OGXbox.com

XCM Crystal xbox found

RunningRiot

Hello people of OGxbox.com It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. 
I recently picked up this crystal XCM with display, Executer bios chip modded xbox from an electronics receclying center. When I saw it, it caught my eye and it was in being sold as "As-is for parts or repair" because they couldnt figure out how to boot it up. I thought it would be a fun project to get it working again. When i picked it up I had no idea it had a mod chip and I was perplexed by the buttons on the case (and still kind of am). But anyway I figured out how to flash the bios and now have it running XBMC.

I found this forum by googling Xbox XCM case to try and find out more about it. I came across this thread. 

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/876-xcm-third-party-shells-xbox-custom-mods/

I was intrigued by this line "Finding an XCM shell in worthy condition (Not cracked or Yellowed) is hard to find nowadays and can fetch for a high price."

So i did a little more research and found another post on this forum which I am unable to find again of people talking about price tags for these being around 500$ and one user was willing to pay "top dollar" for a red or a crystal one. I thought that was pretty cool that I had something that seems to be rare. 

But even more interesting is I could only find one picture on the internet of an XCM shell with these buttons and the LCD display. which makes me curious of the value since people are talking about ~500$ for one without the display.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-PAL-Xbox-with-XCM-Red-Crystal-Top-Case-Xblast-230V/402526075343?hash=item5db86c79cf:g:RrgAAOSw6rZfnmmR

https://amp.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/b389fb/xcm_aftermarket_shell_value/

So I am curious what is the value and rarity of this style in this condition? Also what exactly are the buttons for on the left? From what i gather they have something to do witht the bios memory banks? 

Thank you very much.

sorry for the double post in the 'introductions' section. I am not sure how to delete it. 

IMG_20201205_193701641.jpg

IMG_20201205_205833951.jpg

IMG_20201205_205845659.jpg

IMG_20201205_214909640.jpg

• Like 1

not sure on the value (a lot more than you paid tho) but congrats on the very nice find, i believe the xecuter 3 front panel was an optional addon to the xecuter 3 modchip, but i dont know about the replacement dvd bezel so it maybe a replacment xcm case with the xecuter 3 front panel?

Edited by bolofski

9 hours ago, tjd2 said:

Please show us inside. I wonder what hdd is inside, what revision is it and whether it's ram upgraded.

I doubt is been ram upgraded as it only has 35mb free.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Welcome to the forums

What you have is an Xbox that has an "X3 Control Panel" (aka "x3cp") and an XCM aftermarket case. It might have other mods done to it too (can't tell from photos). The "X3" part of "X3CP" refers to the Xecuter 3 modchip that is installed inside the system that the X3CP is designed to work with. XCM cases are one thing and the X3 Control Panels are another. You can add either or both to an Xbox (yours has both). Yours has an XCM case top (and bottom?), XCM DVD bezel, and an X3CP. X3 Control Panels are very rare and highly sought after by collectors. They came in several colors with the standard black color being the most common, which means your "crystal" version is a little more rare. The LCD screen on the right shows system status info and connects to the X3 modchip. The USB ports allow for connecting keyboard/mice/flash drives/etc. The iR receiver window on the left allows for an internal iR remote receiver mod.

15 hours ago, RunningRiot said:

what is the value and rarity of this style in this condition?

Regular black Xboxes with X3 control panels can go for over $300+ these days. Yours being a crystal, it may fetch more. You could get up to $450 or $500, but it just depends on how many people happen to be interested and how much spare cash they have that day. Personally, I would be surprised if it got up to $500. My guess- closer to $350. But it's hard to say. It also depends on what else has been done to the Xbox and its overall condition. If it has a big hard drive and comes pre-loaded with games, that generally increases the value quite a bit too.

I could only find one picture on the internet of an XCM shell with these buttons and the LCD display. which makes me curious of the value since people are talking about ~500$ for one without the display.

In the link you shared, someone mentioned $500 for a new XCM, but I strongly disagree with that. Someone else said $300 and another person disagreed too.

The best indicator of value is looking at past sales. Since you can't look up what an item sold for on ebay after the auction has ended, you're often times left looking at buy-it-now listings on ebay, and most of the time people are asking way too much for their modded Xboxes. These things don't have set price points or an MSRP, so it's all just based on what people are willing to pay. And each Xbox comes with different accessories and might have different mods done to them, which greatly affects its value. Don't put much weight into listings you see on ebay. What people ask for and what people actually pay are often two very different things. The market for rare Xboxes or custom/modded Xboxes can sometimes get "confused" in my opinion. It's not always clear why a particular modded Xbox is valued highly, and sometimes other people with similar (but less-valuable) units will then list theirs for high price tags too, even though they're worth much less.

The ebay listing you linked to has a red XCM top case on an (official Microsoft-made) crystal Xbox. Crystal Xboxes by themselves generally go for ~$140 USD up to ~$200, sometimes more depending on its condition, what it comes with, etc. XCM cases or any aftermarket case (GhostCase is another) generally have a smaller market than people buying/selling limited edition Xboxes made by Microsoft themselves. They're valuable to modders, but collectors will sometimes pass on them because they're made by a 3rd party company and not part of the whole Xbox "history" or "lineage" that an official Xbox case has. But this smaller market is also often times willing to pay a decent amount for XCM cases just because they look cool, so the value for those cases is generally still pretty decent.

Personally as a collector, I don't care about XCM or GhostCase units at all and I don't think I've ever tried to actively seek out and buy one. They're usually inferior quality (cheaper plastic) compared to official 1st-party limited edition Xboxes. Sometimes the screw threads strip easier, the case cracks easier, it can't be taken apart/put back together as many times, and so on. And like I said, it's from a 3rd-party so it lacks the lineage of an official Xbox case (which some people care about, myself included). The X3CP on your Xbox is the star of the show. The XCM part of it is garnishing on the plate that helps it all match and look nice. Other collectors may have different opinions.

If you're going to sell it, just list it as an auction with a low starting bid.

Also what exactly are the buttons for on the left? From what i gather they have something to do witht the bios memory banks? 

Correct. The buttons on the front left determine which BIOS the Xbox boots up into. This allows a person to have multiple BIOSes installed and switch between them depending on their needs. One BIOS could be for running Linux, another could be for the stock Xbox BIOS, and others could be custom BIOSes to experiment and play around with. You could have one BIOS that shows a fancy custom startup animation and another BIOS could boot the Xbox into a different dashboard application.

5 hours ago, Darren205 said:

Great find just the X3CP front is very sort after in the USA. No idea on a rarity and value of case. If you do want to part with it let me know would look great next to blue xcm 

Thank you Daren. I may be interested in parting with it in the near future. By the way the 205 in your handle makes me wonder if you are in the Marion County area of Alabama. Would this be this case? Thank you.

@GoTeamScotchThank you for the detailed and informative response!

Here are some more pictures as requested. 

Here. The image files are too large so i created a link. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dwe4ZkLcMqCZHvu4A

IMG_20201209_191423755.jpg

IMG_20201209_191517287.jpg

IMG_20201209_191851868.jpg

IMG_20201209_192217203.jpg

Edited by RunningRiot
pics didnt fit

16 hours ago, RunningRiot said:

Thank you Daren. I may be interested in parting with it in the near future. By the way the 205 in your handle makes me wonder if you are in the Marion County area of Alabama. Would this be this case? Thank you.

@GoTeamScotchThank you for the detailed and informative response!

Here are some more pictures as requested. 

Here. The image files are too large so i created a link. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dwe4ZkLcMqCZHvu4A

IMG_20201209_191423755.jpg

IMG_20201209_191517287.jpg

IMG_20201209_191851868.jpg

IMG_20201209_192217203.jpg

Great pictures. It's not I'm from the UK. A Peugeot 205 GTI is my favourite car that's all it is.

Yeah let me know if you do definitely interested if your willing to ship overseas

Added a picture of my blue 

Thanks 👍

Screenshot_20201210-201550312.jpg