OGXbox.com

FTP file transfer issues with original Xbox, please help!

Miki248

Hello guys.

My FTP file transfer from PC to Xbox internal drive is extremely slow (takes over half an hour to transfer one backup game and either the console and the FTP software gets frozen during the process numerous times). I have checked numerous tutorials and most of them are using Filezilla but in my case the Filezilla cannot connect so I use CuteFTP. 

My Xbox console is modded to EvoX version 3.1.

Here are the screenshots of the menu and settings:

https://ibb.co/wJWbCVQ

https://ibb.co/GdhKT5W

I am using the LAN cable connected from console to the WiFi modem. I have very fast Internet connection and I am not doing any downloading or uploading while trying the transfer process.

What should I do? Please advise.

The speed of you internet has nothing to do with how quick the files a transferred from you PC to the Xbox

At best you will get 10mbit connection from the Xbox and most only get a 8mbit transfer speed.

Try limiting the number of connections to 1 on the Xbox and in the FTP software, Some people say 2 connections work well but it depends on the size and number for files you are transferring.

In my view remove the hard drive and connect it to the PC and use FATXplorer to copy the files, I can copy around 1.8tb in under 24 hours.

There is no real need to hide the IP address in the pic's as that is your local network address and non the one for the outside world.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, Miki248 said:

I am using the LAN cable connected from console to the WiFi modem

Is your computer connected to your WiFi modem wirelessly? If so, try connecting using an ethernet cable instead. Also, what speeds specifically are you seeing in your FTP program on your computer? 8-10MB/s (60-88mbps) is considered good.

8 hours ago, Miki248 said:

in my case Filezilla cannot connect

That's odd. FileZilla should work. That's what I use. The fact that it doesn't connect makes me wonder if there's something odd about your home network or your computer's firewall settings. Are you sure your PC doesn't have firewall rules blocking FTP?

A few tips to keep in mind:

• The dashboard/FTP app you're using on the Xbox matters. Some are slower than others. XBMC is particularly slow. I use UnleashX. Test multiple dashboards and find out if they are all slow or not.
  • FTP settings: Set your FTP client to "passive" with a max number of connections of 2. Setting it to 1 is okay as well. 2 helps a little with transferring tons of small files (like the files in an Xbox game folder). I personally use FileZille.
  • It shouldn't matter, but try using DHCP on your Xbox instead of static IP. I'm not sure how to change this in EvoX. You may just be able to highlight "static" and press A to change it to DHCP.
    • Like Dave said, you don't have to cover up your Xbox's IP address. (Mine is 192.168.1.121)
  • Try a different ethernet cable or even a different physical port on your WiFi modem.
  • Use wired connections for both your PC and your Xbox. If using wireless, be aware of what wifi speed you're using and wifi signal strength.

49 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

At best you will get 10mbit connection from the Xbox and most only get a 8mbit transfer speed.

I think you mean MB/s? I get 8-10 megabytes per sec (MB/s), or ~60-88 mbits per sec (mbps).

54 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

remove the hard drive and connect it to the PC and use FATXplorer

I agree with Dave, but only if you're building a new hard drive and copying lots of files all at once. Otherwise, it's much easier (especially for inexperienced people) to use FTP and not take apart the Xbox.

PC connected wireless is my first guess, switching to Ethernet cable will narrow it down like Scotch suggests.

Also check which frequency and protocol(i.e b/g/n) the PC wireless connection uses:

Frequency,    Theoretical Speed, Real-World Speed
2.4 GHz (802.11b),    11 Mbps,    2-3 Mbps
2.4 GHz (802.11g),    54 Mbps,    10 -29 Mbps
2.4 GHz (802.11n),    300 Mpbs,   150 Mbps
5 GHz (802.11a),    6-54 Mbps,    3 - 32 Mbps
5 GHz (802.11ac),    433 Mbps - 1.7 Gbps, 210 Mbps - 1 G
5 GHz (802.11n),    900 Mbps,    450Mbps

If you live in a very built up area or many devices using your router or thick old walls with metal in them, then your wireless may achieve less than those real world speeds (as Scotch mentions check transfer rate in FTP program)

Other issue might be too much traffic overloading your router (other devices/people streaming), faulty cable/connection, some old routers are 10Mpbs limited, some NIC and routers are rated 100Mpbs but perform far less. 

For comparison, I get 1GB contiguous transfer in 95 seconds, Filezilla (Limited 1 connection), windows 7 (no firewall), 100Mbps router, all ethernet cable connections, static IP's, nobody else using the router. (much the same speed with a direct cross over cable)

Edited by corona2222

Hello guys, I have great news!

I bought the crossover cable but when I tried that method it showed the same result.

However, when I installed the UnleashX and tried again it worked like a charm!

I hope it will continue working fine. 

If I can repay somehow please let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!

Kind regards