OGXbox.com

Getting a dashboard on a v1.0 TSOP flashed Xbox

benis

I've been struggling recently with getting a dashboard on my recently flashed Xbox, and I'm not very sure where to go. I softmodded it with Rocky5 first, then I flashed it with iND-BiOS with no issues, but since it can't find any dashboard, it just goes black after the startup animation. I tried using two different burned copies of Hexen 2018; one either isn't recognized or flashes red-orange-green, and the other isn't recognized at all. Both discs were burned at 4x with PowerISO on Verbatim DVD-Rs, and the drive was able to boot a burned copy of Outrun 2006 and can play retail games, albeit with some difficulty. I was planning on installing a 1TB SATA HDD, and the only option I can think of is putting a dash on it via XboxHDMUSB and then putting it in, but I can't find any guides for this specific method and I don't have enough experience to really know what I'm doing when it comes to building HDDs. What can I do in this situation?

Softmods and TSOP flash do not play nice with each other.

You can load a installation disk(OGXbox installer, Hexen, Slayers, Aid) and remove the softmod and it will then load to a dashboard

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

19 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Softmods and TSOP flash do not play nice with each other.

You can load a installation disk(OGXbox installer, Hexen, Slayers, Aid) and remove the softmod and it will then load to a dashboard

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The only issue is that the disk won't boot on any number of attempts. Would making a fresh HDD with XboxHDM work? I don't need any of the files on the stock HDD, but I'm not sure how to prepare a HDD in XboxHDM with a dashboard pre-installed.

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you FTP to the Xbox?

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

As far as I know, no. After the splash screen, there is only a black screen, so nothing is really accessible.

Again, if needed, I could just make an entirely new HDD without a proper dashboard on it, but I'm just not sure of what the file paths would look like for that. I have the clean C and E drive files, but I'm not too sure about how to get the files and the dash put together in XboxHDM (the USB version, that is)

3 hours ago, benis said:

As far as I know, no. After the splash screen, there is only a black screen, so nothing is really accessible.

Again, if needed, I could just make an entirely new HDD without a proper dashboard on it, but I'm just not sure of what the file paths would look like for that. I have the clean C and E drive files, but I'm not too sure about how to get the files and the dash put together in XboxHDM (the USB version, that is)

I could not get XboxHDM working but if you can at least get C and E drives formatted and files on them it would be enough to boot the Xbox. 

What happens when you try a install disk? and most of the install disks take around 60 seconds to load.

When you burned  DVD did you use a good brand of DVD-r blank?

Cheers

SS Dave

This sort of problem is the main reason I always recommend using a second HDD rather than the original when you're doing almost anything on the Xbox. If you had the original retail HDD available, softmodded then fixing this would be easy.

But unless you can get an installer disc or installer dash working it is going to be difficult.

Are the softmod game saves still on the HDD? Cold booting the original game disc, which should work unless the DVD drive has serious issues, would allow you FTP access. You could also likely fix the problem just using the installer dash file manager.

The problem is that IND-Bios is set up to look for a main dash XBE on C:\, very likely C:\evoxdash.xbe which is what most BIOS look for by default. But with what is essentially still a softmod that is not there. Also the C:\xboxdash.xbe which it would also likely try to to boot as a last resort is, with a softmod, retasked so it does not boot even to the MS dash.

What you [b]probably[/b] need to do is get a working "evoxdash.xbe" onto C:\.

The easiest way of doing that is, if you can get an installer disc working, is simply copy your softmod main dash, typically E:\evoxdash.xbe, to C:\. But it does depended on the original softmod and what main dash was being used. If you used Rocky5's XBSMT or a XBMC (or variant) main dash it could be set up very differently and much of the above would not be applicable. 

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I could not get XboxHDM working but if you can at least get C and E drives formatted and files on them it would be enough to boot the Xbox. 

What happens when you try a install disk? and most of the install disks take around 60 seconds to load.

When you burned  DVD did you use a good brand of DVD-r blank?

Cheers

SS Dave

I made two separate burns of Hexen 2018: the first one either gave a solid green LED and booted to a black screen or flashed red-orange-green on the LED, while the other burn only gave the solid green LED. I believe the brand of the disc is okay; I used Verbatim DVD-Rs, the same I've used for other working burns of games. I suppose I could try taking the clean C and E files and putting them in the HDM folder, as well as a dashboard, and seeing if iND-BiOS will recognize it.

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

This sort of problem is the main reason I always recommend using a second HDD rather than the original when you're doing almost anything on the Xbox. If you had the original retail HDD available, softmodded then fixing this would be easy.

But unless you can get an installer disc or installer dash working it is going to be difficult.

Are the softmod game saves still on the HDD? Cold booting the original game disc, which should work unless the DVD drive has serious issues, would allow you FTP access. You could also likely fix the problem just using the installer dash file manager.

The problem is that IND-Bios is set up to look for a main dash XBE on C:\, very likely C:\evoxdash.xbe which is what most BIOS look for by default. But with what is essentially still a softmod that is not there. Also the C:\xboxdash.xbe which it would also likely try to to boot as a last resort is, with a softmod, retasked so it does not boot even to the MS dash.

What you [b]probably[/b] need to do is get a working "evoxdash.xbe" onto C:\.

The easiest way of doing that is, if you can get an installer disc working, is simply copy your softmod main dash, typically E:\evoxdash.xbe, to C:\. But it does depended on the original softmod and what main dash was being used. If you used Rocky5's XBSMT or a XBMC (or variant) main dash it could be set up very differently and much of the above would not be applicable. 

I do have the original retail HDD available. It's currently in the Xbox with all of the softmodded files on it. It was set up using XBSMT, so I'm not entirely sure where to go with that. Also, by the "original game disc," do you mean the disc I used for softmodding through game save exploit? My copy of Splinter Cell did run on every attempt that I booted it on, so it should be fine.

Try using IMGBURN to burn your copy, if you know someone that has an Xbox swap the DVD Drive to  just get you going than swap it back. Some of these old Thompson Drives that are in the 1.0 Xboxs are very picky of Media Types. Also try different book type in the settings of IMGBURN

3 hours ago, benis said:

I made two separate burns of Hexen 2018: the first one either gave a solid green LED and booted to a black screen or flashed red-orange-green on the LED, while the other burn only gave the solid green LED. I believe the brand of the disc is okay; I used Verbatim DVD-Rs, the same I've used for other working burns of games. I suppose I could try taking the clean C and E files and putting them in the HDM folder, as well as a dashboard, and seeing if iND-BiOS will recognize it.

Normally with Hexen the led turns solid red when booting.

If you can even get the stock dash files on a hard drive the Xbox should boot to that.

As Raja mentioned  and it's probably the easiest method would be use a DVD drive from another OG Xbox ( DVD drives are interchangeable between the 1.0 - 1.6) even if it's to just set up the hard drive with a dash as once it boots to a dash you can FTP everything else or connect the drive to a PC and use FATXplorer.

Cheers

SS Dave

55 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Normally with Hexen the led turns solid red when booting.

If you can even get the stock dash files on a hard drive the Xbox should boot to that.

As Raja mentioned  and it's probably the easiest method would be use a DVD drive from another OG Xbox ( DVD drives are interchangeable between the 1.0 - 1.6) even if it's to just set up the hard drive with a dash as once it boots to a dash you can FTP everything else or connect the drive to a PC and use FATXplorer.

Cheers

SS Dave

Only problem is that this DVD drive is the only one I have that even remotely works, as the other two have serious mechanical problems. I did use ImgBurn for my previous burned disks that worked, so maybe PowerISO is the issue? I don't have any more DVDs to write to at the moment so I'd have to order more for that. In the meantime, I guess I'll just try making the drive through XboxHDM and will post results.

7 hours ago, benis said:

Also, by the "original game disc," do you mean the disc I used for softmodding through game save exploit? My copy of Splinter Cell did run on every attempt that I booted it on, so it should be fine.

If you have the original SC disc and the game saves are still on the Xbox then you'll have FTP access if you just get to the installer dash using Checkpoints as you did when softmodding. The installer is basically just a modified UnleashX dash and has all the tools needed to get a working main dash XBE on C:\. As long as the HDD is still locked the installer dash should still launch.

It would help to know what the IND-BIOS boot priority is, I don't know as I've never used it but if it can be confirmed then all that should be needed is to put the appropriate main dash XBE on C:\ or whatever location it is set up to use. You can do that using the installer file manager or FTP.

Once done the TSOP should boot to that dash and you can then clean up the softmod files causing the problems.

Basically all a hardmodded dash is the original C:\ and E:\ MS dash files/folders but with a new main dash XBE added on C:\. With the IND-BIOS there's a configuration file added too.