OGXbox.com

Free 1.6 needs a repair

hastings298

I was given a 1.6 for free, soft modded it no problem - tried to put a shortcut in C to tell it to boot into XBMC4Gamers which I had installed in E: and something went wrong. Wouldn't boot into XBMC or the dashboard any more. No problem I think, I'll connected to FATXplorer on my PC. No dice - the drive is locked.

So I boot up the xbox and try to hotswap it to a IDE/USB adapter to try and fix the bad dashboard, manage to get xboxhdm23usb to detect it, but it still said it was locked.

Assumed i hadn't been quick enough with the hotswap.

Try again and end up damaging one of the HDD pins (thank you whoever made this shitty adapter for putting it in a plastic housing and making it impossible to insert drives quickly).

So now the xbox won't boot, the drive is locked, as well as damaged.

Easier to just harvest it for spares now? It's a shame as it's a really clean 1.6 (that was the other thing, the next step would've been to TSOP it and boot into Hexen, but I haven't got a chip lying around and wouldn't trust my soldering skills anyway).

Any thoughts on fixing this?

P.S I tried to use Halo 2 to update the dashboard and fix it but it was already on the latest dashboard so it didn't work.

3 hours ago, hastings298 said:

I was given a 1.6 for free, soft modded it no problem - tried to put a shortcut in C to tell it to boot into XBMC4Gamers which I had installed in E: and something went wrong. Wouldn't boot into XBMC or the dashboard any more. No problem I think, I'll connected to FATXplorer on my PC. No dice - the drive is locked.

So I boot up the xbox and try to hotswap it to a IDE/USB adapter to try and fix the bad dashboard, manage to get xboxhdm23usb to detect it, but it still said it was locked.

Assumed i hadn't been quick enough with the hotswap.

Try again and end up damaging one of the HDD pins (thank you whoever made this shitty adapter for putting it in a plastic housing and making it impossible to insert drives quickly).

So now the xbox won't boot, the drive is locked, as well as damaged.

Easier to just harvest it for spares now? It's a shame as it's a really clean 1.6 (that was the other thing, the next step would've been to TSOP it and boot into Hexen, but I haven't got a chip lying around and wouldn't trust my soldering skills anyway).

Any thoughts on fixing this?

P.S I tried to use Halo 2 to update the dashboard and fix it but it was already on the latest dashboard so it didn't work.

put a mod chip in it. that is probably the easiest way to solve your problem. hard modding a 1.6 is a little more involved than all the others but very doable. what brand dvd drive does it have?

• Thanks 1

You should have tried loading splinter cell or one of the other 3 games that are used to soft mod as the soft mod hack game save files are probably still still there, and you could redo the soft mod.

If it was here I would just fit a modchip and be done with the soft mod and locked hard drives, Now you have nothing to lose by trying to fit a modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, hastings298 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Thing is though, aren't they paired to the board? Can you just swap DVD drives out as you like? It would be nice to have a spare Hitachi drive I could use in other xboxes

It's only the Hard drive that is locked to the board, The DVD drives are unlocked and will work in any version.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hastings298 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Thing is though, aren't they paired to the board? Can you just swap DVD drives out as you like? It would be nice to have a spare Hitachi drive I could use in other xboxes

dave is correct, the dvd isn't locked to the xbox. and i have seen several of that brand xbox dvd drive sell for $100 on ebay. that's how beloved they are. so hang on to it for dear life.

Are you able to ftp into it? i once screwed up files in my dashboard and it wouldn't boot the dash, but it loaded the ftp server.

So i ftp into the xbox using filezilla ftp client on my pc and corrected the files. (transferred over a working dashboard).

In your case it may be as simple as deleting the shortcut you created that started the whole mess.

Any chance you nulled the harddrive key before it messed up? if so its possible to use something like Xboxhdm on a pc to unlock it.

Also I'm not sure why you tried to install a shortcut on your c drive, all my dashboards are installed and boot fine from the E: partition.

Edited by bez84
added information.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:42 AM, bez84 said:

Are you able to ftp into it? i once screwed up files in my dashboard and it wouldn't boot the dash, but it loaded the ftp server.

So i ftp into the xbox using filezilla ftp client on my pc and corrected the files. (transferred over a working dashboard).

In your case it may be as simple as deleting the shortcut you created that started the whole mess.

Any chance you nulled the harddrive key before it messed up? if so its possible to use something like Xboxhdm on a pc to unlock it.

Also I'm not sure why you tried to install a shortcut on your c drive, all my dashboards are installed and boot fine from the E: partition.

how did u load the ftp server without loading the dash?

• 3 weeks later...

I powered on the xbox and the dash wouldnt load.. it just showed a error but it said it loaded the ftp server and continued to repeat the error down the screen.

I left it on and turned on my pc and used filezilla to ftp into the xbox..Deleted the dashboard off my E: Drive and ftp over my backup from my pc.

So i assume the ftp server is located somewhere else and not in the dashboard folder.

I was using rocky5 softmod and xbmc4gamers dash.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, SS_Dave said:

You should have tried loading splinter cell or one of the other 3 games that are used to soft mod as the soft mod hack game save files are probably still still there, and you could redo the soft mod.

If it was here I would just fit a modchip and be done with the soft mod and locked hard drives, Now you have nothing to lose by trying to fit a modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

To SS Dave and all:

I finally got round to having a go fixing it after messing up the dashboard when updating xbmc4gamers

1. Replaced the damaged HDD pins by swapping the PCB from another old xbox I had lyring around

2. Installed the HDD: Error 16 (I think it was, not sure, whichever error code it is that says it can't set the time because there's no dashboard?)

3. Got another xbox, launched Rock's Softmod Tools off a disc, attached the new xbox to the IDE of the still-powered hard drive from the borked xbox.

4. Re-ran the full softmod process from start to finish.

The nice 1.6 with a HITACHI DVD drive is now back in nearly full working order.

I say full: It works perfectly, only that I messed something up when playing around in CHIMP - F and G partitions aren't available for some reason. Not a big deal as it's only a stock 10gb drive or so.

Would like to fix the partitions without breaking my xbox for the 2nd time: Anyone know the best way to do this?

P.S Thanks for being such a good community, I would never have figured out any of this without so much help.

53 minutes ago, hastings298 said:

Here's a picture

Screenshot 2021-03-05 101824.jpg

That looks like a 8gb hard drive, and that's about all you get you could make partition 6 and 7 1gb each.

Cheers

SS Dave

Sorry! I thought it was supposed to be bigger than that :) every drive i've looked at before had F and G, but I guess this is a stock softmodded drive so it won't have F and G. I have nulled the EEPROM using the Softmod Tools NKpatcher tool so hopefully I'll be able to clone it to a larger disc, whereupon I will be able to have F and G again (and the extra space). Is the best way to do this still by cloning with chimp and using a y-splitter or second xbox?

20 minutes ago, hastings298 said:

Sorry! I thought it was supposed to be bigger than that :) every drive i've looked at before had F and G, but I guess this is a stock softmodded drive so it won't have F and G. I have nulled the EEPROM using the Softmod Tools NKpatcher tool so hopefully I'll be able to clone it to a larger disc, whereupon I will be able to have F and G again (and the extra space). Is the best way to do this still by cloning with chimp and using a y-splitter or second xbox?

In my view the best way is to fit  modchip and use the OGXbox installer disk to setup the 1tb, 2tb or 3tb hard drive, you can then leave the HDD unlocked.

But failing that use chimp to clone C and E partitions then use Xbpartitioner to setup F and G drives.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hastings298 said:

If you've NULL'd the HDDKey then you can unlock and re-lock the hard drive with XboxHDM23 Beta 4 and this eeprom.bin.

wait...

Did you NULL the HDDKey or set it to all 1's as the latest Xbox Softmodding Tool now does to be compatible with Insignia when it is finally made available?

eeprom.bin will be provided for locking and unlocking a NULL'ed or all 1'd configuration EEPROM HDDKey modded Xbox's  hard drive after my question is answered.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

If you've NULL'd the HDDKey then you can unlock and re-lock the hard drive with XboxHDM23 Beta 4 and this eeprom.bin.

wait...

Did you NULL the HDDKey or set it to all 1's as the latest Xbox Softmodding Tool now does to be compatible with Insignia when it is finally made available?

eeprom.bin will be provided for locking and unlocking a NULL'ed or all 1'd configuration EEPROM HDDKey modded Xbox's  hard drive after my question is answered.

Freshly backed up my eeprom with nkpatcher and this is what the Xbox info txt says:

IMG_20210306_015300.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hastings298 said:

Can i ask why I need that eeprom.bin file?

Only because it has the hard drive key needed to unlock the HDD

Once I have mod chipped or TSOP flashed a Xbox the 1st thing I do is unlock the hard drive then that drive will work in any hard modded Xbox or you can connect it to a PC and read it with FatXplorer.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, hastings298 said:

Freshly backed up my eeprom with nkpatcher and this is what the Xbox info txt says:

IMG_20210306_015300.jpg

I see you've all 1'd the HDDKey as the latest Xbox Softmodding Tool does to be compatible with Insignia when it is made available to users.  Not sure how to say the operation similar to NULLed (all 0's) when the value is set to all 1's.

Not exactly what I call all 1'd or thought was meant by that statement.

NULLed sets all bits of the HDDKey to 0 and I thought all 1'd set all of the bits to 1 - 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, not 0x11111111111111111111111111111111.

• F in hexadecimal = 1111 in binary
  • 1 in hexadecimal = 0001 in binary

• Like 1