well?

the xbox did not work before in the first place. i thought it was tsop corruption

Edited by tjd2

If it was already FRAG'ing before the modchip install, it's hard to say what the problem is.

Do you know what version the console is?  Edit: Went back to look - v1.0

I believe the most common cause of fragging is a dead hard drive.

Is there a number displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the Your console needs service screen?

Edit: A v1.0 will not show the number to aid in determining the cause of the frag.

However with a modchip installed, the modified BIOS should have an error number displayed on its error screen.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, KaosEngineer said:

If it was already FRAG'ing before the modchip install, it's hard to say what the problem is.

Do you know what version the console is?  Edit: Went back to look - v1.0

I believe the most common cause of fragging is a dead hard drive.

Is there a number displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the Your console needs service screen?

Edit: A v1.0 will not show the number to aid in determining the cause of the frag.

However with a modchip installed, the modified BIOS should have an error number displayed on its error screen.

The xbox does the Triple-reboot frag. nothing ever gets displayed on screen and xbox just reboots. EEPROM dump was fine when i tried dumping it

Some major component checked at startup has failed: CPU, GPU, hard drive, or DVD drive. Most likely the hard drive has died or a cable is not connected well.  Disconnect all of the cables from the DVD drive and hard drive and the IDE cable at the motherboard.  Reconnect them all, power on and see if anything has changed.  

Edit: Measure the voltage levels present on the hard drive's Molex power connector:

• Yellow = +12Vdc
  • Red = 5Vdc
  • Black = ground reference (0Vdc)

On 12/31/2020 at 1:06 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Some major component checked at startup has failed: CPU, GPU, hard drive, or DVD drive. Most likely the hard drive has died or a cable is not connected well.  Disconnect all of the cables from the DVD drive and hard drive and the IDE cable at the motherboard.  Reconnect them all, power on and see if anything has changed.  

Edit: Measure the voltage levels present on the hard drive's Molex power connector:

• Yellow = +12Vdc
  • Red = 5Vdc
  • Black = ground reference (0Vdc)

I am testing this xbox w/o hdd and dvd drive connected. PSU voltages are well and i tried it already with different psu. Sadly it seems, that this xbox is not going to be easy fix. i am envious of people, who have "bricked" xboxes, that are just non-ejecting dvd drive, fucked softmod, faulty hdd or bricked tsop

2 hours ago, tjd2 said:

I am testing this xbox w/o hdd and dvd drive connected. PSU voltages are well and i tried it already with different psu. Sadly it seems, that this xbox is not going to be easy fix. i am envious of people, who have "bricked" xboxes, that are just non-ejecting dvd drive, fucked softmod, faulty hdd or bricked tsop

The Xbox will FRAG (Flash Red and Green) without the DVD and HDD connected.  The BIOS checks that all components are responding and if not displays the error screen.  V1.0 consoles with the 3944 version of the BIOS/kernel do not show a number in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to assist in determining the cause of the problem. Later versions of the Xbox BIOS do which helps immensely in determining the cause of a FRAG.

17 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Xbox will FRAG (Flash Red and Green) without the DVD and HDD connected.  The BIOS checks that all components are responding and if not displays the error screen.  V1.0 consoles with the 3944 version of the BIOS/kernel do not show a number in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to assist in determining the cause of the problem. Later versions of the Xbox BIOS do which helps immensely in determining the cause of a FRAG.

It is still fraging  with a modchip. I think this one is a lost cause.

Cheers

SS Dave

I just want you to know that I am basically working on the same thing you are. I posted my first ever XBOX forum question last night (or 5 AM this morning however you want to look at it) since I started modding last year. Then I found this thread which begins to answer some of my initial questions about general diagnosis. For example I was not happy with my LPC header soldering at all for the same reasons you had removing the pre-loaded solder that exists on the 1.0s. There is a YouTube of a guy just doing it like it's nothing but at my pace it was going to take me a week with either soldering wick or my solder sucker. At least with my heatgun it was over. 

The statement below was kind of confirming yet my XBOX doesn't boot without the modchip too so it's less obvious what the problem is.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:59 AM, KaosEngineer said:

FRAG'ing with a modchip installed is generally a bad connection from the modchip to the LPC debug port.

If you disconnect the D0 ground connection, does it boot the stock BIOS or FRAG as well?

Edited by calebTree