OGXbox.com

DVD drive not working advice

AtariSoul

Hello Friends

I got my 1.6 Crystal modded with XE2.6 chip down from the loft.

It still worked loading the games off the HD! 

However, it wouldn't eject, so I took it apart and replaced the rubber belt and that fixed it.

Next the drive wouldn't read clean original discs, so I cleaned all the dust away, cleaned the runner rods and replaced the grease with a metal / plastic lubricant, but no luck.

So I tested the POT resistance which was 1.35k ohms. I carefully adjusted it slowly by 0.1k ohms steps. When I got to about 0.9k ohms the XBOX would just turn on for a second and turn off, then on and off and now flashing red lights on the eject button.

I opened up the DVD case and as expected, the laser isn't working.

So I presume the laser has died and because of this the XBOX won't boot?

I plan to swap my working DVD drive to prove its the DVD thats died and thats why it won't boot. 

But I thought modded BIOS's removed the dependancy of must having a DVD drive?  If I remember I flashed the X5035 BIOS many years ago.

Does this mean this BIOS does have the DVD drive dependancy and I need to upgrde the BIOS to a later version?

Once I test this XBOX with my working DVD drive, should I use @sweetdarkdestiny's OGXBox Installer 2021 to upgrade the BIOS? If so, what one should I use?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance

Edited by AtariSoul

I would use an EvoX m8 noDVD v1.6 for the box but that's a question of taste. ;)

How ever, take a look at this topic here and bridge Pin 4 & 7. That tell's the XBox that the DVD drive is OK but empty. The Box should boot.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4547-xbox-slim-mod-boot-problem/&tab=comments#comment-29145

On 12/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, SS_Dave said:

Like this

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpgIMG_20200610_210131.thumb.jpg.42f0b12a05f81e47d879a723712a213e.jpg

This tells the main board the DVD tray is closed and has no disk. I also stops the led flashing even if you press the eject button/

You need to use a No DVD BIOS as well.

Also check the HDD it set to master.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I would use an EvoX m8 noDVD v1.6 for the box but that's a question of taste. ;)

How ever, take a look at this topic here and bridge Pin 4 & 7. That tell's the XBox that the DVD drive is OK but empty. The Box should boot.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4547-xbox-slim-mod-boot-problem/&tab=comments#comment-29145

Hello @sweetdarkdestiny

A pleasure to talk to you :)

I didn't know that bridging to fool the xbox was possible!

However, I've opened up my other (softmodded) XBOX which is a 1.6 and put the Hitachi in my Crystal 1.6 and it boots fine.

This is a great opportunity to use your "all singing all dancing" (as we say in the UK) install disc. I will use the BIOS you recommend.

BTW, I noticed that you said to delete those 2 fonts in your thread for v1.0.6, but when you go to  the link there's v1.0.7 have you fixed it in this version?

All the best and thanks for your help

• Like 1

I uploaded the version 1.1.2 today (Still not postet the update in my topic).  The downloads can be found here in the update folder: https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

The links are hotlinks and will start immediately, you just have to choose if you prefere a DHCP or Static IP version of the installer. It took a bit longer as usual but this time it should be (I'm scared to say it) bug free (almost I hope). ;)

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I uploaded the version 1.1.2 today (Still not postet the update in my topic).  The downloads can be found here in the update folder: https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

The links are hotlinks and will start immediately, you just have to choose if you prefere a DHCP or Static IP version of the installer. It took a bit longer as usual but this time it should be (I'm scared to say it) bug free (almost I hope). ;)

Thanks mate I will check it out, stay safe :) 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, AtariSoul said:

Thanks mate I will check it out, stay safe :) 

@sweetdarkdestiny How are you? I checked out your share and it was 1.1.5 yesterday so downloaded it to burn, then this morning I thought I'd check, just in case, and its 1.1.6! You spoke too soon LOL! Thanks for the rapid releases, are they just minor bug fixes or adding more features? I have only just realised I only have 3 blank DVDs left on my spindle as the ones below are CDs LOL!   Hence why I ask.

Thanks and stay safe

Merry Christmas :)  

Edited by AtariSoul

Hey,

the difference between 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 is switch dash (6.2) , which let's you change your dashboard. So if you don't plan to use it (or just once and reboot before you switch again), you're fine.

It was a little bit "buggy". So, you can switch your dash with the 1.1.5 one time but if you change your mind without a reboot you will get an error when switching again. I think that's a cache problem of the XBox or Unleash (not to sure here) but, that is fiexed now and you can change your dashboard now as many times you like without a reboot in between. And it also dosn't matter anymore what bios (CEE/EEC) you use, it will now work for all bioses.

At the end this is for some just a minor fix because they don't use this function at all, for others a huge deal because they switch there dashboard 3 times a day. So, it depends on who you ask I think. ;)  Bottom line, it's fixed.

And as long as you don't see a post of me in the topic is probably just a minor bug fix release. :)

Merry christmas to you too.