OGXbox.com

working on a Xecuter 3 / X3CP xbox

bolofski

Hi, managed to get my hands on an X3 / X3CP xbox console, just playing around with it at the moment but needing a bit of advice for my next steps.  ive put a 160gb ide in and used AID to format and install a dash (unleashx for now), ive also used the white button on boot to bring up the x3 config live and have a little mess with the settings.

(a) firstly its installed on a 1.0 board with fan on GPU, im not a big fan of that board so was thinking of uninstalling and re-installing on a 1.4, worth the hassle?

(b) the faraday cage is rusty so need to take it all apart anyway however the chip is sticky-padded onto the cage, best way to remove? possibly sharp knife down the back of it? also the front control panel will need removing to get to the cage, do they clip on / off as easy as the original? ive noticed some original faceplates are more brittle than others, the last thing i want to do is crack it trying to remove it!

(c) the lcd display, all ive managed to get out of it so far is 2 lines of text, ive seen people running temperature displays etc, how is this done?, does this depend on the dash / xml files associated with the lcd?

(d) I have a 500gb xbox running a nice build of xbmc4gamers but console is soft modded so what dashboard files need to change for the dash to boot on a hard modded console, ie the EVOXDASH.XBE etc

1.JPG

1b.JPG

2 hours ago, bolofski said:

its installed on a 1.0 board with fan on GPU, im not a big fan of that board so was thinking of uninstalling and re-installing on a 1.4, worth the hassle?

If you have the spare motherboard to swap-in and have a preference, then sure. Go for it. If it were me, I would probably just leave the 1.0. If your fan GPU fan is noisy, then that might be a good enough reason to swap boards. You would of course need to make sure your HDD is either unlocked or locked using the correct password when switching motherboards.

the chip is sticky-padded onto the cage, best way to remove?

A knife could work, but it might be better to use something plastic instead. Perhaps a guitar pick or something like a credit card or old gift card. That way you don't risk scratching and damaging something important.

the lcd display, all ive managed to get out of it so far is 2 lines of text, ive seen people running temperature displays etc, how is this done?

Correct, the application that is running affects what info you see on the LCD screen. The X3 chip will usually push out a message to the LCD during startup that stays there until something else comes along to replace it. So, XBMC, for example, has LCD screen support and will push messages to the LCD screen through the LPC (X3 modchip), such as temperatures and other info. In XBMC, you would go to Settings > System > LCD Display and enable the option. Other apps also push messages to the LCD too. You can customize what the LCD shows by editing the file "XBMC\UserData\LCD.xml". Details here: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserData/LCD.xml

I have a 500gb xbox running a nice build of xbmc4gamers but console is soft modded so what dashboard files need to change for the dash to boot on a hard modded console, ie the EVOXDASH.XBE etc

If memory serves, it's going to look for E:\evoxdash.xbe by default, but you can change where it looks by going into the X3 Config Live menu. While powering on the Xbox, hold the white button on your Xbox controller. You should then be greeted by the X3 Config Live menu. From there, you can configure it to boot to whatever dashboard you want.

There's a guide for using the config live menu somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps others can chime in and give more specific instructions on using the config live menu.

P.s. Instead of changing your boot path settings, you could just make a shortcut XBE. In other words, you could use the PC app XBEShortcutMaker, that will give you an XBE file that you could put on your Xbox's hard drive (E:\evoxdash.xbe) and that shortcut just points to wherever your preferred dashboard actually is on your hard drive. Rocky5 also has an app called Dashloader that works in a similar way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bolofski said:

(a) firstly its installed on a 1.0 board with fan on GPU, im not a big fan of that board so was thinking of uninstalling and re-installing on a 1.4, worth the hassle?

You could use a GPU heatsink from a version 1.1 - 1.6 and do away with the fan or you can 3D print a bracket to hold a new fan on the 1.0 heatsink.

1479524281_GPUfan.PNG.9397555a837ed9d90f0234f917b7eef6.PNG

have a look on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4327543

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

bad news for me :( i got it all working with xbmc4gamers, enabled the lcd and everything was running great.... so i started to strip it down to change the rusty cage, and when trying to remove the front i have somehow managed to bugger the lcd up, i was really careful and even prized it off from the opposite side to the lcd, now theres a bleed of some sort and the display is hardly readable, it was perfect before i messed with it, i am absolutely gutted :( its just lying here in bits now and i cant even be arsed to put it back together, RIP my sweet X3CP xbox...

5.JPG

• Sad 1

SHE LIVES!!!!

It turns out the LCD wasnt broke, the previous owner has spilled a drink or something, i just didnt notice when I first tried it as the lcd worked (plus it didnt help i had accidentally turned the wheel down on the chip when i was removing it from the rusty cage!),  Ive learned a lot about these little lcds in the last couple of days, i stripped the lcd down, alcohol cleaned the board/lcd contacts/rubbers/backlight and put it all back together and the display is bright and clear.  the whole console has been stripped and cleaned, i changed the cage and top from a nice condition xbox, i stuck with the 1.0 board as the gpu fan is fine and im just glad that shes up and running now.  I paid £65 including shipping from a guy on ebay who said it was his grandsons and he didnt know anything about it, im beginning to doubt his story but not to worry the spillage is all sorted and everything is running great, also xbmc4gamers works a treat with the lcd :)  

One thing, the only bank selection combo which works is if i depress 1 AND 2, 1 on its own brings up a basic blue 'Xecuter' screen with options to lock / unlock the hard drive, 2 on its own does the same, 3 and 4 on their own don't work at all, but im leaving well alone, im not going to start messing with BIOS flashing :/ 

7.JPG

8.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, henryperu77 said:

I have x3ce modchip with all wires and a with x3CP i want to sell it, how much do you think i can sell it on Ebay??

No xbox included

1567838913_WhatsAppImage2021-01-10at7_41_37PM.thumb.jpeg.88546262883b79036e64b8fcebacb9ca.jpeg

PM sent

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.