OGXbox.com

UnleashX vs XBMC

retrosherman

33 minutes ago, retrosherman said:

Hey guys, I just installed UnleashX like back in the day, only to find out about XBMC. I was just wondering besides being visually stunning how does it compare to UnleashX?

I use XBMC4Gamers on every Xbox I update unless the owner really wants a different dash, So far no one has said can I have Unleash or Evox once they try 4Gamers.

The only other Dash that I get asked for is the Dragon fully loaded or the 2tb Origins fully loaded.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I use XBMC4Gamers on every Xbox I update unless the owner really wants a different dash, So far no one has said can I have Unleash or Evox once they try 4Gamers.

The only other Dash that I get asked for is the Dragon fully loaded or the 2tb Origins fully loaded.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I see I see, well then it's most definitely better then. Out with the old, in with the new I suppose. Looking forward to installing it tomorrow. 🙂

2 hours ago, retrosherman said:

I see I see, well then it's most definitely better then. Out with the old, in with the new I suppose. Looking forward to installing it tomorrow. 🙂

You will not be disappointed withXBMC4Gamers.

Cheers

SS Dave

6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

You should always have UnleashX installed as an app even if you're using XBMC or a variant as your main dash.

Just wondering why have Unleash as well?

Cheers

SS Dave

I usually have XBMC as my dashboard and I keep UnleashX as an app for cases when I need to do certain things XBMC can't do. UnleashX offers better FTP speeds/features, can lock/unlock drives, among a few other features. XBMC is a polished app and good for daily use. UnleashX is good for the uncommon moments when you need to do something more technical.

Xbmc4gamers is a good choice. I personally prefer regular XBMC.

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You will not be disappointed withXBMC4Gamers.

Cheers

SS Dave

It's great man, I love it. But.. I'm trying to understand how the artwork works. I have CoinOPS 8 Massive installed and there is artwork for CoinOPS but it's not linking to mine. Do I have to rename the title or folder to a certain name for it to register with the artwork? Here's the artwork XML.

<synopsis>
<sourcename>CoinOPS-MB</sourcename>
<foldername>Coinops</foldername>
<title>Coinops</title>
<developer>BritneysPAIRS</developer>
<publisher>N/A</publisher>
<features_general>N/A</features_general>
<features_online>N/A</features_online>
<esrb>Not Rated</esrb>
<esrb_descriptors>Not Rated</esrb_descriptors>
<genre>Video Games</genre>
<release_date>2000's</release_date>
<rating>8.5</rating>
<platform>Arcade</platform>
<exclusive>N/A</exclusive>
<titleid>N/A</titleid>
<overview>Visually impressive multi emulator and Xbox frontend with an Arcade feel.</overview>
</synopsis>

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Just wondering why have Unleash as well?

Cheers

SS Dave

UnleashX has a built in text reader/editor - the XBMC Notepad script is a bit rubbish. UnleashX also displays .XBX image files, XBMC doesn't, speed boost for FTP, more system info provided and, IMHO, the file manager is superior mainly due to some bad GUI decisions they made with v3.0 series XBMC. Not sure if that applies to XBMC4Gamers. 

Edited by HDShadow

6 hours ago, retrosherman said:

It's great man, I love it. But.. I'm trying to understand how the artwork works. I have CoinOPS 8 Massive installed and there is artwork for CoinOPS but it's not linking to mine. Do I have to rename the title or folder to a certain name for it to register with the artwork? Here's the artwork XML.

<synopsis>
<sourcename>CoinOPS-MB</sourcename>
<foldername>Coinops</foldername>
<title>Coinops</title>
<developer>BritneysPAIRS</developer>
<publisher>N/A</publisher>
<features_general>N/A</features_general>
<features_online>N/A</features_online>
<esrb>Not Rated</esrb>
<esrb_descriptors>Not Rated</esrb_descriptors>
<genre>Video Games</genre>
<release_date>2000's</release_date>
<rating>8.5</rating>
<platform>Arcade</platform>
<exclusive>N/A</exclusive>
<titleid>N/A</titleid>
<overview>Visually impressive multi emulator and Xbox frontend with an Arcade feel.</overview>
</synopsis>

Have you downloaded the Artwork installer?

Cheers

SS Dave

On 12/12/2020 at 1:51 AM, HDShadow said:

UnleashX has a built in text reader/editor - the XBMC Notepad script is a bit rubbish. UnleashX also displays .XBX image files, XBMC doesn't, speed boost for FTP, more system info provided and, IMHO, the file manager is superior mainly due to some bad GUI decisions they made with v3.0 series XBMC. Not sure if that applies to XBMC4Gamers. 

that's why i have unleashx in my apps folder, just because of FTP usability.

anything else is XBMC. Specially xbmc4gamers, coverflow is dope, downloader is awosem: dlc, patches, apps, you name it.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, SS_Dave said:

Have you downloaded the Artwork installer?

Cheers

SS Dave

Yep, but it wasn't installing the artwork automatically. No worries though I figured it out. I just downloaded the artwork from Rocky5's google drive and manually put it in the root folder, all good now.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, HDShadow said:

Yeah I agree, I absolutely love the artwork but.. XBMC4Gamers is far inferior to UnleashX and I decided to go back to it. XBMC is to limited, it's like using an iPhone compared to an Android lol. Glad I tried it out though.

Edited by retrosherman

I'm not sure in what way you think UnleashX is better than XBMC4Gamers. I've not used XBMC4Gamers but I do use XBMC and as a multi-media tool, particularly as a music player, it is in a different league to UX. The UX music player is seriously flawed.

What it does do well is just playing random music whilst you're using the main dash. If that's all you want it is great but as far as organising a music collection goes there's no comparison.   

On 12/16/2020 at 7:27 PM, HDShadow said:

I'm not sure in what way you think UnleashX is better than XBMC4Gamers. I've not used XBMC4Gamers but I do use XBMC and as a multi-media tool, particularly as a music player, it is in a different league to UX. The UX music player is seriously flawed.

What it does do well is just playing random music whilst you're using the main dash. If that's all you want it is great but as far as organising a music collection goes there's no comparison.   

It's not really.. I just like the look and feel of UnleashX better. XBMC4Gamers is too blah and simple looking but I'm getting used to it so maybe I'll stick with it.

Simple looking? I assume your experience of it must be when using whatever the default skin is for XBMC4Gamers or the basic XBMC PM3/Project Mayhem III skins which with their grey theme are functional but uninspiring.

You need to try a more adventurous, customisable skin with XBMC like Origins or, my favourite, the updated Xbox-Classic skin. Much as I love UnleashX having customised its menus, edited (an ongoing project) and created many skins XBMC is a much more sophisticated dashboard in every respect.

As said, I wouldn't be without both on my Xboxes either as main dash or apps (multiple versions). In fact I also have EvoX (principally for BIOS flashing) and Avalaunch too although the latter gets very little use.

34 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Simple looking? I assume your experience of it must be when using whatever the default skin is for XBMC4Gamers or the basic XBMC PM3/Project Mayhem III skins which with their grey theme are functional but uninspiring.

You need to try a more adventurous, customisable skin with XBMC like Origins or, my favourite, the updated Xbox-Classic skin. Much as I love UnleashX having customised its menus, edited (an ongoing project) and created many skins XBMC is a much more sophisticated dashboard in every respect.

As said, I wouldn't be without both on my Xboxes either as main dash or apps (multiple versions). In fact I also have EvoX (principally for BIOS flashing) and Avalaunch too although the latter gets very little use.

I see, I didn't know there was any more skins. I thought everything on the URL downloader was it, guess I was wrong, haha. Thanks though, I'll check those out now!

Edit: Not interested in Origins, don't wanna make this like like a 360 it deserves better. Where do I find this Xbox-Classic skin you are talking about?

Edited by retrosherman
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what skins can be applied to XBMC4Gamers but this thread may help:-

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1214-looking-for-xbmc-skins-pack/

The updated Xbox-Classic skin may be found by following the links here:-

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3775

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3039

It is not perfect and I added one 'tweak' of my own to it since but there are also a few other minor things not quite right above my XBMC4Xbox knowledge level to be able to fix.

Edited by HDShadow

I use XBMC daily but not because I particularly "like" it better. I personally prefer UnleashedX. I think it is just better to navigate and I like the settings interface much better. But what I don's like is the SLOW loading if you have a hard drive full of games. That alone forces me to use XBMC for the primary dash....but I still zap back to UnleashedX here and there for things ;)

• Like 1